Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
techman19602002  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 05, 2010 9:15:46 PM(UTC)
techman19602002

Groups: Registered

I am a current federal employee. I got a new job with DCMA in Philadelphia. They sent a real nice packet that mentions using my GTCC for all PCS costs. I am required to notify my losing organization prior to leaving so they can change the status of my card. I called up the GTCC manager and said I wasn't allowed to use the GTCC for PCS cost, only military can. He suggested to contact our CPO representative.  We are going through a transition right now and don't really have a CPO rep. However, I talked with our old CPO rep and she says the GTCC manager is wrong and out of date but can't help us because....she is not our rep anymore. Angry
I have looked at the JFTR and can't find anything that says I am or am not authorized to use the GTCC for my PCS costs. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks.
techman19602002  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 05, 2010 10:14:57 PM(UTC)
techman19602002

Friend of mine just sent me this answer:

Effective 10 June 2009, the individually billed travel charge card can be used for relocation expenses per a memorandum signed by Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army, Financial Operations.

I am assuming this applies across the DoD and not just DA.

Pick  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:02:56 AM(UTC)
Pick

Your GTCC manager may not be up to date.  If your GTCC manager is misinformed, you'd have to go over his/her head to find out.   I retired in January, but I had that same memo.  I would not assume it applies across DoD as the various services have the authority to make policy regarding their travel cards. 
jake.valentine  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:22:19 AM(UTC)
jake.valentine

I avoid using my government credit card at all costs, but the manager is completely wrong. Not only are you allowed to use it, but they prefer you use it. It helps them track costs and I am sure the government gets some kind of kick back.....ahem! rebate from BoA. Make sure you are looking that the civilian JTR (Volume 2) and not the uniformed military JTR (Volume 1). they can be found here: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html
Pick  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:50:59 AM(UTC)
Pick

It is Citibank now - not BoA.  And although the government may prefer it, most card manager's do not.  There's a little section on the clearing papers for card managers to sign when you leave, and in the instance of using it on PCS, they are signing it without turning off your card.  They retain responsibility for it until you sign into the new agency and that credit card manager pulls you into their heirarchy.  So, if you go delinquent while on PCS, the command gets the hit for it and they have no real way of rectifying the situation. 
jake.valentine  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:34:40 AM(UTC)
jake.valentine

It sounds like the culture is different from agency to agency. Where I work they act like you are giving away the nuclear launch codes if you don't use your government credit card while on official travel which includes a PCS move. Our travel manager acts like you are personally insulting him if you don't use your government card for every transaction while on travel.
Pick  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 08, 2010 3:54:50 AM(UTC)
Pick

There are some card managers who are like that - I have even had a few.  Every time one of those tried to make me use my government card for everything, I asked them to please show me in either reg or policy where it said I had to.  They hated me.   I would much rather rack up the points on my own card than the government card any day.
DoyleHargraves  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 08, 2010 8:35:35 AM(UTC)
DoyleHargraves

Pick wrote:
There are some card managers who are like that - I have even had a few.  Every time one of those tried to make me use my government card for everything, I asked them to please show me in either reg or policy where it said I had to.  They hated me.   I would much rather rack up the points on my own card than the government card any day.

41 CFR 301-51.1

Pick  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:09:42 AM(UTC)
Pick

DoyleHargraves wrote:
Pick wrote:

41 CFR 301-51.1

I can play that game too - 41 CFR 301-51.2.  Note I said everything.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed