Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wwill84751  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 6:03:59 AM(UTC)
wwill84751

Groups: Registered

Ok so I got my approval letter last week, say on Monday saying I have been approved for my disability. And by Friday I had $16K in my account. I haven't worked since I quit work. I stalled on putting my paperwork in until that last minute. I held out hoping I could or would go back to federal employment, that's all I knew and know.  Anyway I was relieved that I got my approval and figured it would be awhile yet before I seen any monies deposited into my account. I haven't gotten any other paperwork, just my approval letter. So I don't know what I am looking at. It said I would be getting about 80% of my interim amount until they get everything finalized. I am not spending it but moved it to savings. So what I'm wondering is what process has been for some of you all?  I read people having been getting $600 a month until its all said and done. So I just figured I would probably get about $800 and then one lump some when it was finalized so I just don't know what the deal is and best way to get some information is thru people who have been through this themselves. So anyone out there reading this and knows or been thru this process please respond with what the protocol is for disability. Thanks for your help, insight!
Bugser  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 6:42:58 AM(UTC)
Bugser

I've been reading old posts trying to figure out what happens next, too. I also got my approval letter last Monday but have not received any money yet. Congrats!
wwill84751  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 7:07:11 AM(UTC)
wwill84751

Congrats to you as well! I sure hope someone can tell me what the deal is. Im just glad its over with and can get on with my life. I dont know why I didnt do it earlier. I figured I would get screwed out of it like I did with unemployment, just glad things are laying in place now. Post and let me know when you get more info.
oktoots  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 7:22:04 AM(UTC)
oktoots

You should receive a letter in the mail from OPM in a short period of time telling you that you have been placed in interim payment status. The amount is different for everyone, but normally is 70-80% of what you will eventually receive for your annuity. It should begin 5-6 weeks after the receipt of that letter. That is the way it went for me, anyway. 
  Just make sure, if you are FERS, that they have a copy of the receipt of the confirmation that you applied for Social Security disability.
multiple identities to 0%
grasshopperpete  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:08:52 PM(UTC)
grasshopperpete

Worked the same way for me, too, oktoots.

But it took about a year for OPM to determine that I had been overpaid and now my repayment is deducted monthly for a few years (ouch!).

So very good idea to hold some of that lumpsum back if you're able...just in case.

oktoots  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:40:12 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Just when I was finalized after being on interim payments for 3 months, OPM notified me that I was also overpaid by $500. So they are now deducting $50 from my annuity for the next 10 months.
  It worked out to be exactly what my health benefit premiums added up to for 3 months and 2 days while I was on interim payments.
multiple identities to 0%
Bugser  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:46:12 AM(UTC)
Bugser

Is the "back payment"  from Last Day In Pay Status done when the case is finalized?
wwill84751  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:27:28 AM(UTC)
wwill84751

I dont know anything other then my case was approved and now have the 16K depsot from civil service. I havent worked since Dec 2008 so I would assume that is a part payment for disability @ 60% my first year, I would now on my 40%. I have not recieved any paperwork yet other then the approval letter. I am still going thru SSI, have dr appts to go yet, no telling when they will get done with that part. It just blows my mind because the govt is so slow and then I get that much money all the sudden and no paperwork stating anything! Not spending it though... lol

wwill84751  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:15:01 AM(UTC)
wwill84751

Well guess what I got my statement from OPM so I am releived that it came today and also glad that the 16k is not all I have coming. This is just from 7/09 till 3/10 but my last day in pay was 12/08 so I should still see another lump sum when all is thru. However I am wondering what happens when it comes to the health insurance will the deduct the whole amount as if Ive had coverage for the last year and a half? It does not go into details so??? However I want my health and life insurance like I had when I was employed. They sure did tax the crap out of me though, taking almost $4K out in federal tax and I claim 5 dependants, but will get that back when I file takes for next year. So now I cant wait till all this is done and I can figure out what I get and can somewhat get my life back on track! Thanks for all your imput, I will continue to check here and give information because it is slow coming from OPM...   
Rss Feed  Atom Feed