Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mander57  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:02:06 AM(UTC)
mander57

Groups: Registered

I have been trying for awhile to find the answer to a question on how to figure out the effect of the windfall elimination provision on my upcoming Social Security benefit.  Finally found the answer.   On the chance that someone who reads Fed Soup may have the same question, I'll try to explain the answer here. 

As a Civil Service Offset retiree, I had 36 years of federal service, 23 of those in offset.  Since I only have three years of substantial earnings outside of government, and therefore a total of 26 years of  SS earnings, I do not have the requisite 30 years of substantial earnings to avoid the WEP.  When using online calculators to estimate the WEP, you have to know the amount of the "non-covered pension."  That is, what portion of the CSRS pension is attributed to the period when you were straight CSRS and not paying into Social Security?  The formula Social Security uses to figure the non-covered portion of your annuity is as follows:  "the [total] pension amount times the months of non-covered work after 1956 divided by the total months of work used to compute the pension." 

kelsey  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2010 1:30:01 PM(UTC)
kelsey

so maybe you can work a part time job now and earn another 4 years of substantial earnings?  is that an option?  would that then allow you to avoid the $370 a month deduction in your soc sec annuity?  That's interesting to me.  Do you collect the soc sec  supp annuity?  If so, then you are limited to earning just about $14,000 a year or whatever it is for this year to not mess up the soc sec supplement, right?
bev2009  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:36:34 AM(UTC)
bev2009

Thanks for that explanation.  I have been trying to find the calculation since I retired CSRS Offset and will start SS this fall.
tucker515  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:50:14 PM(UTC)
tucker515

I would ask this in the benefits forum.
I am sorry, but I do not have the time to respond to private messages. I will not respond to them.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed