Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
maloi  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 4:13:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Got my conditional offer early 2009 and security clearance in May 2009.   All is good, except the funding issue  Cry  $$ Cry

Should the waiting people, like myself, keep on waiting or move on to something else after 1 year of waiting for the $ to come around?

Shemaiya  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 5:03:03 AM(UTC)

Maloi - have you checked out the lastest information under the CBP Auditor folder? What location did you initially apply for?

What I'd recommend is that you continuously apply to other positions. That way your options are open. Conditional offers are contingent upon the agency having the funds and a vacant position available. Until you receive a firm offer, its best to continuously apply to other agencies and work on the wording of your KSA's and resume until you receive a final offer in hand.
maloi  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 10:50:00 AM(UTC)

Shemaiya, I checked few forums here.  I see that few people got hired for the position, some got recsision emails and the rest are unknown.  Initially I applied for NJ office.  I see you are on the forum since Aug 09, from your observation, is it common that some people are waiting for a year and/or longer to get EOD?
Shemaiya  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 11:09:45 AM(UTC)

Honestly I dont know - but I've been reading the boards and it seems like EOD's range according to the hiring agency. But according to some of the responses on this board, I've noticed that DHS is pretty slow when it comes down to hiring.
maloi  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2010 12:27:15 AM(UTC)

It seems like users on the forum apply for multiple positions and wait for one of them to come around.  Eventually the ones that apply for a right place at a right time get on board.  Most likely when the economy gets better, there will be more funding available and the candidates who qualify will get their calls and/or other invitations.  Hopefully this will happen before the retirement age comes around Thumbs Down   

To be serious, we should probably not wait for anyone’s contact, maybe check back every once in a while, and hunt for the other positions within USAJ or maybe look within other public/private sectors. 

Shemaiya  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2010 2:53:17 AM(UTC)

That's true Maloi. I signed up to be notified via email when new jobs are posted on USAJOBS. Once I'm notified I read the job requirements/qualifications and I apply.

The other day I was referred for a job that I applied for back in September 2009.

Although this is a long and tedious process, I'm optimistic that the opportunity will come through when I least expect it.

Keep trying and dont give up.
maloi  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:06:45 AM(UTC)

I agree with you Shemaiya.  Lets keep on applying for the positions of interest, and one or the other should eventually come though. 
Rss Feed  Atom Feed