Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HKEVIN  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:26:52 AM(UTC)
HKEVIN

Groups: Registered

Hello Everyone, I am transitioning to civilian work soon and I was wondering how do I indicate my clearance on my resume. First of all, is it allowed to indicate on your resume that you have a security clearance? Second, can you post that on job sites such as careerbuilder.com, monster.com, etc? What I am trying to do is really find out how to advertise my clearance to prospective employers and I want to know how. Thank you in advance.  Kevin
Scotter  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:59:55 AM(UTC)
Scotter

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I just listed mine under qualifications as:

Active DoD Security Clearance through 2014.

Scotter

CI_Wannabe  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 05, 2010 9:18:12 AM(UTC)
CI_Wannabe

I listed mine

type of clearance and adjudication date

computerscott2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 05, 2010 9:30:55 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

Just list it as highest clearance ever held was XXXXXX. It is not a national seceret that you held a clearance, no matter how high it is. Just don't get into specifics such as "I held uber-Top-Secret clearance to the Nuclear Fission room at the Los Alamos Nuclear site, Room 23B, Bldg 4298, C Street, where all the nuclear secrets are held." You do have to be careful not to list classified information in your resumes, but your clearance level is not classified info.
Remember as soon as you leave the service (or any agency), and no one continues to act as your "Sponsor" (like your new agency), then you no longer have an "active" clearance.  Just because your renewal date has not come up yet, does not mean that your clearance is still active or is still good until that date.
CASDGuy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:21:14 AM(UTC)
CASDGuy

So what's the point of this?

And how are the civlian company going to verify you even have a clearance.  Plus the clearance isn't "yours".  It's the government.  It's not like you can pull out your clearance card.
Zephyrus  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 3:26:03 AM(UTC)
Zephyrus

CASDGuy wrote:
So what's the point of this?

And how are the civlian company going to verify you even have a clearance.  Plus the clearance isn't "yours".  It's the government.  It's not like you can pull out your clearance card.

I've wondered this for a while and I asked about it about a month or so ago on another forum thread.  Here is the gist of what I was told.

The companies that include "must have active security clearance" in their ads are targeting active duty military or current feds about to leave, recently left or who could be enticed to leave for the big private sector bucks.  Even though the clearance is not theirs to "keep", it is easier to re-activate / transfer the clearance of such people rather than run the risk of a candidate who has to go through the entire lengthy process from scratch and may be denied.  Some forum participants who did not have prior clearance and went ahead and applied for such jobs have found the clearance process to be so lengthy that by the time they get it, the civilian company has given the job to someone else whose clearance came through faster.  It is true that at the time you apply for the job the company has to take your word on the clearance issue.  However, if they give you a conditional offer and start the clearance process and find that you lied they will pull the offer immediately without hesitation.
HKEVIN  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:58:21 AM(UTC)
HKEVIN

Thank you, I am still active. I read that years ago listing or advertising your clearance was a sure way to lose your clearance. I guess security clearance is more common these days and the laws or policies governing these matters have been upgraded also.
jake.valentine  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:55:04 AM(UTC)
jake.valentine

Your active clearance can be a huge asset in certain job fields. I advertise the type of clearance I have and list the year it expires. Clearances can be huge issues for hiring agencies/companies who get tired of hiring employees only to let them go later because the new hire can't obtain the necessary clearance. You would be just giving them 1 more reason to hire you and in this job market that really counts. I have never heard of anybody losing their clearance because they listed it on a resume. The fact that you have a clearance isn't classified. 
computerscott2  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:12:20 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

It is one thing to list your clearance in a resume, another if you list it on craigslist (online classified ads). The reason they may not have wanted you to list it years ago is due to the fact that if you advertised it you may have become a target for spies looking for someone to bribe.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed