Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Information Security

Information security can mean protecting information and information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification or destruction. This goes beyond just computers and networks. Risks and threats can come from individuals, acts of nature, and new technology.

This topic affects everyone in the federal workforce - top to bottom. Thus, it is also the responsibility of everyone in the federal workforce to protect the information from threats.

Share your experience with securing information.

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Greg  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:36:57 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just recently got my AS in Computer Science. I'm trying to figure out a good program for me to go into for my BA/BS cause i'm not good at programming at all and I want to do more with Net Security/Cyber Security, databases, etc. I'm about to take the A+ certification test in a few weeks. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door. The jobs are really limited where i'm at currently. My wife is stationed at a base that's in the middle of nowhere. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Shannon Mossman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2010 5:27:17 AM(UTC)
Reboot

DoD requires a minimum of A+ for Information Assurance Technician I (IAT-I) with different professional certifications required for different levels.  As far as I know, they are the only government entity requiring certifications.  You can Google for a copy of the DoD Directive 8570 for details.  The CompTIA Security+ is a good certification, and even better is the (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP). 

Western Governors University offers an online program for a BS in Information Technology with emphasis on different disciplines, including Information Security.  They recently introduced a MS program as well. www.wgu.edu has details.

Greg  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2010 5:35:23 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Thanks for the info. I know about CompTIA. My wife is a System Administrator in the AF and she did the two week boot camp with them for the A+. I've actually talked with them. They're boot camps are expensive as hell lol. I think for the A+, Net+, and Sec+ all together was like $10,000. I'm trying to see if the Voc Rehab program will pay for all my certs. They're paying for my A+ but its through a Technology Center here locally.

I've been trying to find a good program to do online while i'm here cause I don't have a University close enough to take classroom courses. I'm definitely going to look into Western Governors University. 
Loyal_Vet  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 04, 2010 9:33:20 AM(UTC)

Western Governor's University is a great starting place!

I'm just now going into my second semester, and I have gained Project+, CIW-A & CIW-P Certifications. It feels great getting certifications and my degree at the same time.

cheesefan  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 04, 2010 11:06:07 AM(UTC)

depending on your educational budget, you may be want to look at: http://www.umuc.edu/programs/undergrad/csia/index.shtml
Also,
check out the federal cyber service scholarship. : https://www.sfs.opm.gov/

If you are a vet, the GI bill will cover those certs. You are also not required to take the training to sit for the certification test. If you have a strong background, a good book and the internet can be very powerful.

Probably can even buy used books online.
Greg  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 10:57:00 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

cheesefan wrote:
depending on your educational budget, you may be want to look at: http://www.umuc.edu/programs/undergrad/csia/index.shtml
Also,
check out the federal cyber service scholarship. : https://www.sfs.opm.gov/

If you are a vet, the GI bill will cover those certs. You are also not required to take the training to sit for the certification test. If you have a strong background, a good book and the internet can be very powerful.

Probably can even buy used books online.

Its funny you posted the link to University of Maryland. I actually decided to go through them for my BS in Cyber Security. I'm going to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill...
Glenn  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:03:38 AM(UTC)
glenn12

Stay away from University of Maryland, University College if you are taking computer courses. Their classes are a joke and don't really prepare you for programming. Most of the teachers are not experienced teachers and come from the private sector.
If you go over to the University of Maryland side, then you are ok. But they dont have night classes.
Glenn  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:05:35 AM(UTC)
glenn12

About the COMPTIA Security+ certification. I am glad to hear that, because I am just starting a self study on that so I can be certified. Only I wish I had done this years ago, but never had the time because I was taking night courses for my first and second bachelors degree.
Greg  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:51:16 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

glenn12 wrote:
Stay away from University of Maryland, University College if you are taking computer courses. Their classes are a joke and don't really prepare you for programming. Most of the teachers are not experienced teachers and come from the private sector.
If you go over to the University of Maryland side, then you are ok. But they dont have night classes.

Wow.. Really? The classes are online for me. I live in Oklahoma.. I'm hoping to not have to do to much more programming cause it definitely is not my strong suit.
mat357  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:05:28 AM(UTC)

mrgregory29 wrote:
glenn12 wrote:

Wow.. Really? The classes are online for me. I live in Oklahoma.. I'm hoping to not have to do to much more programming cause it definitely is not my strong suit.

I'd look for certs... all the security people I know have certs... except one and he has an MBA, plus certs. 

Greg  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:54:02 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

mat357 wrote:
mrgregory29 wrote:
glenn12 wrote:

I'd look for certs... all the security people I know have certs... except one and he has an MBA, plus certs. 

I'm definitely going to try and knock out my certs.. I'm trying to find places I can take them.
Identity-H  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 6:58:18 AM(UTC)

mrgregory29 wrote:
I'm trying to find places I can take them.
Prometric is good, if they have a center in your area. I think they're in just about every state. I think the only IT certs you can't take there are Cisco ones.
mat357  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:23:11 PM(UTC)

mrgregory29 wrote:
mat357 wrote:
mrgregory29 wrote:
glenn12 wrote:

I'm definitely going to try and knock out my certs.. I'm trying to find places I can take them.

Whatever you do, don't get a "paper" cert... guy in another dept has one and they are trying to figure out what to do with him... talks a great game, but damn if he knows anything. 

I know more stuff about what he is a paper cert in than he does.... although, I blame the hiring manager (but that is another story).
Paul  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:28:13 PM(UTC)
paulj

If you want to improve your job prospects, one way to do that might be getting a Bachelor’s degree since more and more employers these days prefer candidates having at least a Bachelor’s in Computer Science or a related field to fill IT positions. You may also want to get some additional certifications to boost your chances further.

One thing I can tell you is that in the field of IT, experience is sometimes as important as a degree and certs. My brother, who is enrolled in a computer science degree at CollegeAmerica, is working hard to get some coding experience under his belt before he graduates. Of all the computer degrees available at CollegeAmerica, he chose to major in computer science because of its in-depth and holistic approach to the field.
kranhti  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 6:52:55 PM(UTC)

In my point of view experience is more better than some other additional certifications.Because, In experience learn more things.Mostly in IT ,computer program experience play a key role.May we improve our job prospects..

regards

Government Jobs
<a href="http://www.govtvacancies.com" target="_blank">Government Jobs</a>
DAC1975  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 9:09:59 PM(UTC)

Use this site to help study for Comptia certs:

Also as silly as it may sound, google free Security training, or use the internet as a tool to search for knowledge or flashcards, save up your extra cash and take one of the exams. Look into Windows exams, they are about 80 bucks, I know it may be easier to say than do but it isn't how hard it is to do really it is as simple as how many times you try, each attempt is a step closer to your goal!

Stay positive!!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
mcdonald416 on 1/12/2015(UTC)
truotsuko  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:39:16 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Well to the OP (original Poster), I saw WGU recommended and I second that, I am two exams from completing my Bachelors in Network and Design Management; you can fast pace your degree depending on your schedule, when I graduate I will have A+, S+, Project +, N+, CIW-Associate, CIW-JavaScript, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, and I got CISSP by self study.
I am also looking at their MS in Information Assurance, it has been certified by NSA and there are some very decent certifications you get along with a Masters Degree Cisco, Certified Network Associate (CCNA®), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT), EC-Council Disaster Recovery Professional Exam (312-76), EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures (EC0-350), EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC0-349), and GIAC G2700 (Standards and Policies). So as you can see once you are done you will be well credentialed and well balance (as IT security goes at least).

truotsuko2011-04-24 17:47:09
truotsuko  
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:40:28 AM(UTC)

Yea I also forgot to mention that alot of the credits you currently have will transfer over and help shorten your time to graduation, if you are interested the link to their BS programs is

http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/bachelor_degree_programs

best of luck.

truotsuko2011-04-24 17:46:09
truotsuko  
#19 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:27:40 PM(UTC)

http://www.nsa.gov/ia/ac...ed_institutions.shtml#ut
The NSA accreditation I was speaking of, nice to know that even an online school has it, and I could not find University of Pheonix on the page

Greg  
#20 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 5:19:24 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Forgot I made this thread. Was about to make another one. I'm moving to San Antonio in about two months and they have IT jobs galore down there. Civil Service and Contracting. So i'm looking to really get serious with gettingmy BS knocked out and some certs under my belt.
I figure going for my BS its better to be in the class room to have hands on vs doing all online. Is that a good assumption?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed