Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Information Security

Information security can mean protecting information and information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification or destruction. This goes beyond just computers and networks. Risks and threats can come from individuals, acts of nature, and new technology.

This topic affects everyone in the federal workforce - top to bottom. Thus, it is also the responsibility of everyone in the federal workforce to protect the information from threats.

Share your experience with securing information.

7 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
totj  
#61 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:07:26 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

truotsuko wrote:

Listen to anyone who cares, never once have tried to pass WGU as anything other than a fully credentialed University I have not and will not try to compare the school to any other. All I have ever tried to make folks understand in this thread is that the school has all the accreditations required by law to be called a university in the USA so you may not like their approach to teaching that is fine, but to deride something definitively all I ask is for evidence other than a speech, because every credible agency in the US can’t be wrong and a few citizens see the light based on what?

Fully credentialed to be called a University in the US? Diploma mills are credentialed and accredited... And theyre still ***** schools. 

Your logic is not impressive.

You ask for evidence? Seriously? Are you that ignorant? 

WGU has *NO* academic standards. No minimum GPA requirement. No minimum SAT or ACT score. No requirement for class attendance. "Competency-based" learning in which youre given credit for "life experiences" after you pass an "exam". WGU is founded by 20 Governors, 15 of which are Republicans and, to a sarcastic surprise, is fully operationally funded by more than a dozen corporations. 


Quote:
If they are so smart share the source of their knowledge for all to learn from, that is after all what blogs like this are about; it is about sharing knowledge not erroneous personal feelings backed with no facts at all.


1. This is not a blog.

2. The Department of Education is not an accrediting agency.

4. You dont get nationally accredited by being accredited by all regional accreditation bodies.

5. Your desperation is seeping through your posts. I dont care what school you go to. It just works out better for people like myself and others who have posted in this thread, who are working towards a real masters degree. Youre asking for proof the sky is blue... that doesnt need to be documented by any expert agencies. It simply takes a bit of awareness and common sense. 

6. My feelings about WGU arent personal. My statements are based off of the facts of the matter. I could give a ***** one way or another about WGU. It will never compare to either of the Universities Ive graduated from or are currently attending.

7. Good luck in your endeavors.


truotsuko  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:27:40 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)


Normal
0




false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE













MicrosoftInternetExplorer4



























































































































































/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}


Honestly totj your ignorance is beyond belief, Northwest
Commission on Colleges and Universities is the regional accrediting body that
accredited WGU and it is a recognized accrediting body. I gave you the verbatim
definition by the US Department of Education what is defined as a diploma mill
and yet you are still arguing, you have yet to make one cogent point against
the fact that the school is FULLY credentialed and accredited in the US. The
only thing you have is your personal bias; I ask you once more prove to me by
providing a source other than you that backs any one of your claims? You can't
so please the more you type the more you show your bias, you are entitled to
feel the way you want to but please do not misinform. You ask me if I am that
ignorant because I cannot get you to provide me a source, well if ignorance is requiring
proof other than your word of misleading claims then I guess I must be ignorant.


 


“My feelings about WGU arent personal. My statements are
based off of the facts of the matter. I could give a ***** one way or another
about WGU. It will never compare to either of the Universities Ive graduated from or are currently attending.”


Good for you, I never questioned any of your schools or
claimed that the school was anything other than accredited, and you say your
statements are not personal but based on facts? What facts? The ones you
dreamed up last night, as I have said and will continue to say the school is
regionally accredited like it or not, the proof is in the pudding and you have
shown nothing but your opinion and until you provide a link to a credible accrediting agency it will continue to remain your opinion and not fact.


Are you that blinded by your hatred for WGU that you will not even research the link I am providing you now? http://www.nwccu.org/Directory%20of%20Inst/Alpha%20Cluster/w_z.html


Again this is a regional accrediting agency called the
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities have you ever heard of them? Please stop posting because your hatred is blinding you to facts.



totj  
#63 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:30:53 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

Mkay.

Good luck, lol!

totj2011-07-19 16:36:52
truotsuko  
#64 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:40:58 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
This is the definition of "Competency Based Learning" because I see that you are also misguided in what you think it means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competency-based_learning
Just get back to configuring routers, firewalls, or whatever else you do at work because you clearly do not have a clue what you are talking about regarding this specific issue.
totj  
#65 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:45:03 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

LOL one of these posts youll realize that youre not actually helping your case...

Again, good luck.
truotsuko  
#66 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:55:30 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
totj wrote:

Fully credentialed to be called a University in the US? Diploma mills are credentialed and accredited... And theyre still ***** schools.


You are not wrong on this point, diploma mills are accredited, just not by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities or any of the recognized accrediting agencies this is part of the reason that their credits do not transfer and why degrees from them are worthless.

Quote:

WGU is founded by 20 Governors, 15 of which are Republicans and, to a sarcastic surprise, is fully operationally funded by more than a dozen corporations. 


Why is this political, please this is not even a point because the for profit universities are funded by corporations and alumni.

Quote:
1. This is not a blog.


It may not be a blog, but it serves to inform as in forum.

Quote:

2. The Department of Education is not an accrediting agency.


Never claimed it was, only said that they provided verification that the school was accredited by one of the recognized agencies.

Quote:

4. You dont get nationally accredited by being accredited by all regional accreditation bodies.


I have already conceded that I was ignorant to this fact, but again the school is BOTH regionally and Nationally accredited, and the National Security Agency (which has more credibility than any single person here) has also accredited their IA Masters program.
truotsuko  
#67 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:56:15 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

totj wrote:
LOL one of these posts youll realize that youre not actually helping your case...

Again, good luck.


And lest you claim that using a wiki link gives no credibility, here is what it is defined as by the United States Department of Education...

http://www.ed.gov/oii-news/competency-based-learning-or-personalized-learning

So once again it is nowhere close to getting credit for life experience, please do not write on issues you know nothing of, and note nowhere in this entire thread did I attack you personally just your basis of thought. Online Universities do not compare to traditional schools, but simply because a University offers an online program does not automatically discredit the degree. It might surprise you to know that you can get a degree from an Ivy league school online (granted I believe you have to have a percentage of classes in person).

truotsuko2011-07-19 18:02:29
SF18C  
#68 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:16:57 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/25/2007(UTC)
Posts: 294

This is a riot, you two go back and forth to try and prove who's degree is better than the others.  The funny thing is in the last 30 or so 2210's that I have hired, what do you think was the last thing I looked at as a hiring criteria? 

 

But please don't stop this is some good stuff!

truotsuko  
#69 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:20:16 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I am not going to stop because this is actually fun for me, but one minor correction I have never challenged anyone's degree. Big smile

totj  
#70 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:27:59 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

Im not challenging one degree being better than another. Im challenging the premise that WGU is some sort of quality school worthy of any genuine academic recognition, or anything that should be taken seriously.

Most of the fed 2210s here were hired for their experience, and when education/experience/etc were "even", the decision usually went to street cred, or otherwise known as "who knows who".

Pending on your agency, at least from what I see in mine, the number of feds in the 2210 field in my range predominantly have degrees. It just depends on what level your working at, and the only thing that segregates you is what level of degree you have, but only as you get into the GS-13 and up range.

Every agency will be different. USAF stats below, current as of Feb 2011.







truotsuko  
#71 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:54:19 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Don't know why it took me this long to realize, you are a professional that accredits Universities; sorry if I ever doubted your word over the Department of Education.

M700lefty  
#72 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:16:28 AM(UTC)

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/28/2011(UTC)
Posts: 41

I've mainly left commenting to this post but I do read from time to time...

But I want to comment on one thing. While I was in my EET program at RIT, someone wanted to enter the Masters Program in Electrical Engineering but the Chairperson of the Masters Program decided that the prospective student should take a few courses to "make up" before matriculating into this EE graduate program. He was in my class doing his "make up" class. When we were talking I found he came from a school that I "never heard of" but thought heck I do not know everything. I checked his school but not thoroughly but I KNOW if he came from MIT or Carnegie Mellon or Chase Western or University of Illinois...he would be given a bit more attention. To enter graduate you need to have at least a 3.0 and possible SAT scores and the like. Now the school accepts someone under 3.0 but you will get a Conditional Acceptance. Anyway since RIT is a Quarter system...their course syllabus is fast paced.

The guy in my class that was trying to get into their MS EE program COULD NOT keep up with the class pace and said it is very fast etc etc...with no time to catch up if you got behind.

Looking back I know the Chairperson probably looked at the school he graduated from and may have investigated and figured he's "test" out this guy who wanted to enter this program.

How does this all related to WGU and allof this discussion?

Well...if you think WGU is an Nationally Accrediated school...and NSA endorses WGU's IA program...why don't you try to apply for Penn State's IA program and see if you get accepted. Like with all school...they will verify the school you came from and will see if they can accept you. This will give you FIRM proof of what another institution thinks of WGU.

Of course...if you are able to get an IA from WGU and enhance your career...by all means it is working for you. Just do not compare a masters granting degree in IA concentration from a masters in I A from PSU or RIT or whatever becuase those schools have rigorous entry requirements.
truotsuko  
#73 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:14:45 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The little dark horse in all this conversation is, in order to fully graduate from WGU your cumulative total scores have to equal a 3.0 or higher GPA, listen DOE or all of these legitimate accrediting agencies are not idiots, and for the record I applied to Georgia Tech (back when I thought I was headed States Side) and my diploma met their requirements fine, the only other thing they required was a GRE score. Now unless you are going to tell me that Georgia Tech is a bogus school also??? truotsuko2011-07-20 12:21:37
totj  
#74 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:49:01 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

That wasnt his point. Surprisingly, you missed it yet again.

So, taking his point into consideration, it doesnt matter if your degree qualified you to go to GA Tech; the direct question would be did you actually get in to Ga Tech?

I too have looked at Ga Tech. They require more than a degree and an GRE score. Theres also the application and essay(s). It has a highly ranked masters program - top 25 I believe. I wrote 5 essays to get in to Syracuse, which is *the top Information Systems Masters program in the nation. Im familiar with minimum academic standards, which is what this entire discussion is about. You, for some reason, seem to miss this point entirely.

And lets also address this "the only thing they needed was a GRE score". Yea dude, the GRE score is kind of what makes or breaks your chances of getting into almost any real masters program. Its not like the GRE is some random oddity.

I could have went to Harvard for my bachelors, but the only thing I needed was an SAT score...

Good Lord. LOL

totj2011-07-20 12:59:42
truotsuko  
#75 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:55:03 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
No fair now you are changing the subject, I have already previously stated that I do not have my Masters and it might surprise you to know that I was not familiar with the GRE requirement to be honest I did not know the difference between GRE and GMAT. But as I drew closer to graduation I did my research and applied to GA Tech and University of Georgia as I said what held me back was the fact that my life situation changed, but I did put that question to GA Tech and yes they have and continue to accept students from WGU, so swing and a miss.
totj  
#76 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:59:29 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285


truotsuko wrote:
No fair now you are changing the subject, I have already previously stated that I do not have my Masters and it might surprise you to know that I was not familiar with the GRE requirement to be honest I did not know the difference between GRE and GMAT. But as I drew closer to graduation I did my research and applied to GA Tech and University of Georgia as I said what held me back was the fact that my life situation changed, but I did put that question to GA Tech and yes they have and continue to accept students from WGU, so swing and a miss.


Just to be clear, you applied to UGA at GT with your degree from WGU and you did not get in, correct?

They have to recognize WGU by law. They do not have to take you seriously as a candidate.  This is what multiple people in this discussion have been trying to tell you. Pay attention.

And if you were applying to Masters programs and didnt know the difference between the GRE and GMAT, you probably have no business applying to Graduate programs in the first place.

You really have no business applying to any Graduate program if you havent taken the GRE or GMAT first anyway. Most business related Graduate programs require the GMAT. The GRE is for most everything else outside of healthcare and law. Some universities will accept either the GMAT or GRE, but those are few and far between.
totj2011-07-20 13:05:05
truotsuko  
#77 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:08:11 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Now you are dancing around again, yes I admited I was clueless about the GMAT and GRE requirement for a graduate degree, but as my intrest grew and I went through the motions it became clear to me that it was a must have. Having said that, while I was in the process of researching I asked the question about WGU graduates and the reply I got was they HAVE in the past and CONTINUE to accept a diploma from WGU. Now I know you are the education police and facts do not matter to you, but you are correct I did not get in because I did not have my GRE (at the time) but from the email traffic other people who had their GRE and applied as WGU graduates got into the school, why do you refuse to accept facts? So please YOU pay attention and stop spreading falsehoods based on nothing more than your opinion.
 
 
Edit: I never actually got to applying, because of the whole lack of a GRE score thing Cry, but as I said I fixed that now Big smile
truotsuko2011-07-20 13:16:47
truotsuko  
#78 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:30:38 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Well to be honest all this if off on a tangent, the original disscusion dealt with the Masters in IA how you felt that because they taught CCNET and CCNA you said it was crap. That's how all this back and forth started, then I tried to reason saying that as an IA you do not need to delve that deep into networking past a CCNA, you countered with CCIE should be at a Masters level, I said that CCIE was a great networking cert but not one for IA, it goes too deep. I still continue to think that if you are truly going to get a Masters in IA you do not need a CCIE. You no doubt need a balanced approach but CCIE is too deep on the networking side. If you are talking purely network security who knows, but Information Assurance as a whole it is WAY too deep.
totj  
#79 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:47:37 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 285

Sooo a CCIE Security would be useless in an IA environment?

LOL

You really dont understand the conversation youre trying to participate in.

Good luck in your endeavors.
truotsuko  
#80 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:17:10 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 346

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)


Normal
0




false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE













MicrosoftInternetExplorer4



























































































































































/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}


totj wrote:
Sooo a CCIE Security would be useless in an IA environment?


 


LOL


 


You really dont understand the conversation youre trying to participate in.


 


Good luck in your endeavors.





Please do not put words in my mouth, I said that CCIE was too involved to be
part of an IA curriculum, this is not a knock on CCIE it is a very difficult
and valuable certification but the purpose of an IA degree is not to make you
Networking Expert it is far broader than that. Look I understand that you have
a slew of Cisco certifications but IA is sooooooo much more than what the
Vendor Cisco has to offer. It is clearly important that an IA manager be
proficient enough to recognize protocols, ports, and be familiar with IP
addressing. But believe you me there is no need for an IA guy to be configuring
firewalls that is what the network security folks are there for. If as an IA
you go out and get your CCIE, dude kudos, good on you, but I am saying it is
not necessary, you would have better luck convincing me that as IA you should
go get CCNP (I would say that is also deep, but not as much as CCIE). You
yourself stated that the central focus of IA can be generally referred to in
the CISSP curriculum, they cover networking but please do not dream that simply
because you passed CISSP you can walk in and pass CCIE (not mentioning the fact
that you have to get CCNA, CCNP first). Conversely I would argue that simply
because you have your CCIE doesn’t guarantee you will pass CISSP, I hold CCIE
with higher esteem than I do CISSP to be clear, but the two paths are not as
close are you are trying to make them out to be. One is more theory and policy the other is not, why oh why would a policy guy need to hold a CCIE?



Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
7 Pages«<23456>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.606 seconds.