Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SandPiper  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:14:20 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Can anyone provide info on an OCONUS tour curtailment to accept another DoD job (same GS paygrade) in CONUS? I have completed 14 months of a 24month tour.

HR Spec 5613  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:16:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I found this on USAREUR Civilian Personnel Directorate webpage, FAQ'a on the overseas rotation policy, http://www.per.hqusareur.army.mil/CPD/Overseas_Tours_and_Rotation/RotationQuestions.aspx

31.  I accepted a 36-month overseas assignment and am only part way through my tour. I have decided I do not wish to stay and complete my assignment. What do I need to do? 

Your first step should be to set up a meeting with your supervisor and possibly your command staff to discuss the reason(s) you do not wish to complete your tour and to determine if there are any possible alternatives to returning to CONUS. If after this meeting, you wish to formalize your request, submit it in writing through your command channels. If you have been here less than 1 year, you should also request a release from transportation expenditures incurred by the government on your behalf for the move here.

Keep in mind that curtailment of an overseas assignment can be extremely costly to you. You could be liable for both the move to the overseas area as well as your return to CONUS.

DoD JTR, C4352 - Agreement Violations for Overseas Employees

A. Failure to Satisfy Service Requirement. An employee assigned or appointed to OCONUS who fails to satisfy a transportation agreement service requirement (remain in Government service for at least 12 months beginning with the effective date of transfer or appointment) is financially responsible to the Government for the travel and transportation allowances and cost associated with the move. The employee is not entitled to return travel and transportation allowances.

C. Violation After 1 Year of Service Under an Initial Agreement. An employee who completes one year of an OCONUS assignment and who, for reasons unacceptable to the employing DoD component, fails to satisfy an initial agreement service requirement in excess of one year (typically 36 months), is not financially responsible for the travel and transportation cost and related allowances associated with the move to the OCONUS assignment. However, the employee is financially responsible for all costs of Household Goods shipment and storage after the violation date and is not entitled to return transportation of a POV. Also, government funds may not be used to purchase commercial transportation for ineligible employees, so the employee is liable for the return trip to CONUS for themselves as well as their family members.

Employees are not entitled to travel and transportation allowances for their return trip unless their request for tour curtailment and/or release from transportation agreement are approved and their reasons for curtailment are found acceptable to their command.

Of course, if the gaining DoD agency in CONUS is paying PCS, you won't have to worry about paying for your return trip yourself.
Renee  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:54:29 PM(UTC)
Renee45459

HR Spec has the right documentation. I have already been through this. You can't get out of an OCONUS 36 month tour unless you submit a formal waiver request for an early release, and believe me, unless you have an urgent reason to leave (family emergency, medical reasons) you will not be approved. The waiver release requires approving signatures and concurrence from about a dozen people including the base commander. I also learned that even if you got a job transfer within the DOD, you still need a waiver request. I'm riding out my last 10 months and I can't wait!

Texas Austin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:05:14 AM(UTC)
overpaid

SandPiper wrote:

Can anyone provide info on an OCONUS tour curtailment to accept another DoD job (same GS paygrade) in CONUS? I have completed 14 months of a 24month tour.

Why did you take the assignment to begin with. If I was the hiring official I would tell you to hit the road your not interested in a career 
BRAC2005  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:25:30 PM(UTC)

Hopefully this is resolved by now.  If not, HR Spec 5613 has pointed you in right direction. 

My recollection is that there are at least three issues you need to consider.  First, responsibility for repayment of travel/transportation to the OCONUS PDS, second, loss of return rights (if you had them), and, third, responsibility for return travel/transportation expenses.

Since you have performed at least 12 months of duty, I am pretty sure you are relieved of the repayment requirement.  Check theTransporation Agreement (DD Form 1617) you signed and the JTR.  I  believe  JTR Chapters 1 and 5 are the most relevant. Ch. 5 deals with "Service Agreements" -- the DD Form 1617.  This is the link:  http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/jtr(ch1-7).pdf   That leaves return rights and return travel.  

The  JTR doesn't address return rights.  You signed an Overseas Employment Agreement, or something similar, when you accepted the position.  Your component will have a regulation that addresses this requirement. Its purpose is to expressly inform you of how to retain return rights, i.e., by completing the tour of duty, and to warn you that you may be responsible for return travel/transportation, if you don't.  The bottom line is that you will lose return rights if you don't complete your tour of duty -- unless your command has agreed to an early release.  That doesn't mean you can't compete for or accept a new position - as long as its not based on return rights.

Now return travel/transporation.  The JTR is a bit confusing on this issue.  It says that your agency is responsible for return travel/transportation to your actual residence before the OCONUS PDS -- if you complete the tour of duty or are authorized an early return.  It also says that if you are hired by another DoD component or Federal agency, the hiring agency is responsible for return travel/transportation.  Therefore, if you are going to an new position in the same DoD component, you may be required to pay return travel/transportation even if whichever office is hiring you is willing to pay travel/transportation expenses.  Its a funding authority issue.

Neither the Transportation or Overseas Employment agreement are binding employment contracts.  The U.S. outlawed slavery/indentured servitude in the 13th Amendment.  And, the JTR actually requires your agency to release you to accept a position in another DoD component or Federal agency.  Your component regulations will likely say something to the same effect for reassignments/new appointments.  Check the regulations on staffing.  But, that doesn't mean there may not be consequences for failing to fulfill your tour of duty as agreed.  You may lose any return rights you had and you may have to pay for your own way home.

Whenever dealing with HR, its better to know the rules.  Spend some time with the JTR and your component/DoD issuances before you have a conversation with HR.  Good luck.

inqmind  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:33:36 PM(UTC)

Ouch this response was not helpful and uncalled for.  The individual is asking a legitimate question about a process that MANY people find themselves needing....for a variety of reasons (usually not irresponsible in nature)....thanks to those of you who provided solid information in your responses
inqmind  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:36:01 PM(UTC)

OuchI attached my response to the wrong post....the very short email about "not interested in a career" is the one that I thought was uncalled for.....SORRY to the other poster.....yours was very helpful
inqmind  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:47:53 PM(UTC)

What if the curtailment request is BECAUSE the active duty spouse unexpectedly got orders back to CONUS....does the civilian spouse even NEED to request curtailment or is is understood secondary to the orders???
jhxetc  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:05:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Wouldn't the military pay PCS for your whole family if your spouse got orders back to CONUS? If that is the case, then you have nothing to worry about. You've met the 12 month repayment requirement.
Texas Austin  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:46:55 AM(UTC)
overpaid

inqmind wrote:
Ouch this response was not helpful and uncalled for.  The individual is asking a legitimate question about a process that MANY people find themselves needing....for a variety of reasons (usually not irresponsible in nature)....thanks to those of you who provided solid information in your responses[/QUOTE
that's your opinion. Why should the taxpayers need to pony up because your unhappy?/
jhxetc  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:58:18 AM(UTC)

overpaid wrote:
inqmind wrote:
Ouch this response was not helpful and uncalled for.  The individual is asking a legitimate question about a process that MANY people find themselves needing....for a variety of reasons (usually not irresponsible in nature)....thanks to those of you who provided solid information in your responses

that's your opinion. Why should the taxpayers need to pony up because your unhappy?/

The poster never mentioned money, you assumed.
Texas Austin  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:58:14 AM(UTC)
overpaid

I forgot household goods and employees move anound via the tooth fairy
inqmind  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:48:11 PM(UTC)

Thanks jhxetc....I would think so...but my coworker is still feeling the need to put forward a curtailment "request"....thanks for the help..
Codec  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 3:04:24 AM(UTC)

Sandpiper:

Are you overseas or OCONUS?
inqmind  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:41:36 PM(UTC)

I am overseas which is OCONUS
Codec  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:23:11 AM(UTC)

inqmind:

Been following the thread.

Just to let you know: Overseas is not OCONUS. Overseas is overseas and OCONUS refers to all areas that are outside the contiguous United States, such as: Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, etc.
Also: Do you have re-employment rights to a position back in the CONUS area?
If you do, and you have served your minimum requirement of 12 months on an overseas assignment, then you do not have to request a tour curtailment. The DD1617, which I assume you have signed is your Transportation Agreement. And if you have served your minimum 12 months and your CONUS employer would like to have you back, get the orders, the funding is an "Open Allotment", meaning your current employer is not funding it. You have a right to exercise your reemployment rights.
Codec  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:25:23 AM(UTC)

SandPiper wrote:

Sandpiper: See last posting. I addressed it incorrectly to inqmind.
jhxetc  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:56:46 AM(UTC)

Codec wrote:
 Just to let you know: Overseas is not OCONUS. Overseas is overseas and OCONUS refers to all areas that are outside the contiguous United States, such as: Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, etc.

Just to let you know, anything that is not considered CONUS is considered OCONUS. There are both FOREIGN and NON-FOREIGN OCONUS locations, but they are all OCONUS none the less.
Codec  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:36:01 AM(UTC)

jhxetc wrote:
Codec wrote:

Just to let you know, anything that is not considered CONUS is considered OCONUS. There are both FOREIGN and NON-FOREIGN OCONUS locations, but they are all OCONUS none the less.

Yes, you are right. 
There is an OCONUS non-foreign and foreign area.
Then the verbiage needs to be amended on all forms, overseas, OCONUS, (F), (NF). It causes unnecessary confusion. Thanks for pointing that out.
Charley  
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:46:51 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
My spouse is working/assigned fed service OCONUS on 3 year travel agreement…and has completed 1 year of the 3 year tour.

If I am stateside and accept a move in my Fed service position that causes me to PCS CONUS to CONUS location…can I use my PCS entitlements to bring our HHG from their OCONUS location? Spouse has an opportunity for a position located at my new duty station…but the position does not have PCS entitlements for them.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed