Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gonepostal2008  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 2:37:16 AM(UTC)
gonepostal2008

Groups: Registered

I have been a carrier for two years, but I never have. I know on our web site, it tells what discounts are available to us as government workers, but I was wondering if people actually do and, if so, how? Just bring your badge along and show it when asking about the discount?

Looking forward to perusing the forum again. I lost track of it quite a while ago!

penelope1440  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:32:03 AM(UTC)
penelope1440

I have always used my employee discount for cell phone service.  I think with Verizon it is 15 or 20% off the base bill per month.  The equipment discount doesn't seem to matter much any more.  Since I began using the discount the method of using it has changed.  I think you just fax them a copy of your badge so they can verify the employment and that works.  I am not sure what happens when you go to the store.  Cell phone rates are so high now and always more things to add, any discount is appreciated.
Humbert  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:41:09 AM(UTC)
Humbert

I get 5% off my rent as an employee(I also use the cell phone deal). Many also use the Union Plus credit card and/or postal credit unions.

All I've ever had to do to use these is show my badge.
NECArrier  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 6:50:46 AM(UTC)
NECArrier

Both Verizon and AT&T give dicounts- we use the Verizon discount. Never had to show my badge, I ordered online and just said where I worked and supervisor's name. We get 20% off ongoing service and most phones free or heavily discounted, new phone every 18 months.
Also got discount tickets to Six Flags and Colonial Williamsburg and often get hotel discounts when traveling.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 8:07:29 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I get police discounts at certain fast food resturants on certain routes. alot of the managers will give us a couple dollars off a combo meals( the same the police get).  pretty cool.

there are a couple auto places that will give the mailmen and their familes discounts for oil changes and tire rotations.
notgonepostal  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 8:13:29 AM(UTC)
notgonepostal

Sprint will give you 25% plus no sign up fee
petzldust  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 8:15:55 AM(UTC)
petzldust

I use AT&T cell discount, 25% off service and up to 50% on selected accessories.  Have a friend who's used the HP discount to buy computer.  I went to AT&T storefront and they copied my badge and sent to their HQ, that was all it took.
info seeker  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 1:36:22 PM(UTC)
info seeker

Besides discounted phone service on 4 or 5 cellular companies you also have access to college discounts and more...... check out this link....   liteblue.usps.gov/news/deals/welcome.htm     
roythomasbaker  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:51:04 AM(UTC)
roythomasbaker

The cell phone service discount is indeed very useful.  I use it myself.  The discount on cell phone equipment and accessories, however, is pretty much useless.  If you go thru the USPS to purchase equipment, the discount will be based on the highly inflated retail price of the phone.  A couple of years back, I wanted to buy a smartphone.  When I called the USPS discount line, I was quoted a discount price of about $500 - 50% off the inflated price of $1000.  But bypassing the USPS service and going directly to the phone company, the same phone was offered to me for about $300.  Keep in mind, of course, that using the phone company's own discount usually entails extending your contract whereas (I believe) there is no such requirement if you use the USPS discount. 
Rss Feed  Atom Feed