Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
donaldd  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:53:41 AM(UTC)
donaldd

Groups: Registered

Hello, After 2 years of applying for a federal government job out of college, I finally got an e-mail stating that I was "Referred to Hiring Manager."  It has been 2 weeks since that e-mail and I am wondering "now what???"  Should I assume that they are no longer interested since it has been 2 weeks since that e-mail?

Does anyone else have experience with getting "Referred to Hiring Manager" e-mails???
How long does it usually take to get a reply, rejection or interview???

Any information would greatly be appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!

Donald11  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:23:46 AM(UTC)
Donald11

it can be months. 
donaldd  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:47:03 AM(UTC)
donaldd

Oh wow that is long time. Thank you for your reply. I guess I will just have to be patient.
makana793  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:26:38 AM(UTC)
makana793

Is there a contact person on the job announcement? If so it might not be a bad idea to follow up with that individual but that's just my 2 cents. I'm not sure if others would agree.
Zephyr666  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:28:22 AM(UTC)
Zephyr666

It can be months from the referral stage to actually getting an interview.  For the job I just interviewed for, I got a referred message in Jan. and interviewed in May.

Zephyrus  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:31:11 AM(UTC)
Zephyrus

Assuming that you have been modifying your resume repeatedly over the last two years now is probably the time to not rest on your laurels.  You have probably perfected it.  Find very similar openings (to the one for which you were referred) in the same series at different agencies and ramp up your applications. Although anything could happen it most likely will take a couple of referrals before you get an interview.  It took me about 60 applications and a few referrals before I started getting interviews.  And like BFG said in another thread it seems like once you clear the initial interview hurdle a couple more get tossed your way. 
Zephyrus  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:34:03 AM(UTC)
Zephyrus

makana793 wrote:
Is there a contact person on the job announcement? If so it might not be a bad idea to follow up with that individual but that's just my 2 cents. I'm not sure if others would agree.

The issue I have found is that the contact person is never the hiring manager so it is hard to get concrete info most of the time.
Wontgiveup  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:11:59 AM(UTC)
Wontgiveup

Yep I have been applying too and I now have four referals for 2 different agencies. My first referal I recieved in May and still have not heard nothing. Make sure you just keep applying don't stop....I found this is a hurry, hurry wait process....Good Luck!
emma14622  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:25:13 PM(UTC)
emma14622

It's been six weeks since I was referred and needless to say I'm anxious for an interview.  But I'm glad I haven't stopped applying for other jobs (especially after reading on this thread that it could take months).  Someone told me to keep applying until I actually get a start date.
confusedandwaiting  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:59:33 AM(UTC)
confusedandwaiting

Never stop applying. It's sad, but you can get referred many, many times and never get a call for an interview. I don't know how many times I was referred with no calls for interviews. I currently have two TO's and I'll still look for other jobs until I actually have an EOD. BI's take a long time and positions sometimes get pulled so do keep applying and never assume anything is a done deal until you get your EOD. I'm hoping I get one by the end of summer.
CASDGuy  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:04:31 PM(UTC)
CASDGuy

I get referred for about 95% of the jobs I applied for. You need to tailor your resume to all the different position u apply for
Rss Feed  Atom Feed