Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
meechi53  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:56:53 PM(UTC)
meechi53

Groups: Registered

Does everyone start out at 14.00 an hour or do they have starting pay based on education and/or experience?

I want to get into the TSA/DHS and it seems that the airport screener/TSO positions may be the quickest and easiest way. 

How fast can someone advance financially?

The pay is low at 13.50,  but the high end at 20.50 is definitely workable,  but I've heard people end up doing quite well.

Also if you are part time do they let you pick up the shifts of extra people if you want $$ and they want off extra days..how about overtime etc?
mrbsf  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:10:36 PM(UTC)
mrbsf

meechi53 wrote:
Does everyone start out at 14.00 an hour or do they have starting pay based on education and/or experience?

When hiring new TSO's it seems education and/or experience does not affect starting pay.  You start as the D band minimum plus locality which would affect starting pay slightly based on the area you're in.  Although education and experience doesn't really help pay at the out set, these qualities can make it easier to advance.  Bottom line is, I tell most people swallow your pride and do your time and after a few years you'll wake up and realize you have pretty good pay and great benefits.

meechi53 wrote:
I want to get into the TSA/DHS and it seems that the airport screener/TSO positions may be the quickest and easiest way.

You would be correct.

meechi53 wrote:
Also if you are part time do they let you pick up the shifts of extra people if you want $$ and they want off extra days..how about overtime etc?

It is possible, but varies widely from airport to airport.  I wouldn't count on it on a regular basis.
meechi53  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:45:51 AM(UTC)
meechi53

Hmm..it's alot to think about, because taking the job pays 1/2 the hourly wage that I get now..and then it being part time, I'd be lucky to bring home 1/3 of the pay that I have now..How fast is pay advancement?  The high end I can deal with at 20.00 an hour more or less..but downgrading that much..I don't think that is an option...I like not being foreclosed on! LOL!   If there were alot of overtime or shift trades, I could probably hang...Even though my job is dead-end, it pays decent..I guess I'd best hold out for the possible inspector positions.
BadJuJu  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:55:45 AM(UTC)
BadJuJu

Piggy-backing off of Meechi53's question.

How would going to school in the morning (M/W 9-1700 and T/R 11-1330) affect the work schedule? According to the handout TSA sent me for MKE, early starting time is between 4AM and 6AM and late starting time is 11AM and 1PM on a rotating schedule. Could I ask for a set schedule to work around my class time?

Just would like to get the general consensus before I go for my Airport Assessment.
CASDGuy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:17:23 AM(UTC)
CASDGuy

Being a TSO may be the quickest route for TSA but not DHS. TSO position take a long time, according to many on this forum that have applied
nick_s2788  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:04:17 AM(UTC)
nick_s2788

CASDGuy wrote:
Being a TSO may be the quickest route for TSA but not DHS. TSO position take a long time, according to many on this forum that have applied

Of course that varies widely from person to person.
Ruffles  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 02, 2010 12:01:53 PM(UTC)
Ruffles

Let me ask a question, too- if you stick with TSA for a while as a TSO, what is the promotion from there? 
meechi53  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 05, 2010 8:49:55 AM(UTC)
meechi53

How long before they might offer full time? Are full time vacancies only filled internally after one has been hired part time?
AnonymousPerson  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 05, 2010 8:56:42 AM(UTC)
AnonymousPerson

meechi53 wrote:
How long before they might offer full time? Are full time vacancies only filled internally after one has been hired part time?

Correct, full-time is dependent on your seniority and full-timers are promoted from part-timers. You actually start out as full-time for your classroom and on-the-job training, and then you're moved back to part-time when you have completed all of your training. As for how long it takes to get full-time, that depends on the size of the airport, and the turnover associated with that airport (some airports, usually the Cat X airports, have high turnover and some airports have low turnover).
AnonymousPerson2010-07-05 17:02:46
sweets2323  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:15:54 AM(UTC)
sweets2323

SO what is MIA and FLL is that a High Turner over?? does tht mean Full time comes quick..
What causes some air port to have a high turnver
vega  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:59:52 PM(UTC)
vega

Its def different for the area you work in, i just got hired and my pay is above 14/hr...
sweets2323  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:21:48 PM(UTC)
sweets2323

what is exactly your pay. and yes every airport is very different
KhaotiK  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:26:04 AM(UTC)
KhaotiK

Say you already have a job where you work Fri-Sun, 8am-8pm and Monday 8a-5p. The Monday hours were just sprung on me and I only have to do that shift for the month of Nov. Will it still be possible to work as a TSO? I've applied to a small regional airport and have my computer Test this Friday (Luckily I had took a vacation day prior to getting the invite, talk about luck.)
KhaotiK2010-10-26 13:32:31
suntzu99  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:45:28 AM(UTC)
suntzu99

At the end of the month you will only have  $1000 in your pocket as a part-time TSO, it's not a great salary, but it is WAY more honorable to work for the Federal goverment for little money than being supported by the federal government as an unemployed. You better serve your country for little money than being a burden for your country. Swallow your pride and APLLY today, no matter what degree you have. Throw that MA or PHD into the carbage can for now and  make a difference. suntzu992010-10-27 08:57:07
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized." <br />Sun Tzu <br /> <br />
MCTOPDAD  
#15 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:39:06 AM(UTC)
MCTOPDAD

I think you should stay at your paying job, you will be hired in for about $14.00 an hour, and maybe only work 25 hours per week. If you know you are going to lose your higher paying job, then keep up with TSA hiring process, and also keep searching the USA-JOBS.GOV web-site for any other federal job openings near to your home
Beagle  
#16 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:57:46 AM(UTC)
Beagle

suntzu99 wrote:
At the end of the month you will only have  $1000 in your pocket as a part-time TSO, it's not a great salary, but it is WAY more honorable to work for the Federal goverment for little money than being supported by the federal government as an unemployed. You better serve your country for little money than being a burden for your country. Swallow your pride and APLLY today, no matter what degree you have. Throw that MA or PHD into the carbage can for now and  make a difference.

The above is a retarded advice. 

TSO are more for those without any experience or education.  Like college students etc.....But if you play your cards right you can work as a student for the federal gov and make around $15 per hour while working in the agency that you will get a full time position with after you graduate.

sweets2323  
#17 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 11:02:48 AM(UTC)
sweets2323

what do u think i should do.. I make 35000 and hour now full time but wont get benefits till a year later.

I am wondering if working as a TSO is the best thing for me ..

I applied for other jobs on USA Jobs but I havent heard anything as yet with them.

but i feel like a should give up the Federal position.

The job I have now is not a job that i will stay at, its just a pit stop..

advise please

suntzu99  
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:21:00 AM(UTC)
suntzu99

Beagle wrote:
suntzu99 wrote:
At the end of the month you will only have  $1000 in your pocket as a part-time TSO, it's not a great salary, but it is WAY more honorable to work for the Federal goverment for little money than being supported by the federal government as an unemployed. You better serve your country for little money than being a burden for your country. Swallow your pride and APLLY today, no matter what degree you have. Throw that MA or PHD into the carbage can for now and  make a difference.

The above is a retarded advice. 

TSO are more for those without any experience or education.  Like college students etc.....But if you play your cards right you can work as a student for the federal gov and make around $15 per hour while working in the agency that you will get a full time position with after you graduate.

TSO is for whoever really needs a job, moron! Do you read with your eyes closed? I did not say get a PhD in order to be a TSO. This is what I said: "it is WAY more honorable to work for the Federal goverment for little money than being supported by the federal government as an unemployed".
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized." <br />Sun Tzu <br /> <br />
JuneBug06  
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:37:52 PM(UTC)
JuneBug06

@suntzu99--- i second that and +10. i would much rather earn $10 a hour (just saying) working for the gov't than working at a bank or a money hunger company with a BS degree for $30 a hour. it would give me pride and self-worth knowing that i'm making some kind of contribution to this country/society and doing honest work, instead of ripping people off. Big smile
Rss Feed  Atom Feed