Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AnalyzeThis  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 11:17:44 AM(UTC)
AnalyzeThis

Groups: Registered

Thanks in advance to any responses received.

Background:  I'm fairly new to the civil service, going on four years now, so I'm trying to understand if I have a valid concern or do I just need to suck it up... 

Prior to NSPS transition I was a GS-11 Step 2 and converted to YA-02.  About 2 years ago I transferred to a new command, accepting a 5% pay increase and was placed into a newly created NSPS YA-02 position.  I've had one 4.0 performance evaluation and was awarded a time off award on top of my performance award...   The PD for this new position was very vague and since my arrival I've taken on significant more duties and responsibilities that have increased both my workload and scope. 

Now upon GS transition my supervisor was asked if my NSPS PD was still valid or does it require update, in which it did require update to annotate my new duties and responsibilities, so we update the PD, annotating a 40% - 50% increase in duties and responsibilities to include an increase in scope, and removed nothing.. only adding duties.

My question is, shouldn't I be compensated for this additional 40-50% accretion of duties?  I received my transition letter explaining that I will transition back as a GS-11, and since my pay is between steps I will be promoted to the next higher step, which results in a 2% pay increase ($1,400.00) a year.   Should I be satisfied with this outcome?  Because I don't feel very satisfied at the moment.  

My supervisor now tells me that he should have re-wrote my PD a year ago to account for this accretion of duties; and the 2nd in command tells me that no accretion of duties are being considered under GS transition.... which is a lie, since my supervisor was promoted from GS-12 to GS-13. 

I am not a disgruntled employee, and really enjoy doing my best and I volunteered for all these additional duties/responsibilities, but I was also told at the time I would be compensated...   What should I do?  Let sleeping dogs lie?  Suck it up and keep on keeping on?

Any advice and or opinion is greatly appreciated.
Will  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:49:48 PM(UTC)
Will

According the briefings they gave us locally if the job had a former GS PD that was the one used, the office that reviews PDs is so undermanned that they are not review new ones where are old one exists.

As for what to do, besides job hunting, get your managers to redo the PD and once they get around reviewing new PDs get that submitted and the job changed.  Get it made a GS 11/12 to make it easier and then get them to promote you.
AnalyzeThis  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:39:23 PM(UTC)
AnalyzeThis

Thanks Will, my current job was a new position and didn't have a former GS PD and yes I've been job hunting.    It's unfortunate, I just wanted a fair shake and don't forsee that happening. 

I was just curious if this is something I should accept or should I pushed the issue a bit.

Thanks again -- Any other thoughts?
Will  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:51:39 PM(UTC)
Will

If you don't care about it your bosses sure won't.  Ask them about the status and see what they are planning to do, in the worse case you are in the position you currently are in.
Billsfan00  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 9:12:10 PM(UTC)
Billsfan00

I feel your pain as I am going through almost the identical scenario. I accepted a "Team Lead" position in October 2010 that moved me from a GS-11 to a YA-02.  Now as of Monday, Jul 18th I have been notified that the position will revert back to a GS-11 (Lead). This will result in a gain of $700 or so. Not much incentive when I supervise two GS-11s, two GS 09s, a Contractor and 6 or 7 military.  No one here did anything with my PD as they claim there was a freeze on classification actions untill the NSPS mess is sorted out. The position was in  the process of being reclassified when NSP*****.

My biggest frustration is that the guidance contained in the transition manual http://www.cpms.osd.mil/nsps/ as there appears to be some areas here that would address my situation. I did everything I could before the action occured, but it appears that no action was taken. I requested all data that was submitted from my HR Office and intend to file an appeal, but in the meantime am looking for another position. The sad thing is that since I did not have a year of GS-12 equivalent experience (8 mos as a YA-02), I have to look for a GS-12 position.
AnalyzeThis  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 18, 2010 2:33:52 AM(UTC)
AnalyzeThis

Sorry to hear it BillsFan,

It is sad, I mean I hear alot of folks now a days saying "Your lucky to have a job in this economy" kinda thing, and I agree we are quite blessed and I give thanks daily.  However, it doesn't change the situation of more duties, responsibilities and accountability and the expectations that come along with taking on more.

I was told like you were, that they could update the PD but couldn't account for any changes in classification.  Which basically re-writes your PD adding everything new but doesn't re-classify the grade.  From what I'm understanding, management (CO, XO and Director) made the grade decisions...  not thinking of the implications. 

Since my post, I had some frank and quite uncomfortable conversations with my supervisor,  he received a promotion due to the transition.  Which although he may have been due a raise, his duties have actually shrunk, but they've added supervisor responsibilities...   My only beef about this is, there is no consistency.  They tell me there will be no classification that results in promotion; however, they turn around and promote my supervisor...   I much rather be happy for my supervisor than making a comparison to the lack of consistency and lies I've been told.

My supervisor has actually gone to bat for me a bit, acknowledging the accretion of duties up the chain of command, and I'm trying not to take it to the "Classification Appeal"  process because I think I'll end up getting labeled a problem child...   It's really unfortunate that this situation has gotta end up with me looking for another job.  I just don't appreciate not being treated fairly.

Do you agree that filing a formal appeal will result in a negative light being cast upon me??

Thanks for the post and good luck!
MS TOO  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:41:02 AM(UTC)
MS TOO

Unfortunately were I work management seems to see this conversion to GS as a chance to downgrade some positions.  I know of two GS-13s that were told that as their duties had changed and they were no longer supervising as many people as they had in the past, they were being down-graded to GS-12s, with no loss of pay of course!  I have not heard of anyone getting upgraded even though there are many in my office working harder now than ever before as we are still on the "more with less" kick!
sandra1809  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 03, 2010 8:10:28 AM(UTC)
sandra1809

sad thing is even if you had a year in a YA 2 position with GS 12 pay you would still not be  ligible to take a GS 13 since your former PD was A GS 11, that happened to us, my husband was a GS 11 got converted to a YC2 traffic managemnt for 2 years and during that time aquired lots of new duties and resposibilities and got stuck back into his old PD even though it  doesnt reflect what he is doing now, He wanted to get it ammended an reevaluated and his supervisor signed it it got send to HR and we are still told that they is no need for reclassification he can only do a destop audit, hos screwed up is that.....
sandra1809  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 03, 2010 8:11:49 AM(UTC)
sandra1809

the duties he does now would grade out to a GS 12 but my guess is they don't want to do that because they don't have another GS 12 in that section 
Rss Feed  Atom Feed