Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Training and Certification

Whether you want to improve your skills, boost your resume or prepare for a new job opportunity, training and certification programs and resources can help you achieve your goals. With the right program and resource, you will be more productive and this will help you climb the career ladder.

Here is a forum to ask questions about a particular program, to exchange insight on which is the right training, to share which certifications are the best to attain, to seek out what to do first, and to offer recommendations to others.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Persuit9  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 09, 2010 1:10:01 PM(UTC)
Persuit9

Groups: Registered

Looking to start my Master's in Business or HR and I'm considering Amberton University.
Just curious if anyone has taken courses from this university, or heard anything about it?

It's credible under OPM regs, cheap tuition ($700 per class), and the coursework sounds interesting and challenging. I'm gonna tap into the remainder of my gi bill to pay for it.

If the timeline works out, my gi bill would completely pay for my bachelors and masters degree. 
Now that'd be something.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Persuit 9
The Winner sees an answer for every problem; The Loser sees a problem for every answer.
Persuit9  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:40:12 AM(UTC)
Persuit9

Yeah, I think its low tuition and accreditation was the main attraction for me. I'll be the guinea pig for his forum =P

The Winner sees an answer for every problem; The Loser sees a problem for every answer.
mddlrthr2  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 10:35:17 AM(UTC)
mddlrthr2

I've heard of Amberton University (drive past it weekly).  It's located in the Dallas, TX area.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone going there now but knew someone who went about 10 years ago.  I'm not sure if they went going for a BS or MS degree.  Although there are a lot of schools in this area, I haven't heard any bad things about them.
AgorIRS  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 5:38:28 PM(UTC)
AgorIRS

I applied there a long time ago. I ended up not registering for any classes because their admissions people were extremely rude. A couple of people that I knew who did take classes said the classes were very "religious" (it's a christian school.)

There are much better options out there.

hi3cho  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 2:48:27 AM(UTC)
hi3cho

AgorIRS,  I read Persuit9's post earlier today and looked into the University's MBA programs.  It looks like they offer courses completely online at $700 per 3 credit course.  Which is really cheap for MBA course, the state schooles in my area are $1000 a credit.  You say there are much better options, could you provide some?  I would appreciate it, I am looking to do online course work only so location does not matter.

Also, my agency will pay up to $250.00/ credits so these courses would be essentially free except for fees and books.
AgorIRS  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 10:18:59 AM(UTC)
AgorIRS

You might want to look at through the list here: http://sites.google.com/site/aggietechie/home/dlmba

I've heard great things about Jacksonville State University. Tuition is about $350 a credit, and they are AACSB also.
hi3cho  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 9:07:01 PM(UTC)
hi3cho

JSU $596.00/credit for graduate studies; out of state in 2010-2011.  Thats over a $1000 more a course more than Amberton.
makana793  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:13:15 AM(UTC)
makana793

Amberton is regionally accredited so there should be no problems when it comes to acceptance from employers. The cost is cheap too. A good friend of mine completed the M.S in HR and Business online. She liked it because its really flexible and allows for a lot of room to basically tailor the degree to your specific needs. I like that better as opposed to a "one size fits all" approach. Some other schools to consider are Troy and CMU. They have special govt rates available.
hi3cho  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:59:05 PM(UTC)
hi3cho

I have done some more research and it seems like a good program designed for working adults and can be completed by taking classes solely online, they also offer brick and mortar courses.  It is regionally accredited by one of the 6 accreditation companies recognized by the Dept of Education. 

I have to say I was skeptical at first due to the price and offering completely online courses but I guess that is something that is moving towards being common place.  Let's be honest, an MBA is an MBA, when working as a FED and obviously a HBS MBA is much better and respected but for the cost/reward, this is an excellent option.  Not to mention this will cost less out of pocket then any of the undergrad courses I took that my agency paid for due to no additional fees.

Also there is no cost to apply and no entrance exams such as GMAT's are required, just official transcripts from the university your received your Bachelors.

Persuit9, have you applied and scheduled any courses?  I am planning on starting the MBA program.  I have sent the application and registration in. Just wondering how your experiences were so far.
hi3cho2010-11-10 07:06:24
cinnamoncau  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:39:53 PM(UTC)
cinnamoncau

Amberton is a great choice. I am on my second semester, and I am learning so much. This is so affordable, and a masters is required for gs-9 jobs based on education. If you are a gs5 for example, and get your masters from amberton, you get almost a 20k raise for for an investment of 8k. It is an excellent ROI!
job forlife  
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:40:05 AM(UTC)
job forlife

It certainly is on par with Harvards Law school
oktoots  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:25:11 PM(UTC)
oktoots

That's Harvard Law School, Max/forlife. And didn't you mention that you got a degree from an online school? It's doubtful.
multiple identities to 0%
job forlife  
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:23:12 AM(UTC)
job forlife

Just a sick stalker
oktoots  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:06:10 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Any reason, Max, why you cannot back yourself up? Or is it just easier to dodge all issues you pretend to know something about by crying "stalker".
multiple identities to 0%
job forlife  
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:31:18 AM(UTC)
job forlife

no question you live up to your fetish stalker
Sea Salt  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 12:16:57 PM(UTC)
Sea Salt

That is incredible that someone can keep up with such an academically rigorous Christian institution such as Amberton University, and work the rigors of a federal job. How in the world do you do it Persuit9?

Many of our great Christian thinkers of our time have come from Amberton. It is a great school indeed.   
cinnamoncau  
#17 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 12:31:51 PM(UTC)
cinnamoncau

I currently work for the IRS, its challenging but extremely rewarding. You won't regret it!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed