Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tsdlf  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:44:24 AM(UTC)
tsdlf

Groups: Registered

I have been on OWCP for about a year...I am on periodic rolls.  I've had my evaluation from OWCP and my report came back I am on permanent light duty.  The post office says their is no work for me and that I stay on OWCP.  As far as retirement years I am at about 18 yrs with PO.  Do I stay on OWCP indefinately or does it change to postal retirement at a certain point in time.?  I need this info for a financial advisor I am dealing with now and I don't know where to get this information from.  thanks 
tsdlf  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:53:08 AM(UTC)
tsdlf

forgot to add...I am at MMI also.
jesse slade  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:35:06 AM(UTC)
jesse slade

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You can stay on OWCP as long as the medical evidence warrants it.
Snowed  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:29:31 AM(UTC)
Snowed

Just keep in mind if the PO separates you, you have 1 year to apply for Disability retirement.  It is a good safety net if OWCP stops paying you in the future.

Also you said you can work light duty.  OWCP might send you to vocational rehab and try to see if you are employable. 
March for Justice!
big tex  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:46:08 PM(UTC)
big tex

Snow,

In your statement you say "good safety net if OWCP stops paying you in the future?"  Does that mean OWCP paysments freeze and it is best to get of OWCP and get a job through OWCP and then retire?
maddog  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 05, 2010 5:03:19 AM(UTC)
maddog

OWCP is not a retirement program.  Most likely you will will be put into Voc-rehab where you are not walking and grasping or have a 75lb lifting requirement. 
Snowed  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 05, 2010 10:44:33 AM(UTC)
Snowed

big tex- 
Everyone's situation is different.  I would like to find a job I can do to keep me busy....it is getting harder to see myself in any occupation due to increasing disabilities but I need to try.  If you are separated from service, you only have one year to apply for disability retirement, then the opportunity is lost.   It could be a sad thing if you depend on OWCP for life and something changes that causes you to lose it...this may not matter to those with enough years in for a great regular retirement.
March for Justice!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed