Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
douglaprincesz  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 3:21:45 AM(UTC)
douglaprincesz

Groups: Registered

i was just emailed about a pre screen interview with usps as for casual (temporary) work, per email.

they said it will take 6 hours and i should fill out the forms before going....

what should i expect and what exactly is a Casual Clerk/Mail Handler? with non-scheduled work days? now sure what that means .....please help!!!!

ps the salary they said sucks, its less than i make now plus no benifits? how much should they be paying a temp for this type of position? 
angelcali  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 9:28:13 AM(UTC)
angelcali

If you have a stable job leave this one alone.   Casuals have no rights you can't join the union you get no sick or annual leave....They can make you work 7 days a week 12 hour days....They can let you go whenever they want and you don't have any benefits.  Casuals are treated like dirt...Trust me you don't want this job I don't know what the hourly rate is but it's not worth it it might be $9, $10 or $11/hr run don't take this job....It's not a foot in the door at the USPS...It's a dead end job with no stability...
AR  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 1:36:05 PM(UTC)
AR

I checked into this in my area.

It pretty much means that you work variable hours in a week - from zero to many, depending on what they need. And you are right - no benefits, holidays, sicktime, nothing.

Around here, they only hire full timers from their casual employees, on a seniority basis. I was told it takes about two years as a casual to get to full time. And they are trying to cut down on the number of full timers.

You basically can't have another job while you are doing it, because you have to be on call all the time. So unless it is the second income in a household, it would be tough to do.

Good luck whatever you decide.

ARAR2010-08-27 21:41:47
angelcali  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 2:44:56 PM(UTC)
angelcali

AR I don't know where you got your information but I worked for the USPS for many years the only way a casual gets full time is by taking the test and their test score being pulled and being hired as a career employee  being a casual is not getting your foot in the door in fact the union is fighting the USPS on a constant to stop hiring casuals....Casuals have no rights what so ever and they are treated like dirt....Career employees are broken up into Full time regulars, Part time Flexis( doesn't exist in USPS with more then 200 man hours but does exist in smaller USPS's) and Part time regulars...Don't take this job under the illusion you will make career it doesn't work like that you have to take the test and be hired as a career employee just like someone who never worked for the USPS...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed