Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ProLS  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 8:27:12 AM(UTC)
ProLS

Groups: Registered

I am entering a GS-12 position in 2 weeks. Forgive me, as I know I will probably have the answer to this question after entering civil service, but I am trying to get as many answers before I start. I have searched both here and using google and I cannot find anything that states whether prior military service time buy back payroll deductions are pre-tax or not. Neither answer will influence my decision to buy back my 9+ years of USAF service towards FERS credit.
I have no tolerance for intolerance.
Hanif  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:31:41 AM(UTC)
Hanif

Mine are post tax. Same as if I was making an allotment direct to a car payment/spousal support account.
Arabic linguists, the civilized alternative to torture - Anonymous Arabist
Nomadic Logic  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:35:03 PM(UTC)
Nomadic Logic

No matter pre or post tax, it's worth it to buy back your time.  Especially if you were enlisted.

I did 10 years, starting @ E-1, and if my calculations are right, I made about 180k in that 10 years.

My buy back should only be about 6k.

ProLS  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:39:13 PM(UTC)
ProLS

I did a rough guess-timate based on my annual SS report, which showed roughly $110k (I started at E-3 and separated with 9 years 4 months at E-5). Once I am on station (1-1/2 weeks and counting!) I will be able to submit the military earnings request and see what THEY say I made during that time. But I am planning on buying it back.
martyb  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:25:01 PM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's paid back with after-tax money.  No tax break.  The figure that will be calculated for you will be base pay only, and then a percentage of that amount.  You won't have any figuring to do, it will all be done for you, except for how you want to pay it back.  I left active duty in 1981 (USAF) as an E-5.  If I'd taken care of it within my first 3 yrs, it would have cost me less than $2000, but since I waited till 2007, I had to write a check for $8263.00.  Do yourself a favor and no matter how you pay it back, either through payroll deductions or otherwise, get it done before the interest starts to pile up.  Congratulations on your new federal job and best wishes to you!
Forum trolls to 0%
ProLS  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:33:29 PM(UTC)
ProLS

@ martyb: Thanks! I plan on having it paid back prior to the 2 year interest 'freebie'. I will know more once I have a figure in hand. Right now, based upon my base pay for that time, my guess is around $3300+/-. When you think about it, it's a STEAL of a deal to get almost 10 more retirement years for a little over $3k!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed