Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gov*Girl  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 1:30:17 AM(UTC)
Gov*Girl

Groups: Registered

I was hired under NSPS as a YA-02 in 2008.  I converted to a GS-12 in Sep 10.  Do I currently meet TIG requirements to apply for a GS-13?  Thx?
HR Spec 5613  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 4:05:07 AM(UTC)
HR Spec 5613

See 5 CFR 300.605   Creditable service (toward TIG)

Non-GS service is creditable at the equivalent GS grade by comparing the salaries.  The NSPS salary is compared to the representative rate (step 4) of the highest GS rate range (applicable locality/special rate table) at the time the non-GS position was held.

Example:  Held NSPS YA-2 for two years until September 2010, salary $82,346, in RUS locality area.  Transitions out in September as GS-12.  The NSPS salary exceeds the representative rate for GS-12 step 4 but not GS-13 step 4.  For TIG purposes, the NSPS position is treated as though it was a GS-12 position at the time of transition.  You would then have to check each time the salary changed to calculate the creditable GS grade, so you can figure the amount of time spent at the (equivalent) GS grade.

Let me know if this isn't too clear.  My interpretations have been known to be a bit confusing.
HR Spec 56132010-10-09 12:10:52
Gov*Girl  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 6:35:24 AM(UTC)
Gov*Girl

Thank-you for your quick response.  So, if I'm only a GS-12 Step 2, do I need to wait 52 weeks before I can apply for a GS-13 job or are TIG requirements waivered?  Thx!
HR Spec 5613  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 5:07:24 PM(UTC)
HR Spec 5613

If your non-GS salary was above the step four of the GS-11, time spent on the non-GS position is credited at the GS-12 level.  If you held the non-GS position for 52 weeks, you already meet TIG and can apply to GS-13 positions.  TIG requirements aren't waived; they are met.
Gov*Girl  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 8:50:48 PM(UTC)
Gov*Girl

Thank-you!

hector  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 3:04:41 AM(UTC)
hector

HR Spec, this is very helpful.  thank you.  However I am still a little confused on the wording.  Where is it spelled out that a specific salary will become a 12-2 rather than a 11-8 when transitioning form a non-GS posistion.  Is it as simple as if your salary is above a step 4 you move up to the next grade, if below you stay at the current one?  Thanks again.
HR Spec 5613  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 8:16:02 AM(UTC)
HR Spec 5613

hector wrote:
HR Spec, this is very helpful.  thank you.  However I am still a little confused on the wording.  Where is it spelled out that a specific salary will become a 12-2 rather than a 11-8 when transitioning form a non-GS posistion.  Is it as simple as if your salary is above a step 4 you move up to the next grade, if below you stay at the current one?  Thanks again.

"...(b) Service in positions not subject to the General Schedule (GS) is credited at the equivalent GS grade by comparing the candidate's rate of basic pay with the representative rate (as defined in §351.203 of this chapter)..."

That's where you'll find it spelled out:  5 CFR 351.203:

Representative rate means:

(1) The fourth step of the grade for a position covered by the General Schedule, using the locality rate authorized by 5 U.S.C. 5304 and subpart F of part 531 of this chapter for General Schedule positions;

(2) The prevailing rate for a position covered by a wage-board or similar wage-determining procedure, such as provided in the definition of representative rate for Federal Wage System positions in 5 CFR 532.401 of this chapter;

(3) For positions in a pay band, the rate (or rates) the agency designates as representative of that pay band or competitive levels within the pay band, including (as appropriate) any applicable locality payment authorized by 5 U.S.C. 5304 and subpart F of part 531 of this chapter (or equivalent payment under other legal authority); and

(4) For other positions (e.g., positions in an unclassified pay system), the rate the agency designates as representative of the position, including (as appropriate) any applicable locality payment authorized by subpart F of part 531 (or equivalent payment under other legal authority).

...so, Yes.  It's "as simple as if your salary is above a step 4 you move up to the next grade, if below you stay at the current one."
Govie0228  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 4:31:22 AM(UTC)
Govie0228

I have a question as to when the TIG requirments would kick in.  I am currently a GS-11 and based upon the graduation of my internship program I will be a GS-12 on June 15, 2011.  If a GS-12 position at another agency opens up sometime in May and I apply for it, would I be ineligable due to TIG?  Is there any flexibility regarding how close someone is to meeting the TIG?  Is it necessary to have TIG at the time of application submission or would a couple weeks after (they would most likely still be evaluating the responses at that time) suffice? 

Essentially, If I apply to another GS-12 position outside of my agency prior to receiving the GS-12 position and 1 year TIG at my current agency would I be considered ineligable for the position?  If they post the vacancy sometime later this month or in May, I would only be a couple weeks from meeting the TIG.

I do not want to miss out on the opportunity to apply to this potential vacancy just because it was posted a couple weeks before I had my TIG.

Anyone have any ideas?  
emma1  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:33:45 PM(UTC)
emma1

I think it's Ok
You won't miss out this vacancy if take some measures

fcarver  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 5:06:29 AM(UTC)
fcarver

So, this post is a bit old, but if I may I'd like to ask a clarification. Is this comparing your base pay to Step 4 of the GS Grade using base pay? Or is this including locality/special rate pay?

The issue is we now have several employees who were under NSPS receiving base plus locality. If they had been GS, they would have been under a Special Salary Rate. The big question is the GS-11 level employees.

HR gave initial feedback that locality pay doesn't count. So, HR is saying employees base pay (base pay by itself) has to equal or exceed Step 4 of the "highest applicable rate range", in other words the Base + Special Supplement Rate. 

The problem is, for an employee's base pay alone to equal GS-11 Step 4 (base plus special rate), that employee would either, A) Have to have been earning GS-11 Step 10 base pay, or B) Already been a GS-12 (Step 4 to be exact).

So, is this correct? Can we not promote our employees who were in GS-11 equivalent pay bands, earning greater than GS-11 Step 4 base pay?? This isn't passing the common sense test for me.

Also, since OPM has ruled that Special Rate Supplements are now treated the same as locality pay, I feel like it would make the most sense for our employees to just use Base pay to Base pay comparisons. 

Thoughts?
fcarver  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 5:44:06 AM(UTC)
fcarver

I ask because there's conflicting information, and because common sense says not to use locality/special rates, because they are cost of living based typically.

This link:  http://www.opm.gov/compconf/postconf00/primer/brehe.htm
is from OPM and says to just use base pay.

This link:  http://www.opm.gov/oca/pay/HTML/PayExFWS.asp
also from OPM shows multiple examples, all of which use the pay tables that do include locality pay. Which is correct?

So confused....
fcarver  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:08:42 AM(UTC)
fcarver

No HR folks out there with a good idea?

Representative rate? Base pay only? Or includes locality/special rates?

Thanks!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed