Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Training and Certification

Whether you want to improve your skills, boost your resume or prepare for a new job opportunity, training and certification programs and resources can help you achieve your goals. With the right program and resource, you will be more productive and this will help you climb the career ladder.

Here is a forum to ask questions about a particular program, to exchange insight on which is the right training, to share which certifications are the best to attain, to seek out what to do first, and to offer recommendations to others.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Valencia  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 9:35:52 AM(UTC)
Valencia

Groups: Registered

I am interested in a position that appears to be covered under the DAWIA Act.  Since I am not certified, will this hinder my application (it does appears that, if selected, I would have a 24 month period to become certified)?  Are there classes or courses I could take as a private sector civilian that would allow me to become certified prior to submitting for the position?

This position may also be a Critical Aquisition Position (CAPs), and indicates I need to be a member of the Aquisition Corps.  Since I have no idea what this is, I obviously am NOT a member ;)  However, can someone provide information about this organization and how one might become involved?

Any comments or insights you may have would be greatly appreciated!

martyb  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 11:27:07 AM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't think so.  You'll be able to complete the DAWIA requirements after you are hired into the position.  That is what I did.  I was able to take a few of the courses before I was hired because I was already a DoD employee, although it wasn't in a DAWIA position.  I finished the rest of the courses after I was hired into the position with DCMA.  That's what most people do, take the course after being hired.  Some of the DAWIA training will be online computer based, and some will require physical attendance in a classroom.  The training is administered and conducted by Defense Acquisition University (DAU).  You can Google them for more information. martyb2010-10-11 19:32:51
Forum trolls to 0%
hjajck  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:58:32 AM(UTC)
hjajck

I took a DAWIA II course online through the Defense Acquisition University for free.  I am not sure if you are eligible or not, but it is a great resource.   

Description: The Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) was amended significantly during Fiscal Year 2004 and 2005. These amendments (generally referred as DAWIA II) provide a number of flexibilities to enable the Department of Defense (DoD) to more effectively develop and manage its Acquisition, Technology & Logistics (AT&L) Workforce. This module covers the transformation from DAWIA to DAWIA II.

This module takes approximately three hours to complete. It contains an end of module test that must be passed with a 100% score. You will have unlimited attempts to pass the test.

Upon completion of this module, you will receive 3 Continuous Learning Points (CLP), an electronic certificate of completion in your ATLAS account and a record of completion entered into your DAU Transcript.

martyb  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:07:38 AM(UTC)
martyb

It takes more than just the one course you took to get DAWIA certification.  Also, the further along you get into the courses required, you'll find out there are no longer unlimited attempts allowed to pass a test.  I don't think you'll be able to take the courses without being ether a fed employee or military, but I might be wrong.  Don't think, though.
Forum trolls to 0%
hjajck  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:56:00 PM(UTC)
hjajck

martyb wrote:
It takes more than just the one course you took to get DAWIA certification. 

True, and I never said it got me certified.  One course is better than no courses at all. Wink
hjajck2010-10-20 05:01:57
martyb  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:03:53 AM(UTC)
martyb

hjajck wrote:
martyb wrote:

True, and I never said it got me certified.  One course is better than no courses at all. Wink

OK, gotcha.  Try to take all you can.  They do get a little tougher as you get in deeper, but they're not too bad.  Best of luck to you...
Forum trolls to 0%
hjajck  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:57:00 PM(UTC)
hjajck

martyb wrote:
hjajck wrote:
martyb wrote:

OK, gotcha.  Try to take all you can.  They do get a little tougher as you get in deeper, but they're not too bad.  Best of luck to you...

I always look at everything as a resume builder.  But it's good to know that they get harder as you go.  I guess that's how it is with everything in life, or at least schooling.
Missile_Engineer  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:58:22 AM(UTC)
Missile_Engineer

Depending on where you want to take the DAWIA courses you will be bumped if your employment is not slotted for that particular concentration (if there is a high demand). It's been near impossible to get the Project Management Level III class as a SPRD&E Level III professional. As the previous posters mentioned, the gov't will hire you and give you the time and resources to get the certification required by your hire within 24 months. Anything outside your concentration (to grow into other areas) can take a while. Good luck.
shelter1  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:08:27 AM(UTC)
shelter1

Regarding SPRDE-Systems Engineering Certification
I know there are tests that must be passed at 100% when completing the on-line courses. What about the classroom courses? Are there difficult tests involved when taking the classroom courses?
otakar  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 1:11:03 AM(UTC)
otakar

Valencia wrote:
I am interested in a position that appears to be covered under the DAWIA Act.  Since I am not certified, will this hinder my application (it does appears that, if selected, I would have a 24 month period to become certified)?  Are there classes or courses I could take as a private sector civilian that would allow me to become certified prior to submitting for the position?

This position may also be a Critical Aquisition Position (CAPs), and indicates I need to be a member of the Aquisition Corps.  Since I have no idea what this is, I obviously am NOT a member ;)  However, can someone provide information about this organization and how one might become involved?

Any comments or insights you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Did you apply? Were you selected? Just curious. Big smile
Valencia  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:20:56 PM(UTC)
Valencia

Firstly, while I haven't been good at expressing it, many thanks to all who has posted.  Your comments have been incredibly helpful!

I was able to take the online courses for level I and level II certification - I'm still not quite clear if that means that I am "officially" certified, but at least it's a step in the right direction ;)

I have applied for three positions, two of which I didn't even make the first "cut" (groan).  I have a resume in currently, and hoping for a positive outcome, but it's definitely a frustrating process and feels a little like a black hole. However in the meanwhile, I'm crossing my fingers and continue to appreciate everyone's feedback and responses.

Cheers!
shelter1  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:44:03 PM(UTC)
shelter1

Valencia, I believe after completing the courses you must work one year to gain experience and actually APPLY for the certification. Getting the coursework out of the way would be a definate advantage though.
Good luck!
bmj2  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:53:12 AM(UTC)
bmj2

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The courses and certification are specific to various career fields.  Each field has it's requirements to meet for certification (X courses, so many years in such and such job, etc).  The requirements get more specific the higher the cert level.  However many of the basic acq courses are applicable to all career fields.

Once you take the courses you have to submit a letter or whatever format your agency requires to the POC for certification.  Then you get back a notice if they accepted your certification (don't know anyone who was rejected if they met the requirements).

Frankly the in class courses were a blast.  You met with professionals from all around the country and actually spent much time in a case study method where you learned as much or more from how others approached the problem than from the school solution.

The downside to DAWIA is the 80 hours every two years -- it's getting harder and harder to get approval for courses to maintain certification between budget cuts and those who need the course for mission.
Dippi  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:05:00 AM(UTC)
Dippi

My husband is applying for a position that requires a Level II DAWIA certification within 2 years.
He doesn't have a college degree and we were wondering if there are any education requirements for the DAWIA certification.  Does anyone know?
martyb  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:51:49 AM(UTC)
martyb

No, there are no college degree requirements for the Level ll.  I am Level ll certified, just completed it last year, and I don't have a degree.  If he is going to work for DCMA, then he'll have to complete the required DAU (Defense Acquisition University) courses, plus most likely will just also have to wait till the 2 yrs time passes.  There will be several courses, including ACQ 101, PQM 101, ACQ 201A & B, PQM 201 A & B.  The "B" parts will be in-residence someplace, wherever his employer chooses to send him (will be cost-based depending on his location).   They are only 1 week classes.  The others are all on-line, that he can do from his work computer & also at home if he wants to.  They start off easy, but do get a little more difficult, but still nothing too hard.  I'm sure he'll do fine.  His employer will pay for his costs to travel & stay at the in-residence classes.  Best of luck!
Forum trolls to 0%
dtmd  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:43:07 PM(UTC)
dtmd

dtmd2014-01-16 12:54:45
sunrise  
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:40:47 AM(UTC)
sunrise

dtmd wrote:
If Level II certification is a requirement to meet within 24 months - what happens if the person doesn't get the training done or get the certification?

The way it was explained to me, assess yourself continually, but at 18 months do a major assessment of your needs and start getting through to your supervisor, training coordinator, DAWIA help desk, etc. if you feel you're off-track. I'm just starting to work on my Level I right now.
martyb  
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:51:35 AM(UTC)
martyb

I don't see how it wouldn't be completed in 24 months or less, unless the person just isn't trying, or possibly one or two of the classes isn't available for some reason. If the person wants to get it done, it really shouldn't be a problem.
Forum trolls to 0%
deddude  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:36:28 PM(UTC)
deddude

it took me 4.5 years to get PQM Level 3, SPRDE-SE Level 3, FE Level 3, SPRDE-PSE Level 3, PM level 2 and TE level 2 done.
SPRDE(s) and TE required a 4 year degree in engineering related field at Level 2.
Whoever said PM level 3 is impossible to get is correct, they fill up very fast, TE and FE level 3 are also hard to get. I have been trying for more than 24 months to get a TE level 3 class. I had a confirmed seat for Feb 2013, then sequestration and no money for travel hit. FE level 3 had no instructors for about 3 years, now there is a huge backlog.

They have to give you waivers for the 2 year requirements. Many level 2 require 4 years in the field, then get your level 2, Level 3 requires upto 8 years in the field, then you can get your level 3.
Ignore deddude, he's not really giving legitimate advice.
valuequest  
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 07, 2013 5:55:08 AM(UTC)
valuequest

Dippi wrote:
My husband is applying for a position that requires a Level II DAWIA certification within 2 years.
He doesn't have a college degree and we were wondering if there are any education requirements for the DAWIA certification.  Does anyone know?

Each acquisition career field has its own standards for certification which are currently located at http://icatalog.dau.mil/...ecatalog/CareerLvl.aspx. Upon reviewing these you will find that current certification standards for some acquisition career fields including SPRDE-SE, SPRDE-PSE and Test & Evaluation require specific education while certification standards for other career fields including Information Technology do not.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed