Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Equally Wrong  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:42:32 PM(UTC)
Equally Wrong

Groups: Registered

I recently (well actually 2.5 weeks ago) got referred for an announcement that fell under the rule of three. I have yet to be contacted for an interview. I'm beginning to think that it is not going to happen. Am I right to think that only three candidates were referred? I've read topics on pre-selection and the 'good-old-boy' network and am beginning to think I may be a victim of such selections. Is it typical for such an announcement to take so long or even longer to conduct interviews? I've contacted the POC on the announcement but am not getting any responses.
baron90  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:23:10 PM(UTC)
baron90

You may not have been contacted because there may have been more than 3 veterans on the list that had a higher veterans preference.  Our agency is seeing a large increase in the number of applications we are receiving for every vacancy announcement and many of those have hundreds of veterans so keep that in mind.
Equally Wrong  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:37:39 PM(UTC)
Equally Wrong

Thanks for posting that. I forgot about vet preference. There is a big thread around here somewhere about vet preference. I now see what all the stink is about

But I was thinking, that the rule of three means the top three scores are referred regardless of vet preference. Am I wrong? Now, I do know that if the other two are vets they will be offered the job first. Yet, wow, I thought at least I'd get an opportunity to interview.

Equally Wrong2010-10-14 07:47:03
jhxetc  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:10:08 AM(UTC)
jhxetc

To answer your question "is it usual to take so long." Yes.

Aside from just vets preference, they may not even fill the position from the public. If there was a status posting as well, it may get filled from that list.

FedMasterForever  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:32:39 AM(UTC)
FedMasterForever

baron90 wrote:
You may not have been contacted because there may have been more than 3 veterans on the list that had a higher veterans preference.  Our agency is seeing a large increase in the number of applications we are receiving for every vacancy announcement and many of those have hundreds of veterans so keep that in mind.

It's such a great system isn't it? 
FedMasterForever  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:37:40 AM(UTC)
FedMasterForever

Equally Wrong wrote:
Thanks for posting that. I forgot about vet preference. There is a big thread around here somewhere about vet preference. I now see what all the stink is about

But I was thinking, that the rule of three means the top three scores are referred regardless of vet preference. Am I wrong? Now, I do know that if the other two are vets they will be offered the job first. Yet, wow, I thought at least I'd get an opportunity to interview.

That's exactly why non-preference applicants rarely get an opportunity to interview.  All of the vets on this board try to cover it up by saying I know someone who's not a vet that just got a job.  Without a doubt some non-preference candidates are being hired, as they should be, because non-preference candidates make up a whole lot more of the population than preference-candidates.  The odds are majorly stacked in the preference-vets favor throughout the entire hiring system.  And many times it cuts out the most qualified non-preference candidate because they don't get referred initially, or they have to select the vet over the non-vet in the final decision. 
FunK  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:36:06 AM(UTC)
FunK

There is no end to her rambling..  It's the same thing over and over..  Yet if you scan the threads about folks getting jobs, just in the last month or so.....     Gasp!  many aren't vets at all!

jhxetc  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:40:18 AM(UTC)
jhxetc

FedMasterForever wrote:

That's exactly why non-preference applicants rarely get an opportunity to interview.  All of the vets on this board try to cover it up by saying I know someone who's not a vet that just got a job.  Without a doubt some non-preference candidates are being hired, as they should be, because non-preference candidates make up a whole lot more of the population than preference-candidates.  The odds are majorly stacked in the preference-vets favor throughout the entire hiring system.  And many times it cuts out the most qualified non-preference candidate because they don't get referred initially, or they have to select the vet over the non-vet in the final decision. 

I think they are just excluding you.
Equally Wrong  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:45:32 AM(UTC)
Equally Wrong

I think I am making a valid observation. I am one of thr three people scoring the highest and I have not been interviewed yet. I know I may jumping the gun since there is no change in my USAJobs status, but this wait is enough to cause heart failure. How long does it take to maybe do a preliminary background screening candidates and set appointments for interviews. The governments' processes are slower than grandma and grandpa on a Sunday afternoon drive.
jhxetc  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:04:59 AM(UTC)
jhxetc

Equally Wrong wrote:
I think I am making a valid observation. I am one of thr three people scoring the highest and I have not been interviewed yet. I know I may jumping the gun since there is no change in my USAJobs status, but this wait is enough to cause heart failure. How long does it take to maybe do a preliminary background screening candidates and set appointments for interviews. The governments' processes are slower than grandma and grandpa on a Sunday afternoon drive.

It can take a while. I would continue to apply for other positions in the mean time. If you wait to hear anything about each job you'll spend most of your time waiting. Good luck.
WallStAnalyst  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:05:04 AM(UTC)
WallStAnalyst

Just curious, what are people's views on vet preferences in federal hiring?  
jhxetc  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:06:09 AM(UTC)
jhxetc

WallStAnalyst wrote:

Ermm
Kerynem  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:15:39 AM(UTC)
Kerynem

Smile
FedMasterForever  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:25:12 AM(UTC)
FedMasterForever

jhxetc wrote:

FedMasterForever wrote:

I think they are just excluding you.

And the majority of other non-preference candidates that can't make the cutoff scores because they are above 100 up until GS 9 positions. 
lazyfed  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:26:40 AM(UTC)
lazyfed

WallStAnalyst wrote:
Its the law!! The biggest complainer here s a female who had no problem with quotas when it was in her favor
Kerynem  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:36:34 AM(UTC)
Kerynem

Exactly, discussions like this are meaningless, petty, and are certainly not going to get you anywhere. I believe that unless you have served this country, you have no right to judge. As was previously said, "It's the law!".
vet_4_life  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:48:50 AM(UTC)
vet_4_life

Kerynem wrote:
I believe that unless you have served this country, you have no right to judge. As was previously said, "It's the law!".

This is exactly right and your a true patriot for saying this.  I'm sure you have served this great country with honor unlike a lot of this members. 
cyberdefender  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:12:26 AM(UTC)
cyberdefender

wow. another pro/anti flame war sprouting. i wonder who will win. Wacko
Zephyrus  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:10:16 AM(UTC)
Zephyrus

Equally Wrong wrote:
I am one of thr three people scoring the highest and I have not been interviewed yet. I know I may jumping the gun since there is no change in my USAJobs status, but this wait is enough to cause heart failure.

If there is no change in the USAJobs status and the POC has not returned your calls, how do you know you are in the top three?

Also, the rule of 3 is supposed to be history after Nov 1st (or more accurately when individual agencies choose to enact the new OPM hiring rules).  The good news is that under the replacement, called "category ranking", many more people will be referred.  The bad news is that it won't lead to more non-preference people being interviewed.
FedMasterForever  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:32:40 AM(UTC)
FedMasterForever

Zephyrus wrote:
  The good news is that under the replacement, called "category ranking", many more people will be referred.  The bad news is that it won't lead to more non-preference people being interviewed.

Great more exclusions. 
Rss Feed  Atom Feed