Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cher578  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:33:12 AM(UTC)
Cher578

Groups: Registered

I'm looking for answers. I am a Contract OPM Background Investigator put on suspension. NO ONE will tell me why because there is an internal investigation going on. I will not know anything for 6 weeks to 6 months!!

Has anyone been through this? Angry Shocked Cry Confused
contractor  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:18:48 AM(UTC)
contractor

I am assuming either they suspect falsification of testimonies or incorrect billing.  I haven't known anyone to get suspended but I am aware of several internal investigations (most are unfounded-sources forget things and in some cases forget they were ever interviewed).
Cher578  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:41:21 AM(UTC)
Cher578

WOW, so a source can "forget" they were interviewed or specific details of the interview and BANG....you get suspended.

Goodness, doesn't OPM hold some validity in the Investigator? That seems to make an Investigator suseptible to ANY alligation; which can impact their careers.

What sort of interal investigations are you aware of?
contractor  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:09:03 AM(UTC)
contractor

Quality control-all companies have them.  They are people who are doing things like recontacting your sources to make sure you reported what you were told and to confirm you met with them, whether it was in person or over the phone, if others were present, etc.  There have been cases in the past of investigators making up testimonies or falsifying what sources told them (in one case the investigator did not get residential coverage for the entire coverage period with the two neighbors he contacted so he falsified the dates of association to make it seem that both neighbors covered the time period).  Stuff like that.   It is impossible to say why you would have been suspended, though.  Sorry I can't be of more help...
ecarlsen  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:48:13 AM(UTC)
ecarlsen

"suspect falsification of testimonies or incorrect billing"

As a federal investigator I dont see the contract side of the house often.. but I would guess the above possibilities posted above are the reason. Very likley something minor; if not...you would be well aware of the issue. Good luck! I sure hope all is well, big organizations have strange hiccups.
ecarlsen2010-10-20 14:54:49
Cher578  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:58:16 AM(UTC)
Cher578

I was told it wasn't serious. I asked them to define "serious." In my mind this is serious. They said if it were I would have been terminated immediately. That surely didn't help matters.

I just hope it is resolved much sooner than 6 weeks to 6 months.
contractor  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:56:04 AM(UTC)
contractor

Again, it's been known to happen.  Once a source stated they met with a male investigator when the investigator working the case was a female.  Lots of questions ensued.  It wasn't until the investigator was presented to the source in person that the source indicated, yes, that was the same person but they thought the investigator was a male (I think she was a little masculine...).  True story.  I can't imagine the investigation would take 6 months...  Good luck!
SCJ04  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2011 4:48:47 AM(UTC)
SCJ04

Hi Cher,

It's been more than six months.  Have you gotten an answer from OPM?  I found out early this last week that I was put on suspension.  I am so floored/shocked/confused/hurt.  No one with tell me a single thing.  I was given a "postive" by a fellow investigator who went through this a year ago told me that if they don't fire you immeadiately it's for something "minor" like a source not remembering they spoke with you, or claiming they didn't receive any messages from you. 
Surfcaster  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:27:24 AM(UTC)
Surfcaster

I went through a similar situation a few years ago. I was assigned to cover leads which were over do on two seperate cases. I was told by the case manager to conduct the leads by phone to expedite the cases. Which I did. One of the leads was a NYC parking garage to verify if the subject ever worked there. The second was also a work verification and co-worker interview. I was later suspended because the garage attendent could not remember the name of the investigator who called him, and the employment verification on the second set of leads listed the title of the interviewd party as an administrator instead of a manager. I kid you not. OIG investigated the case because they said the two seperate leads formed a pattern which required the suspension and investigation. I decided to work other contracts and not go back to OPM. The stress and liability of working for that agency in my opinion is not worth it. I worked in law enforcement for 30 years and never saw anything as flimsy as the mentioned circumstances cause that kind of response. And it took over 6 months before it was resolved. I would say what a joke, but when your going through that nonsense it is anything but a joke. 
                                                                                                  Good luck
OXSC10  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 7:09:33 AM(UTC)
OXSC10

Surfcaster, you're right, it's anything but a joke, but it's a huge joke.  I too have been there, done that and can say I'm still standing today.  It sucked when it happened and I felt like my entire world had collapsed around me.  What I've learned from the situation is OPM does not care as much about their contractors.  It's a sad story, and I warn anyone thinking of being an OPM contractor.  There is no warning that you are going to be taken off the contract.  I interviewed an elderly neighbor who was the only one to fit the scope for a subject's residence.  The woman clearly did not recall me sitting in her kitchen for two hours while she talked non stop about the subject.  My second strike was a very upset subject who was not given a clearance and filed a formal complaint that EVERYTHING I had written about him was false, even the negative stuff his co workers had said.  Ugh.  When I was "suspended" from the contract my agency and OPM made it sound like doom and gloom.  I hired a lawyer because of all the negative information my agency gave me about being prosecuted if the investigation came back with negative results.  I finally learned that as a contractor once you are taken off the contract your investigation stops.  Unless of course they have grounds to prosecute, but in most cases you will know about that early on.  I'm not saying it isn't a big deal. You never want to get pulled from a contract or have your clearance suspended. What I've learned from this situation is that other government agencies understand how OPM is run and when I've explained this situation in job interviews (I don't attempt to hide this.) the agencies just nod. It hasn't seemed to stop me from getting a job, which was a HUGE concern of mine when this happened.

Whale wall  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:33:17 AM(UTC)
Whale wall

Surfcaster, it makes no sense to me why OIG would have investigated this. If the worker could not remember the name of the investigator who he talked to at the parking garage, no U.S. Attorney in hell would have moved forward on this case, therefore, NO OIG would have actually spent time on this case. I am just saying unless you know otherwise. I may be wrong though, but come on it does sound ignorant of OPM to suspend someone because some minimum wage parking attendant forgot the name of someone. Just saying the U.S. Gov does some weird stuff. However, if someone at OPM who you dealt with did not like you or had problems with you than that explains it all.
Surfcaster  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:29:06 PM(UTC)
Surfcaster

Your forgetting the second half of the scenerio. Which was the second phone interview for the employment reference which according to the OIG investigator triggered the investigation. I suggest you go back and read my post again. Also remember as your re-reading that I was assigned both those leads by my case manager and told they were to be conducted by phone to expedite the case.
Whale wall  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:47:19 AM(UTC)
Whale wall

Sorry about that bro, Surfcaster, well if OIG questioned you, what rights did they give you. Because if it was actually OIG that interviewed you, your probably a subject and a criminal investigation is still going on right now as we speak. Until they finally figure this out and close the case. By that time you will know. This sucks, it was your at your supervisors discretion. Sorry you have to be in that situation.
Surfcaster  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:17:41 AM(UTC)
Surfcaster

No problem Whale it was definitly OIG he had his shiney gold badge and everything. A rep from OPM was also there. The case has been dropped, and I was offered my OPM contractor job back. However I have decided to work other contracts, rather then OPM. Just too much BS with them and there is no safety net for their contractors. If your Federal you have a union and representation. As a contractor you are fighting them alone. If they do bring you up on charges valid or not. The money for your defense comes out of your pocket, and your fighting against a federal agency with unlimited resources. In that scenerio even if you win you lose.
Contract Inv.  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:20:25 PM(UTC)
Contract Inv.

I'm hoping someone can help me out, I recently learned that I have been puton suspension. I was given absolutely no information as to why. I was simply told that I would learn of my status with the company in 6 weeks to 6 months. I see this has happened to others and would like to know how long it took/whetheryou were allowed to work again/were you able to collect unemployment. thanks.
Surfcaster  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:43:28 PM(UTC)
Surfcaster

CI as you stated you read the other posts here. OPM and your company conduct interviews of cases and leads you have worked on. If they get negative feedback or suspect you falsified some of your paperwork they suspend you until they can confirm one way or the other. As I stated in my other post, their methods are highly questionable. I was offered my creds back, but decided working for OPM without the benefit of union representation is not a good idea. Good luck.
Contract Inv.  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:34:16 AM(UTC)
Contract Inv.

thanks, it has just been a very stressful experience. I have never falsified anything and the lack of information you receive from contractor/opm is ridiculous.
contractor  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:58:40 AM(UTC)
contractor

If you're a true contractor (1099) and not an employee you won't be entitled to unemployment benefits. You may want to look into joining one of the contract investigator associations, they may have legal representation options. Good luck. My worst nightmare even though I perform my duties with integrity. Too many horror stories...
Contract Inv.  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:23:16 AM(UTC)
Contract Inv.

I am actually employed by one of the contractors(usis, caci, etc). Seeing that i am still an employee but not getting work is it still possible to get unemployment. thanks again
Contract Inv.  
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:13:41 AM(UTC)
Contract Inv.

Just a quick question to anyone who has been suspended on the OPM contract working for a contractor. I have now been suspended for 2 months and have not heard anything from anyone. How long did it take for any information to be received? Also, was anyone terminated prior to OPM's "investigation" coming back. Thanks for the help.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed