Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZM  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 2:24:56 AM(UTC)
ZM

Groups: Registered

Do spouses of civilian DOD employees get any special preferences? 
Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 2:29:06 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

No.  Military spouses get special preferences.
DAC1975  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 3:10:25 AM(UTC)
DAC1975

Overseas civilian spouses are treated as military spouses in my expeirience. But it depends on what your referring too. We have post exchange and commisary privledges. Also have medical Clinic access by space avaialble. Maybe some are Agency specific (ie Army, Air Force) not sure. I am a Army Civilian and we get spouse employment preference benifits. Many others. In the states they have zero benifits other than a possible ID card and post access. DAC19752010-10-29 11:18:46
sakijo  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 3:38:25 AM(UTC)
sakijo

Stateside civilian spouses can get "basic" MWR privileges like going to the movies at the base theater, gym, bowling, etc. if you are there to sponsor them.  Every base has different rules, so this may not be applicable to your situation.

Like DAC1975 said, overseas civilian spouses are treated like military spouses and have PX, commissary, etc.
Zenergy  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 4:24:50 AM(UTC)
Zenergy

Spouses of civilian DOD employees get family member preference, the next best thing.  You have to provide proof of your orders though and it has to show your spouse as a dependent.  If you are not on orders (Local hire), the spouse get's no additional preference. Hope this helps.
ezurick  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:56:31 AM(UTC)
ezurick

Zenergy wrote:
Spouses of civilian DOD employees get family member preference, the next best thing.  You have to provide proof of your orders though and it has to show your spouse as a dependent.  If you are not on orders (Local hire), the spouse get's no additional preference. Hope this helps.

That is overseas only.  And not ALL overseas.  I was PCS'd to Okinawa in a management position with the Marine Corps, but my wife had no preferences there.
mojoho  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:58:08 PM(UTC)
mojoho

Good morning,

I searched the forum and couldn't find any answers related to my situation.  My wife and I have both simultaneously (we have our own orders) accepted jobs in Germany with the DoD.  Does anyone know how our dual employment effects our benefits (e.g., LQSA, LQA for housing, etc.).  Will we get double the benefits?  I searched the state department website and the DoD civilian PCS website to no avail.
sakijo  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:43:24 AM(UTC)
sakijo

mojoho wrote:
Good morning,

I searched the forum and couldn't find any answers related to my situation.  My wife and I have both simultaneously (we have our own orders) accepted jobs in Germany with the DoD.  Does anyone know how our dual employment effects our benefits (e.g., LQSA, LQA for housing, etc.).  Will we get double the benefits?  I searched the state department website and the DoD civilian PCS website to no avail.

While I was in Japan, there was a couple that had separate orders and they got double LQA, which covered their $4,000/mo rent, utilities, etc.  Everything else is moot, because as a dependent, you would get the rest of the benefits - same as if you were working (PX, Commissary, etc.).  Check with HR in Germany, different places have different rules.
Asiago  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:48:45 AM(UTC)
Asiago

My wife and I have PCS'ed 3 times under seperate orders with the AF. You each will earn full LQA (you can rent a mansion).  You should each get 18,000 Lbs to ship HHG's and each get a POV shipment. If you have dependents, one of you will need to claim them on orders. As far as what we in the AF refer to as TQSA/TQSE you each get 100%...The only thing they get squirley with is the MISC Expense..that will be limited to 1K..I recommend getting to know the JTR Vol II...
ezurick  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:26:14 AM(UTC)
ezurick

Asiago wrote:
My wife and I have PCS'ed 3 times under seperate orders with the AF. You each will earn full LQA (you can rent a mansion).  You should each get 18,000 Lbs to ship HHG's and each get a POV shipment. If you have dependents, one of you will need to claim them on orders. As far as what we in the AF refer to as TQSA/TQSE you each get 100%...The only thing they get squirley with is the MISC Expense..that will be limited to 1K..I recommend getting to know the JTR Vol II...

This is not correct....  if your spouse is accompanying you, she don't get separate orders and benefits...  if so, please bank those funds and be prepared to pay it back (with penalities) when they catch up to you.  Now, if she is a separate employee, that is different.  The question is about DoD civilian employee spouse...

Asiago  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:32:16 AM(UTC)
Asiago

That she is ezurick, DoD Employee Spouse and we each got our seperate orders to the same duty location...sorry if that was not clear..
ezurick  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:50:34 AM(UTC)
ezurick

Asiago wrote:
That she is ezurick, DoD Employee Spouse and we each got our seperate orders to the same duty location...sorry if that was not clear..

I don't believe you... Just being a spouse don't gives her any right or govt obligation for her to receive separate benefits from the sponsor.  If someone is doing something illegally, it will catch up eventually...

Asiago  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:18:41 AM(UTC)
Asiago

Sorry you feel that way and it sounds like you are shooting from the hip w/o any facts or personal history on how to respond to the question posted by MOHOJO . Leads me to think that I could characterize your other 194 posts the same way...

Anyhow in response to MOHOJO who asked about he and his spouse travelling on seperate orders,  the JTR VOL 2 and see what it allows for under Chapter 5, Part A, C5000, Section B...as dual employees we have to elect in writing if we want to travel under one set of orders for the entire family, or if we elect to travel each on seperate orders...I recommend travelling seperate orders for the reasons I stated earlier..hope this helps...

B. Two or More Family Members Employed (FTR §302-3.200)
1. Travel and Transportation Allowance Alternatives. When two or more employees, who are members of the same immediate family, are transferred in the GOV’T’s interest, they may elect to receive the travel and transportation allowances authorized under Ch 5 as one of the following:
a. Each as an employee separately. In this situation, each employee is eligible for travel and transportation allowances as an employee, but is not treated as the other employee’s dependent.
b. Only one as an employee. In this situation, the one employee is eligible for travel and transportation
allowances on behalf of the others as dependents.
2. Non-employee Dependent. When an employee elects separate travel and transportation allowances under par. C5000-B1a, duplicate benefits must not be paid to both employees on behalf of a non-employee dependent.
3. Procedures. An election under par. C5000-B1 must be in writing and signed by all affected employees.
When employees elect separate benefits under par. C5000-B1a, the election also must specify to which
employee allowances will be paid for non-employee dependents
sakijo  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:06:32 AM(UTC)
sakijo

ezurick wrote:
Asiago wrote:

I don't believe you... Just being a spouse don't gives her any right or govt obligation for her to receive separate benefits from the sponsor.  If someone is doing something illegally, it will catch up eventually...

Couples that are hired separately, with their own separate transportation agreements are entitled to all benefits allowed (including TQSA, TQSE, and LQA).  Spouses who come along as Family Members receive benefits accorded to all Family members (base access, commissary, PX. etc).
baron90  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:27:33 AM(UTC)
baron90

If both are hired under separate orders then one will receive the 'with family rate' and the other will receive the 'without family rate'.
SF18C  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:49:00 AM(UTC)
SF18C

My only question would be how do you "legally" rent a mansion when you turn in your lease to housing?  I thought LQA would only pay for one lease contract and combining names on the lease would reduce the amount paid to each.  As well as TQSA...do you both submit the same receipt or reserve separate rooms? (paying twice as much)

Asiago  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:50:43 AM(UTC)
Asiago

You are correct...combining names on the lease will result in less being payed to each member,  but when your combined LQA is 89K pa, you can rent what you want....we never made any money by travelling on seperate orders, but it did allow for renting something really nice (pool, large yard, large garage, etc) and ship one POV each. TQSA would be one receipt and then split...The dual orders is pretty common practice as the HR's that in-processed us were very familiar with how to handle the situation..actually when I returned to Ramstein for my second tour, the HR staff remembered my wife and I from our previous tour.
BTW, hope you are enjoying Vicenza...grew up there from from 67-80...go have a pizza for me...
SF18C  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:15:57 PM(UTC)
SF18C

Thanks Asiago...that is what I thought but I know that I don't know everything! I do know there are GS couples that have their separate orders and for the most part get full entitlements.

My Vicenza time is almost up...less than 30 days.  We are headed back to CONUS.  Sure wish my wife had her own orders...I had to pay to send our second POV back!  Rest assured, I will be taking some “dolce Asiago” with me (and quite a few bottles of vino!!!)

SF18C2011-01-20 23:22:10
ezurick  
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:13:54 PM(UTC)
ezurick

Asiago wrote:

Sorry you feel that way and it sounds like you are shooting from the hip w/o any facts or personal history on how to respond to the question posted by MOHOJO . Leads me to think that I could characterize your other 194 posts the same way...

If you are referring to me, then try to be more subjectic and use a reference, if you are capable.

I really don't give a sh* t how you characterize anything I post and would be more than happy if you didn't read them or respond.  My responses were related to the OP question and situation (DoD Employee Spouse).  Nothing about dual employment... spouse is not an employee.  Got it Poindexter?
Spanky  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 4:47:03 AM(UTC)
Spanky

lol.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed