Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
evanom  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:34:48 AM(UTC)
evanom

Groups: Registered

Hello, I aplyed for a  PM RELIEF/REPLCMNT position in the Sacramento area and it closed on the 11th of this month. Anyone know how long I should expect the application reviewing process to take? Also, the job description didn't state how much it paid but, I see in other ads that the base pay is around $9 an hour....ouch. Seeing that the position is in Sacramento, would it have a locality pay tacked on to the base pay? I think Sac area is around 21%.

Anything more about the job would be very appreciated, the ad didn't have a job description.

Thanks!

boober  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:49:59 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
PM RELIEF as in Post Master RELIEF position?
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
retiring20soon  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:09:04 AM(UTC)
retiring20soon

Here is some information on the PMR positions.

Please be aware that the PMR is not a carrer position in the USPS so you get no benefits or retirement.

Postmaster Relief / Replacement

Starting Wages: Wages vary by location. The average in 2009 was $9.50 per hour.

The Postmaster Relief / Replacement (PMR) job is an unusual non-career relief position. Before describing the job, we must first describe where these jobs are available.

There are small Post Offices in communities across the country that have only one single employee. This employee has the title of Postmaster, but in fact he/she does it all. The functions available in one of these small Post Offiices are usually limited to P.O. Boxes and a retail counter where you can get stamps, buy money orders, drop off packages to be mailed, etc. These small facilities may not even offer mail delivery. Due to lesser business demands, these small Post Offices may not keep normal business hours. They may be open only certain hours of the day and/or certain days of the week.

Even in one of these small Post Offices, the one single employee – the “Postmaster” – gets days off, takes vacations, needs to occasionally take sick leave, etc. When this employee is out, it is the job of a PMR to cover for him/her. The PMR position is a part-time relief job to cover for the Postmaster at one of these small Post Offices when the Postmaster is out for whatever reason. PMR’s are not career employees and do not get benefits.

As you might expect, a PMR gets limited hours. The actual Postmaster may not even get full-time hours, so what can the PMR expect?

PMR wages vary by location. The average in 2009 was $9.50 per hour.

PMR applicants are not required to take an exam.

retiring20soon2010-11-14 09:14:38
evanom  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:02:16 AM(UTC)
evanom

Thanks! Besides the wages, it sounds like a good job. I just hope they call me soon for an interview. My current job is ending in a week.

Does the USPS move fast at filling jobs? Or are they on the slow side?

Juliska  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 5:17:14 AM(UTC)
Juliska

evanom wrote:
Seeing that the position is in Sacramento, would it have a locality pay tacked on to the base pay? I think Sac area is around 21%.

Was curious about this part.  Are Alaska and Hawaii the only states that get more pay than any other state?

EDIT: NM, saw the part about locality pay.  8-)
Juliska2010-11-14 13:23:06
melissadusenberry  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:29:05 AM(UTC)
melissadusenberry

In my very limited experience, it takes a long time to fill the job.  They put it up online, it closes a certain date, then they schedule interviews (mine had been about a month after the listing closed), then they have to go through the whole drug testing, medical evaluation, etc, etc process which takes a long time too.
evanom  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 12:12:45 AM(UTC)
evanom

Drug test and a medical evaluation just for $9.50 and hour? Wow.
HappyJp  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 2:27:00 AM(UTC)
HappyJp

Melissa is right it does take some time. However Military and people that have worked for the PO before have the first go at the job opening. Usually they interview three at a time. these people all go for drug/health.. yes for 9.50 hr. get ready to make about 25.00 a week unless your postmaster takes a day off. PMRs are scheduled for ALL Saturdays!
Depending on the postmaster you work for you are at their beck and call just waiting for them to call you are on call M-F (they own you) :) anyway that is how it feels. I have worked many hours for free just to learn this job (not Fair) but my postmaster says her office can not afford to train me, so what else was I supposed to do to learn my job??    Good luck, it is a nice job just to get ya out of the house, if you don't need money :)
Southernclerk  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 2:56:20 AM(UTC)
Southernclerk

Postmaster has the ability to pay for training.  Sounds like PM was not knowledgable or not willing.
Common sense would tell anyone you cannot step into a PM positions and handle it all without training.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed