Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants

Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vinecanyon  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:39:32 AM(UTC)
vinecanyon

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I am a reemployed annuitant.  I have been reemployed for slightly over 3 years.  My annuity is very, very low because it is based on my high 3 salary of 25 years ago.  

Now, my high 3 salary is significantly higher, and I am desperate to work for 2 more years to meet the minimum reemployment period of 5 years to qualify for a recompilation of my annuity based on my new high 3.

Unfortunately, I am now suspicious that I am developing a serious medical condition that will possibly make it impossible for me to continue to work for the full remaining 2 years.

1. Please help me to understand if there is any way that I can obtain some sort of waiver to recompute my pension (even though I was unable to work for a full 5 years after being reemployed) if I can no longer maintain my employment because of a disabling medical condition?  If so, what steps can I take?

2. If the above is not possible, is there a way to be placed in some other "temporary" status (i.e. perhaps equivalent to a disability status, or enabled to work at a position with lower demands) for the remaining 2 years that would allow me to meet the 5 year requirement, and at that time recompute my pension?

Please help me to understand what my options are.

Thank you.

Window Clerk  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:13:07 AM(UTC)
Window Clerk

I found this...

A redetermined annuity is a recomputed annuity
that takes the place of your present annuity. If
you work as a reemployed annuitant on a full
time, continuous basis for at least 1 year, you
may be entitled to a supplemental annuity. If you
work part time, you must work a proportionately
longer period to earn a supplemental annuity. If
your reemployment continues for at least 5 years,
or the part-time equivalent, you may elect a redetermined
annuity.

At a minimum it looks like you would qualify for a supplemental annuity.

Page 6 from this link: http://afge171.org/OPM/RI83-12.PDF

vinecanyon  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:32:03 AM(UTC)
vinecanyon

Thank you for responding, but did you see my questions (#1 and #2)?

Thanks.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed