Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Window Clerk  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:31:42 PM(UTC)
Window Clerk

Groups: Registered

APWU President Cliff Guffey announced that the union and Postal Service
have extended their Collective Bargaining Agreement through Tuesday, Nov. 23, at noon. The contract was scheduled to expire Nov. 20. 

APWU President Cliff Guffey announced the contract will be extended through Tuesday, Nov. 23, at noon.

APWU President Cliff Guffey announced
the contract will be extended through Tuesday, Nov. 23, at noon.

“We do not have a new contract,” Guffey said, “but we
believe there is still potential to negotiate an agreement. The union and management will continue to discuss the topics that remain in dispute.” 

“Throughout the collective bargaining process, the APWU has sought
to protect our members’ jobs,” the union president said.  “Restoring
work that has been outsourced or assigned to managerial personnel will
bring stability to APWU members who have suffered extensive excessing and reassignments,” he said.

“Every proposal we have made to preserve jobs for our members will
also benefit the Postal Service, because APWU members can perform the work more efficiently and less expensively than subcontractors,” he said.

“Our proposals are good for the Postal Service and for the American people.”

The terms of the 2006-2010 Collective Bargaining Agreement remain in full
force and effect until a new agreement is reached, either through negotiation or binding arbitration.

Under the terms of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970, if the union
and management fail to reach agreement on a successor contract and do not
agree on an alternate procedure, the Federal Mediation and Conciliation
Service (FMCS) appoints a mediator.  If agreement is not reached within
60 days of the expiration of the contract, both parties submit all outstanding issues to binding arbitration.

Guffey said the negotiating team is hopeful about the possibility of reaching an agreement.

If arbitration becomes necessary, the APWU will appoint an arbitrator,
as will the USPS. The two party-appointed arbitrators will work with a
neutral arbitrator to ensure that each side’s interests are clearly understood.

Members of the Rank and File Bargaining Committee, who arrived in Washington,
DC, Nov. 14 to be on hand for any late-breaking developments at the bargaining
table, will return home, but they will be summoned back to Washington in
the event a tentative agreement is reached between the union and the Postal Service.

â€œThe committee serves as an important link between union negotiators
and members,” Guffey said. Although the national negotiating team
has full authority to negotiate an agreement, the Rank and File Bargaining Committee has the power to veto any tentative agreement between the parties.

If the Rank and File Committee approves a tentative agreement, every APWU member will be given the opportunity to vote to ratify or reject it.

“Important issues are at stake that will affect the more than 220,000
postal employees the APWU represents,” Guffey said. “The negotiating
team is committed to achieving a beneficial contract, and asks for the continued support of union members.”

The APWU will continue to provide frequent updates regarding negotiations. For the latest developments at the bargaining table, please visit www.apwu.org. Members
are also encouraged to follow the union on Twitter and Facebook to receive up-to-the-minute alerts by e-mail or text message.

Window Clerk2010-11-21 11:02:20
Southernclerk  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 6:34:41 PM(UTC)
Southernclerk

whats your thoughts? a short extension means? . . . . . something to vote on or time to pave way to arbitration?  I'll say something to vote on.
samac59  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 7:24:11 PM(UTC)
samac59

Am I missing something? To me it make no sense to extend the CBA for 3 days. Its a meaningless gesture. The terms of the CBA stay in effect anyway. Read paragraph 6 of Window Clerks post.  

The terms of the 2006-2010 Collective Bargaining Agreement remain in full force and effect until a new agreement is reached, either through negotiation or binding arbitration.

samac592010-11-21 03:29:40
Window Clerk  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 9:58:31 PM(UTC)
Window Clerk

Without actually being there, obviously this is only a guess but it sounds like we're close to getting a deal done. Close enough anyways to warrant an extension. Why else do this unless BOTH parties felt that there was chance of an agreement being reached.

But that's all it is. It gives both sides a chance probably to take a break today and come back Monday and hammer out some details.

The pressure is really on now to finalize a deal. But make no mistake...this thing can still fall through.

Window Clerk2010-11-21 06:04:43
samac59  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:07:03 PM(UTC)
samac59

The point I was trying to make is if they did nothing the CBA is automaticly extended anyway. It's lile they agreed that the sun will come up tomorrow. The perception is that they are doing something, but in reality they didn't do anything.
Window Clerk  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:26:16 PM(UTC)
Window Clerk

They agreed to keep talking.

Is it a deal? No. But it isn't going to arbitration and for me that signals a glimmer of hope that a deal is within reach.

I'm in the APWU and at this moment, Sunday November 21st I'd rather be with this Union than with the NRLCA.

BlameGame  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:40:14 PM(UTC)
BlameGame

I feel the APWU is taking the right direction in focusing on preserving jobs. In essence, the APWU is "preserving" the Craft because the "Clerk" position is fast becoming obsolete in the Postal Service.

Zip34  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:32:32 PM(UTC)
Zip34

I believe the 3 day extension is an attempt to say they tried everything to avoid the inevitable
Arbitration.
If the APWU and the USPS do indeed agree to a contract proposal  there will be major
concessions made by the APWU .
Southernclerk  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:02:50 AM(UTC)
Southernclerk

samac59 wrote:
The point I was trying to make is if they did nothing the CBA is automaticly extended anyway. It's lile they agreed that the sun will come up tomorrow. The perception is that they are doing something, but in reality they didn't do anything.
Maybe its just simply what Window Clerk stated . . .  they agreed to meet.

I don't see it as a "perception" that they are doing something.  I haven't a doubt that hard talks are going on.  And although the talks have not concluded, doesn't mean that "in reality they didn't do anything".   Which to me is a slam to even imply that.
Have you ever hammered out an agreement? got a divorce? ever buy a car? ever play poker?  ha, raise a child?  you don't go in and show your hand . . .  you negotiate.

They are closer to an agreement then they were last week,  the car price is coming down, that full house looks fuller as you up the anti, and the child? . . . well? you might get lucky and get a win-win out of the deal.
And as sure you and I both know the sun will come up tomorrow, I KNOW that the APWU negotiating team is doing their best for everyone.
SJCX  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 1:42:11 AM(UTC)
SJCX

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think the APWU may take any decent deal they can because they do not want this thing going to arbitration. 
samac59  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:40:42 AM(UTC)
samac59

Southernclerk wrote:
samac59 wrote:
The point I was trying to make is if they did nothing the CBA is automaticly extended anyway. It's like they agreed that the sun will come up tomorrow. The perception is that they are doing something, but in reality they didn't do anything.
Maybe its just simply what Window Clerk stated . . .  they agreed to meet.

I don't see it as a "perception" that they are doing something.  I haven't a doubt that hard talks are going on.  And although the talks have not concluded, doesn't mean that "in reality they didn't do anything".   Which to me is a slam to even imply that.
Have you ever hammered out an agreement? got a divorce? ever buy a car? ever play poker?  ha, raise a child?  you don't go in and show your hand . . .  you negotiate.

They are closer to an agreement then they were last week,  the car price is coming down, that full house looks fuller as you up the anti, and the child? . . . well? you might get lucky and get a win-win out of the deal.
And as sure you and I both know the sun will come up tomorrow, I KNOW that the APWU negotiating team is doing their best for everyone.
  I have no doubts that there is a lot of negotiating going on , but to make a big announcement that the contract  has been extended for 3 days  when in fact  if they did absolutely nothing the terms of the contract would be extended anyway. After these 3 day are up  the terms of the current contract stay in force until a new agreement is reached  through negotiation or binding arbitration. samac592010-11-21 14:26:02
Southernclerk  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:54:37 AM(UTC)
Southernclerk

I'd rather being informed of their short term plans then get no announcement.

Maybe we wouldn't be beating this dead horse about "current contract staying in force" if the title of the thread wasn't APWU Contract Extended.
How 'bout we re-title and call it, APWU and USPS agree to negotiate past contractural deadline?

Would that help?Wink
Window Clerk  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:01:17 AM(UTC)
Window Clerk

Southernclerk wrote:

Maybe we wouldn't be beating this dead horse about "current contract staying in force" if the title of the thread wasn't APWU Contract Extended.
How 'bout we re-title and call it, APWU and USPS agree to negotiate past contractural deadline?

Would that help?Wink

Good idea.Big smile

What are you gonna do though? Some people hone in on a technicality and lose focus on what's important. Right up there with the " grammar police ".

I fixed it.
Window Clerk2010-11-21 11:07:33
samac59  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:05:50 AM(UTC)
samac59

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry ChristmasTongue

dealmate  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:30:45 AM(UTC)
dealmate

I have a feeling they will come to a agreement. Why? Potter and the higher ups look really bad right now. They have no right cutting, when they raped the PO. Also, they want a new agreement before the new House 2011. ISSA is after the NAPS. They need to make themselves look good.
Get Real  
#16 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:08:56 AM(UTC)
Get Real

It has been my experience (And this is the 7th contract since I've worked here) that it is the union that tries hardest to get a negotiated agreement. But this time I'm not so sure about that. What strikes me is that, if the USPS wanted to go to arbitration, all they had to do is say that negotiations have ended. Personally, and it's just my opinion, I think management wants a few days to think about the consequences of going into arbitration. That's all. I'm NALC, and I have no illusions about what we also face. But personally, I think we'll get a short contract (2-3 years at most) and I would be happy with ..Year1- $2500 lump sum and full COLA, Year two- 1.5% and full COLA. Same for year 3 if it's there. I FEAR INFLATION and an erosion of what we've got more than anything else. The way the Fed is printing money, hyper-inflation (Caused by "Quantitative Easing") is a certainty. I don't even want to debate that. 
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking. <br />--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
Get Real  
#17 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:13:53 AM(UTC)
Get Real

[TUBE]PTUY16CkS-k&feature=player_embedded[/TUBE]

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking. <br />--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
Get Real  
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:25:57 AM(UTC)
Get Real

And THIS is from this morning's news: November 21, 2010

Bernanke's Folly

By Jack Kelly

He's a soft-spoken, mild-mannered academic who means well (I think). But he could be the most dangerous man in America.

He is Ben Bernanke, formerly of Princeton, now chairman of the
Federal Reserve Board, and he is making most of us poorer. The Fed has
the power to manipulate the money supply, which is a fearsome power for government to have.

"Government," said the economist Ludwig von Mises, "is the only
agency which can take a useful commodity like paper, slap some ink on it, and make it totally worthless."

Mr. Bernanke's plans for "quantitative easing" (creating money out of
thin air) won't make our dollars worthless. But it will make them worth
less -- up to 20 percent less, thinks Bill Gross, manager of the
world's largest mutual fund, if the Federal Reserve continues unconventional monetary easing.

When more dollars chase fewer goods, prices go up, especially for commodities we have to buy, such as food and gasoline.

By devaluing the dollar in relation to other currencies, supporters
of quantitative easing hope to make U.S. manufactured goods cheaper for
foreigners to buy. (One reason why we have such a huge trade deficit with China is because the Chinese keep their currency -- the renmimbi -- artificially low.)

But devaluation might spur a competitive race to the bottom that ends
badly, and jeopardizing the dollar's role as the world's reserve currency could have ominous consequences.

"Overseas -- as a consequence of a more expansive U.S. monetary
policy and other distortions in the international monetary system -- we
see an increasing tendency by policy makers to intervene in currency
markets, administer unilateral measures, institute ad hoc capital
controls and resort to protectionist policies," said Kevin Warsh, a member of the Fed's governing board, in a recent speech.

Supporters of quantitative easing also hope to create a "wealth
illusion" by keeping stock prices artificially high. (Colin Barr of
Fortune noted on Nov. 9 that stocks are trading around 21 times
cyclically adjusted earnings. The long run average is 16.) The theory is
that stockholders will think they're wealthier than they actually are, and spend more, thus boosting the economy.

"Increased spending will lead to higher income and profits that, in a
virtuous circle, will further support economic expansion," Mr. Bernanke said.

But cheap money creates stock market bubbles, like the housing bubble whose bursting is chiefly responsible for our economic troubles today.

Another problem, noted Richard Fisher, president of the Federal
Reserve Bank of Dallas, is that many investors take Mr. Bernanke's cheap
money and then "invest it abroad where taxes are lower and governments are more eager to please."

But the fundamental problem, says John Tamny, is "the wealth effect [that Mr. Bernanke] naively believes to exist is nonexistent."

"If shareholders exchange shares of increasing value for dollars in
order to consume, the seller's dollar bonanza is naturally matched by
the buyer's reduced cash position," said Mr. Tamny, editor of RealClear Markets. "These things even out, with no increase in consumption."

Even if there were such a thing as a wealth effect, it would benefit
chiefly the wealthy, because only they own enough stock to feel it. The
top 20 percent own 93 percent of America's wealth (stocks, bonds, real
estate), according to William Domhoff, author of "Wealth, Income and Power."

The destruction of purchasing power by quantitative easing will
clobber the 80 percent of Americans at the bottom of the pyramid.
Financial writer Charles Hugh Smith estimates it will cost American households $4.6 trillion.

Mr. Smith may exaggerate. But quantitative easing has never worked.
The Japanese tried it in the 1980s. Their economy is still mired in slow
growth. Mr. Bernanke tried it two years ago. Our economy is still so sickly he's trying it again.

Mr. Bernanke is trying to solve with a reckless monetary policy a
problem caused by feckless fiscal policy. Banks have money to lend.
Corporations have money to spend. But they aren't lending or spending
because of the uncertainty caused and the harm done by the Obama
administration's tax, spending and regulatory policies, which have
created one of the most hostile environments for business in our history.

Foreign leaders are as appalled by the policies of Mr. Obama and Mr.
Bernanke as the Chamber of Commerce is. "Obama's Economic View is
Rejected on the World Stage," headlined the story in The New York Times on the G-20 summit in Seoul.

LINK:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/11/21/bernankes_folly_108028.html

samac59  
#19 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:31:46 AM(UTC)
samac59

Window Clerk wrote:
Southernclerk wrote:

Would that help?Wink

Good idea.Big smile

What are you gonna do though? Some people hone in on a technicality and lose focus on what's important. Right up there with the " grammar police ".

I fixed it.
  I'm sorry that you consider the facts a technicality.
MaleMan  
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:13:56 PM(UTC)
MaleMan

Personally I am surprised at the number of posts that indicate they feel that the negotiations will produce a tentative agreement to be offered to the members for vote. I would be real surprised if this actually happens.

The reason I feel this way, well it can be best answered with a question:

How many times in the last twenty years has a contract with APWU been offered from the negotiation table as opposed to being hammered out by arbitration?

That is why I would be earnestly surprised.

<font color=RED><em> <center> Just Because You're Paranoid - Doesn't Mean They Aren't Out To Get You. </em> </center></font>
Rss Feed  Atom Feed