Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NCLSEA123  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:26:00 AM(UTC)
NCLSEA123

Groups: Registered

I currently work 20 hours a week for a federal agency in the STEP student program.  I was hoping to do an paid or unpaid internship with another federal agency a couple days in week in the Spring semester, and since all my classes are at night or online, I have a good deal of flexibility.  Are there any rules or restrictions on working for more than one federal agency at the same time?  Thanks 
Beagle  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:57:12 AM(UTC)
Beagle

Yeah there are rules for that stuff.  You should ask your HR.

I work 40 hours a week and can't just decide to work at McDonald on the weekends, I have to get permission.

Victorious1  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:25:09 AM(UTC)
Victorious1

You can't work two federal jobs at the same time!  It's prohibited!!  Furthermore, if you want to work your fed job, and a non-federal job, you have to get permission from your agency...there's paperwork you have to fill out first.  But that's only if you want to work one federal job and a non-federal job at the same time.
martyb  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:29:37 AM(UTC)
martyb

You don't have to get anybody's permission to work a non-fed part-time job in your off hours.  And...years ago I looked into working part-time for the IRS while I also had a full-time 40 hr week fed job with the Air Force.  The only reason I was given for not being able to do that was because I wasn't allowed to work more than 40 hrs per week for the feds (not counting if I worked any OT for my regular fed job).  The did not tell me there was a restriction on working more than one fed job, just that the total of my regular hours could not be more than 40 per week.  Now....that may not apply anymore, I don't know.  That was in the early '80's, in Austin, Texas.

Forum trolls to 0%
Identity-H  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:38:47 AM(UTC)
Identity-H

There do tend to be exceptions in this rule for USPS, but that's the only exception I know of.
phillyva  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:41:27 AM(UTC)
phillyva

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You have to get permission from your agency it's not prohibited but you have to get permission because it can be considered double dipping....They may not see a problem as long as both or part time or one is full time and the other is part time...phillyva2010-12-05 16:46:50
Beagle  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:55:38 AM(UTC)
Beagle

martyb wrote:

You don't have to get anybody's permission to work a non-fed part-time job in your off hours.  And...years ago I looked into working part-time for the IRS while I also had a full-time 40 hr week fed job with the Air Force.  The only reason I was given for not being able to do that was because I wasn't allowed to work more than 40 hrs per week for the feds (not counting if I worked any OT for my regular fed job).  The did not tell me there was a restriction on working more than one fed job, just that the total of my regular hours could not be more than 40 per week.  Now....that may not apply anymore, I don't know.  That was in the early '80's, in Austin, Texas.

Yes things has changed.  When I was in the Army (Joint Base) we needed approval. 

Beagle2010-12-05 17:09:23
Victorious1  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 9:56:52 AM(UTC)
Victorious1

The early 80's... I was in elementary school then, and lots of things have changed since then...cell phone are small and compact, the internet has been created, and the price of gas has increased significantly. 

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about, considering I had to fill out documentation when I wanted to work a PT job while working my FT federal job... and that was only 2 years ago, in the 21st centuryTongue
martyb  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:09:49 AM(UTC)
martyb

Victorious1 wrote:

The early 80's... I was in elementary school then, and lots of things have changed since then...cell phone are small and compact, the internet has been created, and the price of gas has increased significantly. 

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about, considering I had to fill out documentation when I wanted to work a PT job while working my FT federal job... and that was only 2 years ago, in the 21st centuryTongue

lol...ok, I'm not THAT old!  The issue about working more than one fed job is the only thing that I might be a little out of date about, but....as far as having to get permission to work a part-time job on your own time, that's bs your outfit is blowing up your skirt.  They cannot control what you do on your own time...unless you're doing something illegal like selling drugs.   You're being bs'd, trust me.  But, it's ok I suppose, as long as you're cool with it. I'm wondering what you'd do if they told you that "no, you cannot work 15 hours a week at Burger King down the street.  We forbid it".  There is absolutely no way that can be enforced.  Sounds like some real control freaks where you work! lol   To each their own though.....

And...you may have filled out a form to work a part-time job, but you didn't have to, they could not make you do so.  Why did you even bother to ask permission? They only own you when you're on their time.  Sheesh....these new young govt. workers just don't seek to have the backbone the older feds do.  Sometimes you have to push back a little to remind them they don't really own you.  You do have rights, you know?

By the way, I am still a working fed, and as a matter of fact, I just filled out an application for a part-time job a few days ago.  I'm gonna work a couple of days a week at Bass Pro Shops, and I didn't ask anybody's permission...and it's none of their freaking business!  lol   Let's see, if I recall correctly, over the 33+ years of my federal career so far, I've worked:

1. Sacking groceries at the commissary.
2. At a used car dealership.
3. Licensed Realtor.
4. Soon to be Bass Pro Shops flunky....lol!
martyb2010-12-05 18:27:10
Forum trolls to 0%
Victorious1  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:21:46 AM(UTC)
Victorious1

So I guess the other two people who said you also have to get permission are incorrect also?!  And furthermore, the question was "can you work two federal jobs are the same time."  And the answer to that question is "No".  I work for the feds, and wanted to work PT for the IRS.  I got the the IRS testing site, gave them my resume, and was told by the IRS HR rep, that I couldn't work 2 federal jobs at the same time.  So you're saying that information is correct?

Additionally, like I just said, the 2 other people on this forum asnwered the same way I did, that you CAN work a PT job while working a fed job, but you have to get permission from your agency first.  There was a GOVERNMENT DOCUMENT I had to fill out first before I could work one.  What part of that are you disputing as being the truth.  Why don't you go to the OPM website and look it up, since we're all wrong and you're right. 

martyb  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:26:46 AM(UTC)
martyb

My experience with trying to work for the IRS part-time was almost identical to yours...except that the answer I got had to do with the 40 hours total thing.  Plus..I said it was a long time ago so probably things were different.  I'm also not disputing your employer might want you to do some paperwork, but I'm saying they can't tell you no.  UNLESS you request to do something illegal or something that might bring negative publicity to the government.  Just don't lose your identity or the ability to control your own life, that's all I'm saying. You're on the clock 8 hrs a day, maybe more or less depending on your schedule, but the rest of your time is your own, unless you're on active duty military.
Forum trolls to 0%
martyb  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:31:31 AM(UTC)
martyb

Around 25 years or so ago, I do remember one of my supervisors mentioning something about filling out a form prior to taking on part-time employment, but in all of my lengthy career, I've known many people who worked other jobs and nobody ever asks permission or fills out the forms.  It's just not something that's done very much anymore.  It's a very old and seldom used management tool.  I'm just saying it's not common anymore.  Go in peace!
Forum trolls to 0%
NCLSEA123  
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 12:48:06 PM(UTC)
NCLSEA123

Well, I'm actually 20 hours a week, part-time with my federal agency, so with both of these jobs I wouldn't be going over 40 hours, especially if I don't get paid for the internship with the other agency.  Here's what I found on the USAJOBS site about it.  http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/dualemployment.asp  NCLSEA1232010-12-05 21:05:17
ldl5112  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 2:52:34 PM(UTC)
ldl5112

I don't know if it depends on the agency, but with DHS, you are absolutely required to get written permission before applying for outside employment and prove there is no conflict of interest.  I'm sure there are people who try to get around it, but I'd say it would be extremely hard to do so, as we have to have periodic background checks to maintain our clearances.  Like I said, I don't know if it varies from agency to agency, but I wouldn't be surprised if most, if not all, agencies require it.
spence  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 3:04:38 PM(UTC)
spence

First of all, to the original poster, I think your being a student worker, there might be different rules for you so it might be more possible for you to work two federal jobs.  Especially as you would be working less than 40 hours.  So check with your HR.

Secondly, in the IRS you definitely need to fill out a form and get permission if you have outside employment and are working another, private-sector job, regardless of what the job is.   martyb it seems like your agency is just really lax on this.

spence2010-12-05 23:10:29
phillyva  
#16 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:50:19 PM(UTC)
phillyva

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
martyb wrote:
Victorious1 wrote:

lol...ok, I'm not THAT old!  The issue about working more than one fed job is the only thing that I might be a little out of date about, but....as far as having to get permission to work a part-time job on your own time, that's bs your outfit is blowing up your skirt.  They cannot control what you do on your own time...unless you're doing something illegal like selling drugs.   You're being bs'd, trust me.  But, it's ok I suppose, as long as you're cool with it. I'm wondering what you'd do if they told you that "no, you cannot work 15 hours a week at Burger King down the street.  We forbid it".  There is absolutely no way that can be enforced.  Sounds like some real control freaks where you work! lol   To each their own though.....

And...you may have filled out a form to work a part-time job, but you didn't have to, they could not make you do so.  Why did you even bother to ask permission? They only own you when you're on their time.  Sheesh....these new young govt. workers just don't seek to have the backbone the older feds do.  Sometimes you have to push back a little to remind them they don't really own you.  You do have rights, you know?

By the way, I am still a working fed, and as a matter of fact, I just filled out an application for a part-time job a few days ago.  I'm gonna work a couple of days a week at Bass Pro Shops, and I didn't ask anybody's permission...and it's none of their freaking business!  lol   Let's see, if I recall correctly, over the 33+ years of my federal career so far, I've worked:

1. Sacking groceries at the commissary.
2. At a used car dealership.
3. Licensed Realtor.
4. Soon to be Bass Pro Shops flunky....lol!
If it's two federal jobs you have to get permission if it's not a federal job you don't
computerscott2  
#17 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:27:24 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

If you have a security clearance your agency will most likely want you to ask permission. I have been at several agencies where you had to ask permission to work it. They want to make sure that your extra work :
1: Does not interfere with your regular duties (e.g. going to pull another 8 hour shift somewhere else cuts into your rest/personal time. If taking that job meant you went from 8 hours sleep at night to 4 hours sleep at night, chances are your performance could suffer.)
2: Make sure there is no conflict of interest. Lets say you worked for the SEC at night and worked for a brokerage house during the day. There would be conflict of interest there.
3: For folks with clearances: Make sure you are not in financial trouble, and if you are they need to be aware of it.
4: Make sure that if you are on emergency recall (at either job) it will not affect your gov job. etc,etc.
With that being said I have also worked at agencies that didn't care what you did after hours, so each agency may very, but some do REQUIRE that you ask for permission.
Snork  
#18 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 9:27:55 PM(UTC)
Snork

Yes, computescott, getting "permission" and simply notifying management depends on your level of clearance.

It's prohibited for you to double dip and work 2 federal jobs, but that doesn't provent you from working for a contractor.
martyb  
#19 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 9:33:35 PM(UTC)
martyb

ldl5112 wrote:
I don't know if it depends on the agency, but with DHS, you are absolutely required to get written permission before applying for outside employment and prove there is no conflict of interest.  I'm sure there are people who try to get around it, but I'd say it would be extremely hard to do so, as we have to have periodic background checks to maintain our clearances.  Like I said, I don't know if it varies from agency to agency, but I wouldn't be surprised if most, if not all, agencies require it.

I held a Top Secret clearance from 1977 until this year, 2010, and had several part-time jobs, never requested permission from the govt. to do so, never had any issues related to my security clearance or otherwise.  All of my co-workers and supervisors were aware of my part-time jobs, I even helped some of  co-workers buy homes when I was a realtor.  I showed some homes to a 2nd line supervisor, but he was to cheap to buy...lol!  If he had, the seller would have paid my fee, so no conflict there.
martyb2010-12-06 05:40:52
Forum trolls to 0%
martyb  
#20 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 9:40:15 PM(UTC)
martyb

When you fill out that form, you are not "asking permission", you are informing your employer.  I have worked for DoD since 1981 as a civilian, after doing 4 1/2 yrs on active duty.  I didn't ask permission for any part-time jobs, including when I was on active duty.  If you participate in any activities that are illegal or give any appearance of being questionable, then yes...it can have negative consequences on your government employment, but that's the extent of it. 
Forum trolls to 0%
Rss Feed  Atom Feed