Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
compudyne  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:22:47 PM(UTC)
compudyne

Groups: Registered

What happens when there is a government shutdown?  Do we just stay at home, not get paid and wait for Congress to pass a budget?  
chrisosa  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:43:14 PM(UTC)
chrisosa

Yes, you stay home and no paid for the period of the shut down

nodog  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:01:37 PM(UTC)
nodog

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I can only recall this happening once in my 34 years. I believe it was during the Clinton Administration and we stayed at home for, I think,  two days. Once we returned we were payed admin leave for the two days.
Snork  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:25:36 PM(UTC)
Snork

compudyne wrote:
What happens when there is a government shutdown?  Do we just stay at home, not get paid and wait for Congress to pass a budget?  

If we're told ahead of time of the shutdown, then we stay home, if not, we won't know until we report to work Monday morning.  Bummer for those with a crazy commute time and traffic.

We'll more than likely be paid admin leave.
roaringtiger  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:43:19 PM(UTC)
roaringtiger

There won't be any shutdown now since Obama caved in on everything and then some.
compudyne  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:48:46 PM(UTC)
compudyne

Is admin leave the same pay rate as we would normally be paid?

I'm a new employee and Monday is supposed to be my first day.  Anyone know what happens in that situation?  I emailed my new boss but he is out on leave this week.
kg78  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:57:58 PM(UTC)
kg78

A government shut down is SERIOUSLY unlikely.  Congress just isn't going to want the egg on their face from something like that.  The taxpayers would be seriously pissed.

And yes, admin leave is the same payrate as your normal pay.  And while you could get admin leave after the fact in a government shutdown (and that IS the normal route that things take....I believe when DoT shut down last year or the year before, that the Secretary argued for and got backpay for his workers), it's not guaranteed.  Afterall, the reason the government shuts down is because it isn't funded.  If it isn't funded you don't get paid.  They only decide after the fact whether they're going to allocate funding to backpaying employees who weren't allowed to work during the shut down.  And sometimes that takes extra time (it could take a pay period or two for them to pass that bit of legislation mandating the backpay).

If it helps you to understand what admin leave is (in terms of both pay and a basic understanding of what it covers), it's basically just leave pay to cover special administrative situations (which includes the president declaring special holidays....such as occurs in DC during the inaugurations, and when on occasion, the president lets the workforce go home half a day early prior to the Christmas holiday, but it also includes things like snow closures, etc).

hart  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:34:30 AM(UTC)
hart

I too only remember being on furlough once.  We did report to work and were told to go home, I think it was a couple of days and we did get paid for those days.  I work for SSA so our office is not shut down unless there is a serious problem.  We hardly ever shut down unless we just can't get to work (such as snowstorm) and usually we get there and simply go home early.
The HalfBreed  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:42:57 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

In the last shutdown, we have folks (as others do) that are either:

1. Essential

2. NON-Essential

As an "Essential" employee, I was required to come to work regardless, and work without pay, all of our supervisors are deemed "NON Essential" and stayed home to bask in their sun.

When the budget was finally done, the "NON Essential" folks got paid, but, if I remember correctly, we were given the equivalent amount of time off, so it was a non issue.
They got 2 free days, and so did we.  Thumbs Up

I have to work this Sunday....so we'll see how it all plays out.

RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
cloudnine  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:50:29 AM(UTC)
cloudnine

I was going to say...some people have to come to work, no matter shut down or not.
Ruanne  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:16:19 AM(UTC)
Ruanne

Looks like another short term continuing resolution after all.
daves  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:45:33 AM(UTC)
daves

nodog wrote:
I can only recall this happening once in my 34 years. I believe it was during the Clinton Administration and we stayed at home for, I think,  two days. Once we returned we were payed admin leave for the two days.

During the clinton/gingrich hissy fit we were off for a week(?).  I signed up for unemployment and drew a check, along with almost every one of my coworkers.  IIRC, the line at the unemployment office was out the door and down the sidewalk, all federal employees. LOL

We eventually got back pay for the time off and were supposed to pay back the unemployment, but almost no one did.  It was a profitable lay-off.
The HalfBreed  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:19:15 PM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

daves wrote:
We eventually got back pay for the time off and were supposed to pay back the unemployment, but almost no one did.  It was a profitable lay-off.

Isn't that called "Cheating" the Federal Gov't ?  You're aware that it could be a crime, are you not?
Collecting Unemployment benefits for periods of time that you are paid ?!?!

No Wonder folks are down on Gov't Employees....folks like you, make us look bad....as do your comments.
daves  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 2:31:13 AM(UTC)
daves

The HalfBreed wrote:
...Isn't that called "Cheating" the Federal Gov't ?  You're aware that it could be a crime, are you not?
Collecting Unemployment benefits for periods of time that you are paid ?!?!...

No, it is not cheating the federal government.  At the time we were furloughed, we were told by HR it appeared we were NOT going to be paid.  We qualified for UIB under state law and were awarded benefits accordingly.  There is nothing illegal about that.

After we returned to work we learned we were being given back pay, and would be contacted by the state to repay the UIB.  Almost no one was contacted.  Only a few people got a repayment letter.  If anything, it is 'cheating' the state unemployment fund, not the fed government.  But it appears the state dropped the ball in not collecting the money, so it is an administrative overpayment by state error, not a crime.
The HalfBreed  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:07:09 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

daves wrote:
...... But it appears the state dropped the ball in not collecting the money, so it is an administrative overpayment by state error, not a crime.

So I guess it's OK even if you admit that the money should have been repaid....
It's NO different than if you were working while collecting unemployment benefits, which you were and did.

In most, if not all states, whether Federal, State or Local, it's WRONG.
YOU know it
I know it

SO, I guess if a mother getting welfare is overpaid by the same amount, and she KNOWS she should not be getting that money, if the Gov't does not come after her, it's LEGAL then, ehh?

Your Logic is amusing, if not outright sad.
Hey...but if you feel you're "Justified" in taking unemployment benefits while at the same time being paid.....I guess you'll have to take that issue up with whatever higher power you believe it.

Toss in a few "Hail Marys" and be done with it.
wundergov2b  
#16 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 2:24:19 AM(UTC)
wundergov2b

So there is a chance non-essential employees will still get paid during a shutdown?  (albeit weeks later)
kg78  
#17 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 3:27:50 AM(UTC)
kg78

There is a chance employees could get paid after the fact, and there is precedent for that.

That having been said, however, I wouldn't count on it.  It could happen but it's very possible it might not, given the wrangling and haggling over the budget and economy.

The HalfBreed  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 8:07:00 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

I would bet that NON Essential employees WILL get paid, and Essential employees will be given an equivalent amount of time off for free.
went2collegeforthis  
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:43:15 AM(UTC)
went2collegeforthis

I am not a gambler...especially with money (or my life)...

But I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that there is NO WAY that there is going to be a shutdown.

No way anyone is going to cut their throat...the impact (at least here at work) is unthinkable.

I might be willing to consider the possibility of a one or two day shutdown...but...er...no...I just can't imagine it!

(Yes...I know I'm setting myself up to eat crow...)

greatar4  
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:52:45 AM(UTC)
greatar4

I thinks some is going to be done in order to avoid something like that to happen. There is rumor going on about a possible government shutdown in case the president veto the GOP spending cut's bill. If that happens it may have some negative consequences.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed