Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WillyPete  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 3:19:50 AM(UTC)
WillyPete

Groups: Registered

I quit a job with the US Army Corps of Engineers in Sept 2009. A new supervisor marked me AWOL and LWOP on the last two hours of my last day and did not tell me. My father had just died and he gave me two weeks to deal with it. I returned in two weeks. After quitting I immediately returned to my fathers estate. When I returned home I had a letter of indebtedness from DFAS. I had no idea there was an issue with my last hours of work. I came in early that day and the time book was unavailable so I did not make changes. I filed an unemployment claim and proved I quit for good cause. I filed a waiver with DFAS as soon as I received the first letter. A few months ago they called to tell me they would refuse to waive the debt unless I admit the debt is valid. I refused to do that. The Colonel signed the waiver form recommending waiving the debt. I contacted EIG but they would not help me. Can I get my AWOL status changed at this point and can I do it in federal court? If I file in federal court what are the laws regarding AWOL status for civilians? Obviously this is a retaliatory action. My last performance appraisal with the previous supervisor was the highest marks possible.  
Knight  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 3:54:42 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
AWOL for civvies is not a big issue but it might impact your future job hunt. As you know AWOL means "away without leave" and when you say it out loud is is not as terrible. Besides, I believe that if they marked you down on LWOP then you cannot be AWOL for the same period since you are on "leave without pay."

Good luck.
martyb  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 4:06:09 AM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't know about the AWOL issue, but your supervisor cannot put you on LWOP unless you have requested that status.  LWOP is at the request of the employee, and granted by management. 
Forum trolls to 0%
Knight  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 10:47:54 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

I see there might be  time for LWOP without employee buy in but not what that situation is.
Quote:
Leave without pay (LWOP) is a temporary nonpay status and absence from duty that, in most cases, is granted at the employee's request.

I also see that
Quote:
Leave without pay (LWOP) is an approved temporary absence
and that
Quote:
Absence without official leave (AWOL) is a period of absence without pay for which the employee did not obtain approval or for which a request for leave is denied. AWOL is based on the supervisor's determination that no form of leave (annual, sick, LWOP, etc.) has been or should be approved for the absence based on existing evidence. AWOL can be converted to appropriate leave when a supervisor receives and is satisfied with documentation justifying the absence

I think you first get marked AWOL and then if you ask for LWOP and they grant it then it is LWOP. And finally,
Quote:
AWOL is not disciplinary in nature
But can lead to disciplinary action.
ezurick  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 8:38:38 PM(UTC)
ezurick

WillyPete wrote:
If I file in federal court what are the laws regarding AWOL status for civilians? Obviously this is a retaliatory action. My last performance appraisal with the previous supervisor was the highest marks possible.  

This is kinda a grey area for most...  and if it is retaliatory, not much you can do about it since you quit and no longer on the books.  However, I would suggest to call the Office of Special Council (OSC) and explain the situation and events.  It sounds like something they have jurisdiction over...

hjajck  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 11:46:29 PM(UTC)
hjajck

Both AWOL and LWOP are  leave codes marked when the timekeeper does payroll.  So, you were probably coded AWOL.  The answer is, yes it can be changed but they have to be willing to do it.  I don't know how since you aren't in the system any longer. 

Why did they only code you AWOL the last two hours?  Did you leave two hours early that day?

ETA:  They must have changed the code after you had already been paid, or you wouldn't have had a debt. 
hjajck2010-12-21 07:52:52
Knight  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:22:19 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

I forgot about that fact. If they had coded you with either one before the timecards were submitted you would have gotten a smaller check and no payback requirement. So they must have done a change after you were paid.
WillyPete  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:57:37 AM(UTC)
WillyPete

The timekeeper filled out form 4091-R on the 29th of September. I was not employed with the Army Corps by then. I came in early and did not change the time sheet on the 24th, my last day. I left the shop to say goodbye to coworkers. I had already turned in my key and could not get back in. It is my understanding from HR material that "supervisors are responsible for notifying employees of an AWOL charge and why it was imposed." He did not do this. If he had I would not be looking at filing a suit, Pro Se, in federal court. I can't bring myself to admit the debt is valid because it isn't. If it isn't illegal to mark someone AWOL without their knowledge it should be. Leaving early or not leaving early is no longer the issue.
edalder  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:56:44 AM(UTC)
edalder

It likely will cost you thousands of dollars to bring a lawsuit into Federal court.

If this was only two hours of AWOL, I would move on.

Also, I have difficulty believing that two hours of pay is that much money. Again, pay it and move on. Life is too short to get caught up in all of this stuff.

Kivi
BBQdog  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:38:05 AM(UTC)
BBQdog

edalder wrote:
It likely will cost you thousands of dollars to bring a lawsuit into Federal court.

If this was only two hours of AWOL, I would move on.

Also, I have difficulty believing that two hours of pay is that much money. Again, pay it and move on. Life is too short to get caught up in all of this stuff.

I'd have to agree.
Knight  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:53:01 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

I started out feeling for you but am now going to turn to the other side. Actually marking someone AWOL is a valid action. If you don't show for work and don't call in what would I mark you, unknown, not sure? AWOL is the right answer. Your duty day has to be accounted for, accurately, and if you are not working and have not agreed to LWOP then what is left when I have no idea where you are? AWOL.

By the time you were marked as AWOL you were by your own decision no longer an employee. You claim to have come in early but who can verify that? I had troops claim to work late after I left for the day but when I started coming back to check on them they had left 5 minutes after I did. So I can see where the old supervisor was not sure about your early arrival.

You are angry and want to sue but that will net you nothing. What is 2 hours pay ? 100 bucks or less. The last person we fired and declared AWOL took 2 years to get a decision in court.
ezurick  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:52:36 PM(UTC)
ezurick

WillyPete wrote:
The timekeeper filled out form 4091-R on the 29th of September. I was not employed with the Army Corps by then. I came in early and did not change the time sheet on the 24th, my last day. I left the shop to say goodbye to coworkers. I had already turned in my key and could not get back in. It is my understanding from HR material that "supervisors are responsible for notifying employees of an AWOL charge and why it was imposed." He did not do this. If he had I would not be looking at filing a suit, Pro Se, in federal court. I can't bring myself to admit the debt is valid because it isn't. If it isn't illegal to mark someone AWOL without their knowledge it should be. Leaving early or not leaving early is no longer the issue.

I also think you're wasting your time, money and effort to fight this.  Besides, when you get to court, this whole thing will be wrapped around those 2 hours (which you claim you came in early).  That will be hard to prove, unless the supervisor agrees.  Besides, the supervisor will simply say you were NOT authorized to come in early and no agreement was made.  So WillyPete, agree that it is VALID and allow them to write it off and move on...
ezurick2010-12-22 04:57:58
Rss Feed  Atom Feed