Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Juliska  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 05, 2011 11:30:06 PM(UTC)
Juliska

Groups: Registered

I admit I am asking this on the fly and on my iPhone, so forgive me for bad grammar/spelling.

I was excessed last April to another office. I was a city carrier and stayed a city carrier. Two clerks from my same office were excesed to the carrier craft into the same office to which I was excessed.

I think I received my letter before they did, but they did start one PP before I did at the new office.

Today the sup came around with a list that shows everyone's seniority date. The two excessed clerks and I all have the same seniority date. One, I thought that I got to keep my seniority from my old office since I was forced out. I know I would not be above anyone in the gaining office, since obviously I was a junior carrier and not have enough time to be ahead of someone else. But I thought I heard that if I had enough time I could have been put above someone at the new office with less time than me.

Maybe apples and oranges, but in my old office we had a clerk excessed into the clerk craft and she was put almost to the top of the list. So people that were there longer at that office got excessed before she did.

Anyway, if I do not get to keep my seniority from my old office, it would seem that the two clerks that started before me would be above me and I would still be at the bottom of my new office. And that does not explain why we all three show the same seniority date.

I am still on the fence about retreating back to my old office ( decision time will be very soon ) and if I am still at the bottom of this office I may as well go back to my old office and be at the bottom there.

Thanks!
dhacker56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:24:02 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Were they excessed?  If they started before you then they would be above you.  If your seniority dates are the same then you would be above them since you were excessed within your craft, assuming you were all regulars.  JMO

Juliska  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:57:26 AM(UTC)
Juliska

Yes. We were all excessed and are all regular and all junior in our crafts. I was excessed from carrier to carrier, them from clerk to carrier. They did start here one PP before I did, but we all show as having the same seniority date.

Also, is the clerk craft different as I mentioned the lady being excessed from clerk to clerk, but she kept her seniority and got inserted in the seniority list to near the top. The carrier craft does not do the same thing?

My current office shows me as third from the bottom and the clerks #2 & #1 at the bottom. I just don't want something to come around later and it makes me go to the bottom of the list.

The bottom clerk went regular after I went regular as a carrier. The second from the bottom clerk had been regular for a few years before I became regular. They were excessed over two weeks before me, but we all show the same seniority date at the new office. That is what is confusing me, plus I thought you kept your seniority when you are excessed out, like the clerk did as explained above.
dhacker56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:04:15 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Where are you with regards the carriers in the office?  It would appear that they have correctly slotted you with regards the clerks that were excessed.  Are there any PTF's above you on the seniority list?
Juliska  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:12:53 AM(UTC)
Juliska

I apologize for all the questions. If they had not brought that form around about the seniority dates, I wouldn't have had a second's thought about it.

Technically, since I am regular I am above the PTFs, but my seniority date show 4/10/2010. Of course the PTFs have been there longer so their dates are when they got hired in at that office. The top PTF has about one year more total time than me. But I made regular while he didn't.
Juliska  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:25:10 AM(UTC)
Juliska

Ps. I asked what the form was about and was told they are trying to get an online database updated for people being excessed. Just repeating was I was told by the sup.
dhacker56  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 2:39:32 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Juliska-  the way it was explained to me is this:

For Carriers excessed to another office.  They are junior regular.  But for vacation selection the PTF has MORE office seniority.
After the PTF's are converted to regular(if ever) they will then also have bidding rights over you.
So basically all your regular status has gained you is that you are still regular.
However, I have never seen it done in real life.  So, let us all know.

Juliska  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:23:01 AM(UTC)
Juliska

Sure thing. There is usually a lot of help/knowledge here, hence, my asking here. Union steward is looking for me, also.

Thanks for the replies and let ya know what I find out.
DoItTheRightWay  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:50:23 AM(UTC)
DoItTheRightWay

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

12.3.G An employee from another Postal Service craft who is transferred, either

voluntarily or involuntarily, to the letter carrier craft will begin a new

period of seniority—except when the assignment qualifies under the

provisions of Article 13.6.A., pertaining to cross-craft reassignments of

employees for the purpose of assuming light-duty assignments.

5.FederalSoup.com assumes no liability for the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on this Web site. The information is not checked, verified, or edited, and is used at your own risk.
airborneallen  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:52:19 AM(UTC)
airborneallen

So a FTR Letter Carrier that was involuntarily excessed from Letter Carrier in one bid cluster to Letter Carrier in another bid cluster does not get to keep any seniority at all? Shouldn't they (Carrier Only) be able to keep their seniority or at least be 1 day less than the Jr. FTR witchever is less within the new bid cluster?
Juliska  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:07:45 AM(UTC)
Juliska

airborneallen wrote:
So a FTR Letter Carrier that was involuntarily excessed from Letter Carrier in one bid cluster to Letter Carrier in another bid cluster does not get to keep any seniority at all? Shouldn't they (Carrier Only) be able to keep their seniority or at least be 1 day less than the Jr. FTR witchever is less within the new bid cluster?

Thanks DoItTheRightWay, that helps answer about the clerks that switched over to carriers.

I am the carrier that stayed a carrier, but involuntarily sent to another office. They have my new seniority date the same as the two clerks.  What airborneallen sounds familiar, but with this excessing stuff, no-one on the union side seems to know much about this and can give me a definite answer on where I should really be on the seniority list.

Gonna get back with my union girl tomorrow to see if she came up with anything.
samac59  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:27:39 AM(UTC)
samac59

JCAM Subsection 11.2. Excessing to the Letter Carrier

Craft in Other Installations

12.5.C.5.b b. Reassignments to other installations after making reassignments

within the installation:

(1) Involuntarily reassign such excess full-time employees starting

with the junior with their seniority for duty assignments to

vacancies in the same or lower level in the same craft or occupational

group in installations within 100 miles of the losing

installation, or in more distant installations if after consultation

with the affected Union it is determined that it is necessary, the