Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NSPS - National Security Personnel System

NSPS is the Department of Defense's (DoD) flexible and responsive civilian management system that: (1) values performance and contribution, (2) encourages communication, (3) supports broader skill development, and (4) promotes excellence in the workplace

NSPS modernizes a 50-year-old civil service system, allowing DoD to better attract, recruit, retain, compensate, reward and manage employees. The system focuses on people, performance, and employment decisions that are cost-effective and best for business practice.

(source: Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service)

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
marcb  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:59:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I was transitioned from NSPS to GS in July 2010, and just received my first rating as a GS employee again.

I heard there is some rule floating around in which us folks converted back to GS were only able for a 1% performance award, and there was no mention of a QSI. I am aslo being told we cannot get a QSI this go around; any of this make sense?

Thank you
Best Regards,.......Marc
SharonL  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:53:51 AM(UTC)

We were told NO performance awards this time around!
NavyQueen23  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:44:27 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
marcb, you are correct. DoD placed a ceiling of 1% for all employees transitioning back to the GS pay system. Our command adhered to these rules but no one received a QSI. Still have to meet req't to receive the QSI.
marcb  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 09, 2011 3:12:39 AM(UTC)

Why were we held to 1% while other GS employees received higher raises? Our rating period was full 12 months
Best Regards,.......Marc
MS TOO  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:39:27 AM(UTC)

QSIs are exempt from the freeze, thus they are allowed.  From what I understand though, you must have maxed out your performance rating to be able to receive one and that may be the toughest part to meet.  See Exclusions from pay freeze on page 6 of this OPM letter.

NavyQueen23  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 1:00:18 AM(UTC)

marcb, we were capped bc a lot of us received an increase upon transition. Some $1 some $10000. I received about a $5000 increase and my bonus was $630. I'm a GS-11 step 1.
Rich Nocis  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 8:42:50 AM(UTC)
drlove

I put up an employee fro a QSI and he got . A really strong package and a deserving teamplayer, however I understand that there was only 1 on my base.
Forrest Carver  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:45:47 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
DrLove, what were the details here? You sponsored an employee for a QSI, and he got it? But he was the only one on the whole base?

Interesting
RetirednHappy  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2011 5:19:24 AM(UTC)

Quality Step Increases (QSIs) should not be viewed as a normal performance recognition, as some assume. As mentioned in above entry, significant justification, special performance effort, and expected continued performance all go into the very rare QSI consideration. If they were handed out like candy, they would lose their significance and be nothing more than an extension of normal step increases (which they definitely are NOT). QSIs must be reserved for the rare, exceptional employee performance.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed