Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tired  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 9:27:11 AM(UTC)
tired

Groups: Registered

I read in the memorandum of understanding that a TE will be hired to a 360 day appointment followed by a five day break. I've noticed in my office they haven't been giving five day breaks. Can this be grieved? If you work more than a year is it a back door into a regular position? The steward in my office is pretty terrible to TEs so I don't even want to ask Thanks
DoItTheRightWay  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 4:47:19 PM(UTC)
DoItTheRightWay

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

No "back door" but there are issues that come along as far as leave and health benefits. If your not comfortable with your steward, contact your president. If not your president, your NBA.

5.FederalSoup.com assumes no liability for the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on this Web site. The information is not checked, verified, or edited, and is used at your own risk.
Honest Response  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 9:46:35 PM(UTC)
Honest Response

With Article 12 implemented conversion will not be occurring.  There are numerous PTF's who are stilling waiting to be converted and Art 12 prevents this.
retiring20soon  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 10:12:26 PM(UTC)
retiring20soon

An honest response here is that management does whatever they want. The do not give a flip about contracts, FLSA or TE employees. It is all about upper managements greed on how much they can steal in a crooked retirement packages proven by Potters 5.5 million dollar get away. Potter proved he is just as crooked as Jaffer, Lane, Bernstock, Lazaroff and the thousand of upper management greedy crooks. Things will never change in crooked management world of the USPS.
Honest Response  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 10:21:43 PM(UTC)
Honest Response

Wow, I thought we were discussing conversions.  You sound really bitter.....
Juliska  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 11:32:14 PM(UTC)
Juliska

retiring20soon wrote:
An honest response here is that management does whatever they want. The do not give a flip about contracts, FLSA or TE employees. It is all about upper managements greed on how much they can steal in a crooked retirement packages proven by Potters 5.5 million dollar get away. Potter proved he is just as crooked as Jaffer, Lane, Bernstock, Lazaroff and the thousand of upper management greedy crooks. Things will never change in crooked management world of the USPS.

Not bitter, but if so, would have a right to be.

Management IS going to do whatever they want.  It is up to you, the steward, or whoever to challange them when you believe something is wrong.

When I first started here, I could not understand the attitude of some of the employees.  After a few years, I can see why they are that way and I understand why, too.
retiring20soon  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 12:26:00 AM(UTC)
retiring20soon

Honest Response wrote:
Wow, I thought we were discussing conversions.  You sound really bitter.....

I despise stealing from a company that I worked for for 30 years. It is so important for management to lead by example and that was not the case. If you use the Gambino Crime family as an example then Potter did work his butt off and his VP's protect the crime boss.

Back to the conversions for TE's. This new contract will lead the way for an massive influx of temp employees so it is important to cover this topic for all the TE's. Sorry about being bitter.

retiring20soon2011-01-08 08:31:28
Honest Response  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:29:47 AM(UTC)
Honest Response

No worries on the bitter part.  We are all subject to it at one time or another.  And while it is important to cover the topic, I believe the concern should be for the PTF employees who after many years of service may not have the opportunity to be converted.  And we have a TE who believes there is an easy way for them to converted.   As for the temporary workforce, it appears that the service may-be headed that way and its a sign of the changing times.....
Finally, I do not begrudge Potter because of what was offered to him in the form of incentives and bonuses.  It was the Postal BOG that established the rules........   
merrymerry6  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:17:12 AM(UTC)
merrymerry6

TEs have no chance---absolutely NO chance---of becoming regular employees unless their test scores are very high and therefore their names are at the top of the hiring register. That said, there is very little chance that any hiring register is going to be used any time soon because USPS is laying off regular employees (they call it excessing), NOT HIRING THEM.

The conversion myth is just a myth. As a TE, you have no more chance of getting a regular PO job than anyone off the street who has taken the postal exam. PERIOD.

Don't hang around waiting for "conversion." THERE IS NO SUCH THING.

Honest Response  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:26:17 AM(UTC)
Honest Response

Excessing is not laying off.  Employees are provided with options whether they choose to accept them or not.  And as far as TE's becoming regular employees, it could occur after the PTF's have been converted if the dust should ever clear........ 
boober  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 8:49:46 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
There might be a glimmer of hope in a TE getting hired into a career position based off of what the next NALC contract has in store for us all. No telling how it might help or hurt a TE untill it goes into affect. Our current 1 expires this November. It could take quite some time till we have a new 1 after that. Might take up to a year.
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
Honest Response  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 10:43:20 AM(UTC)
Honest Response

Well, it could be longer than a year.  The NRLCA contract negoitations was impassed and it looks as if the APWU is heading the same way.  
boober  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 10:45:39 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I meant take up to a year till we have a new contract after the old 1 had expired. Not a year from now.
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
Honest Response  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 12:31:56 PM(UTC)
Honest Response

Traditionally, you would be correct.  But my response was geared towards an anticipated impasse and the time that would include arbitration.
KingJaffe  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 5:23:54 PM(UTC)
KingJaffe

if your a te carrier,you might have the best chance of becoming a career employee...
CCA but not 4 long..lol
krb1350  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:52:44 AM(UTC)
krb1350

lol!
alpine2g  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 09, 2011 12:04:11 PM(UTC)
alpine2g

If they fail to give you a 5 day break, you shall become a something other than a PTF.  I heard first hand from my district union rep in one of my union meetings. It does happen, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. LOL Keep letting the regular slugs telling you otherwise,  they are scared we are gonna take their position  away from them. 
alpine2g2011-01-09 20:12:13
5 year T.E. retired a CCA 8/20/2013.
krb1350  
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:01:37 PM(UTC)
krb1350

alpine,

You and your so called rep are completly INSANE if you think you will become anything more than a TE if not given a 5 day break. You are not a career employee. If you are given a 3 day break, you will not become a ptf or regular. If you think I'm wrong point to the article in the CBA that supports your claim. Read the contract pertaining to TE's. You are hired while the USPS is going through a transitional phase. You are not even a temporary employee. While you may think my words are harsh. I'm tired of the TE's being led to believe in some miracle conversion to career status. We have employees by the CBA who are supposed to make regular and they can't get converted and it's contractual. It will go through the grievance procedure. My point is, why do you think a non career employee will become career, when we don't even convert when contractually obligated. Think about it and tell that to your misinformed clueless rep. Before anyone asks. The bids were never withheld.
alpine2g  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 8:52:12 AM(UTC)
alpine2g

krb1350 wrote:
alpine,

You and your so called rep are completly INSANE if you think you will become anything more than a TE if not given a 5 day break. You are not a career employee. If you are given a 3 day break, you will not become a ptf or regular. If you think I'm wrong point to the article in the CBA that supports your claim. Read the contract pertaining to TE's. You are hired while the USPS is going through a transitional phase. You are not even a temporary employee. While you may think my words are harsh. I'm tired of the TE's being led to believe in some miracle conversion to career status. We have employees by the CBA who are supposed to make regular and they can't get converted and it's contractual. It will go through the grievance procedure. My point is, why do you think a non career employee will become career, when we don't even convert when contractually obligated. Think about it and tell that to your misinformed clueless rep. Before anyone asks. The bids were never withheld.

Let me clarify for you,

If you even noticed, prior to the last MOU there is two types of TE's.   MOU and NON-MOU.  And yes, if you work more than a year you do have the chance pending taking the exam and getting hired to become PTF and get better benefits than what we TE's can get now. 

People are so mis informed about the whole TE thing, if you have been with the P.O. long enough you'll remember what happened back in the early 90's when they allowed the option to be given the test to fill open routes.  The thing is, the union really pushed for it then just as I'm holding hope it happens again.  Do not get me wrong, it's an automatic conversion as we will be given the test and hired accordingly just as what took place in the past. 

You can call me names or whatever, but remember this. Some of the best carriers started out not only as casuals but TE's as well.  And Casuals are not career either, and the P.O. phased out casuals on the carrier side because of the time limitations set forth by the union. I've talked to many people to get an idea on what my future may be like, and going by not only what my MGMT, union leaders, local leader and the district leader has discussed with me and I formed my own opinion and going off of that.
alpine2g2011-01-10 17:00:09
5 year T.E. retired a CCA 8/20/2013.
Rosey  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 9:35:14 AM(UTC)
Rosey

Alpine,

You are missing one important element. The USPS is not now, or in the near future, hiring new career employees. There are still thousands of excessed or soon to be excessed clerks and mailhandlers, probably even EAS, that are now or, in the near future looking for jobs. The USPS will not terminate current career employees only to turn around and hire new ones. Recall rights come with a RIF so if, after the dust settles and it is determined that too many career employees left, some will return.

I have worked with many good TE's over the last few years and they have been an asset to the Postal Service. Unfortunately, the contractual obligations currently in place and the poor economy will determine their future employment.

rosey

Rss Feed  Atom Feed