Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
admin  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 09, 2011 11:05:46 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
President Obama signed an executive order late last month abolishing the Federal Career Intern Program, which has been criticized by federal labor unions as unfair and damaging to the government’s longstanding merit-based hiring system.

Under the Dec. 27 executive order, current FCIP hires would be converted to the competitive service without loss of pay or benefits. At the same time, the order establishes three “Pathways” programs to entice recent college graduates to consider federal civil service.

A new Internship Program would provide students in high schools, colleges, trade schools and career/technical education programs with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore federal careers while still in school. It would replace the existing Student Career Experience Program.

>>> DISCUSSION: Tell FederalSoup.com what you think. Post your reply to this message.

Note: The full text of this story appeared in Federal Employees News Digest, 1/10/11 issue. Subscription information at http://www.FederalDaily.com/N002.html
Newgrad  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 6:51:20 AM(UTC)
Newgrad

Groups: Registered

It's a real shame that FCIP is ending because it was one of the few federal hiring programs that looked to hire applicants based on talent and qualifications instead of just letting vets monopolize federal hiring. Vets dominate federal hiring because of vet preference. I just hope that the new Pathways program will look to hire people based on qualifications instead of just being based on preference points.
I'm here to set the record straight, tell the truth about federal hiring, and to expose things for what they really are. -Newgrad
Newgrad  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 6:54:14 AM(UTC)
Newgrad

By the way Federal Soup, it's interesting you bring this discussion topic up considering one of your own forum members has already threatened a lawsuit against the new Pathways program. This is the same individual who ended FCIP and the Outstanding Scholar Program. Let's see if they can go 3 for 3.

I'm here to set the record straight, tell the truth about federal hiring, and to expose things for what they really are. -Newgrad
spence  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 7:15:47 AM(UTC)
spence

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

This was an excellent decision.  The original intent of FCIP was never to have a parallel track hiring process crowding out the normal, open, competitive hiring process for new hires.  It was supposed to be limited, but it just kept expanding and expanding.  FCIP jobs replaced many entry level jobs and were often not advertised, contributing to the feeling that it was "impossible" to get a federal job from the few crumbs of federal jobs left outside FCIP.

The new Pathways is a far more limited, narrowly and appropriately focused program devoted to giving a pathway to new college grads.  It will not be allowed to replace all entry-level hires in particular job series.  It keeps the positive of FCIP -- giving new college grads a chance at  being hired by the feds, not subject to a scoring system that is often too focused on work experience and thus often does not score college grads highly enough -- without the negatives of FCIP.
spence2011-01-10 15:26:33
JayhawkFan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:58:25 AM(UTC)
JayhawkFan

FCIP was a joke. Agencies like CBP decided to abuse it and only hire using it. 
aftester  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:52:57 PM(UTC)
aftester

JayhawkFan wrote:
FCIP was a joke. Agencies like CBP decided to abuse it and only hire using it. 

Not true... they hire the regular way too. This is what I got from them (I will leave out privacy act stuff -- I didn't get the job though I am a 10-point Disabled Vet AND an Intern at my current agency, not CBP... I scored 92 plus 10 vet points = 102):

Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010

Dear Applicant,

You were rated eligible for the GS-13 position, with a score of 102. At
this time your locations have not made a list. We do not know how far
you will be on the list. Thank you for your inquiry.

Customer Response Interactive Services (CRIS) Team

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Indianapolis Hiring Center- HRM

Phone-317-715-3000

Toll Free 1-877-290-1810

ct
Rss Feed  Atom Feed