Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

8 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Aaron II  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:24:19 AM(UTC)
Aaron II

Groups: Registered

Are there any Dulles (IAD) and/or Reagan (DCA) TSO applicants or current TSO's on this forum?
vermonter16  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:37:14 AM(UTC)
vermonter16

I'm a current TSO applicant for IAD.  I put in a year ago and right away was accepted to test but never did it.  They've been calling on and off for quite some time now.  The last two weeks I've gotten emails and phone calls so I finally decided to go test just yesterday.  Passed the test.  Now I have to wait for background and then the airport assessment.
vermonter16  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 8:01:26 AM(UTC)
vermonter16

Anybody else out there?  Anybody???
Aaron II  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 9:01:41 AM(UTC)
Aaron II

vermonter16 wrote:
Anybody else out there?  Anybody???
Hi vermonter16 ~

I started this thread and it's had little, if any activity.  I've addressed you on the other thread "Has anybody gone for the AA?  As I'd mentioned there, IAD was my primary and I went for my AA there, but was hired by DCA Reagan.  Is there anything specific that I can help you with?  FYI, I've turned off the "auto-notify" feature for the other thread, but not for this one or PMs.  You can reach me through either of the two.
~ Aaron II
Outback81  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 11:50:20 PM(UTC)
Outback81

I am also a TSO canidate at DCA and IAD.  I am currently in the ready pool.  Is there any way to find out when calls are going out?  or when a Class is going through for these 2 airports?!  any info would be greatly appriciated.
vermonter16  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:02:10 AM(UTC)
vermonter16

Hey Outback81 - I don't have the answer to your question but I am going for the AA this Thursday....maybe I can put a feeler out for you on this?  How long have you been in the read pool?  Where did you go for your AA?  What was the interview like?
Aaron II  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:40:37 AM(UTC)
Aaron II

Outback81 wrote:
I am also a TSO canidate at DCA and IAD.  I am currently in the ready pool.  Is there any way to find out when calls are going out?  or when a Class is going through for these 2 airports?!  any info would be greatly appriciated.
Hi Outback81 ~
They are currently in a hiring frenzy at DCA.  I was in their February/March class and they are just finishing an April class with three more yet to come.  However, they are trying make one or two of them "all female".  When did you enter the RP and are you male or female?  . . . Big difference.
~ Aaron II
vermonter16  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:14:48 PM(UTC)
vermonter16

Hey - I have my AA tomorrow at IAD.  Would this be a time to talk to the folks about my current full time job and potential job schedule?  I just don't want to all of a sudden get into TSA and then it conflicts with my regular job.  Also - I wasn't anticipating flying through all of this so fast (I am female)....there is no way I can just take off from my full time job for 2 weeks without ample notice (at least a month).  I don't want to ruin my chances...but I also want them to be aware that it's not like I don't have a job and this is my only one....  What do you think?
Aaron II  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:05:22 AM(UTC)
Aaron II

vermonter16 wrote:
Hey - I have my AA tomorrow at IAD.  Would this be a time to talk to the folks about my current full time job and potential job schedule?  I just don't want to all of a sudden get into TSA and then it conflicts with my regular job.  Also - I wasn't anticipating flying through all of this so fast (I am female)....there is no way I can just take off from my full time job for 2 weeks without ample notice (at least a month).  I don't want to ruin my chances...but I also want them to be aware that it's not like I don't have a job and this is my only one....  What do you think?
vermonter16 ~
Best of luck tomorrow.  Once your are in the RP, they will phone you with a 3-6 week warning before classes (could be a 3 week class) start, plus you can tell them you will not be available until their next class.  So not the big problem for you. 
The real problem is that the TSA requires all TSOs (F/T and P/T) to work five consecutive days per week (3.5 to 8.5 hours each) and to treat the TSA as their "primary" employer when it comes to juggling it with other jobs.  That may kill it for you unless they will give you a very early or late shift.  I would suggest that you pass the interview portion BEFORE complicating everything with them with this question.  You will have ample time after completing the AA to make your problems, their problems.  Just my opinion.
~ Aaron 
vermonter16  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:38:56 AM(UTC)
vermonter16

Thanks Aaron II.  I can probably swing the five days per week if needed....that's ok.  What I'm worried about is having them as my 'primary' employer...  My husband hates the fact that I won't be home most of the time....but he had a heart attack and quad bypass and may not ever return to work full time.  Hence, taking the opportunity with TSA.  Thanks again.  I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!  I appreciate the good thoughts and words of wisdom!
Aaron II  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 2:15:10 AM(UTC)
Aaron II

vermonter16 wrote:
Thanks Aaron II.  I can probably swing the five days per week if needed....that's ok.  What I'm worried about is having them as my 'primary' employer...  My husband hates the fact that I won't be home most of the time....but he had a heart attack and quad bypass and may not ever return to work full time.  Hence, taking the opportunity with TSA.  Thanks again.  I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!  I appreciate the good thoughts and words of wisdom!
So how did you make out?  Did you meet my "buddy" Ingrid?
vermonter16  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 3:31:57 AM(UTC)
vermonter16

Thanks Aaron II - I passed!  Ingrid is your buddy?  You mean the lady in HR?  Really?
Aaron II  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2011 3:55:08 AM(UTC)
Aaron II

vermonter16 wrote:
Thanks Aaron II - I passed!  Ingrid is your buddy?  You mean the lady in HR?  Really?

Congrats!  Not exactly . . . I did use quotes.  Last August, I met her at a DC Expo Center Jobs Faire and played "20 Questions" with her.  Were it not for her insight, I'd still be waiting for my AA at DCA.  In a round-about-way, she advised me to switch Primaries from DCA to IAD.  Once I did that, my process accelerated me into the RP by December (including a loss of 7 weeks for a Medical Hold due to hearing). 

Crazy thing about it was that it was DCA that called me first and offered me the position.  From start to finish . . . 7 months from application to offer . . . another month to EOD (entry on duty) . . . then three weeks of classroom training . . . and another six weeks of mentored OJT to earn my certification . . . total time . . . one week short of 10 months! 

Coincidentally, I passed all of my Certification exams today and went from a lowly OJT Trainee to a Fully Certified Officer.  I'm celebrating at the moment with a bottle of champagne! Thumbs Up

Aaron II2011-04-29 12:11:16
MysteriousJ  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2011 10:14:27 AM(UTC)
MysteriousJ

I've applied to Reagan, I am currently still waiting for my background check to be complete, for those who are already in the ready pool how long did your background check take?
nlamberth  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:39:11 PM(UTC)
nlamberth

i am a candidate for tso at regan airport. i applied on april 22 2011 and did the computer test  and the credit check all within a week. i filled out and sent in the sf86 forms on april 29 2011 now there is a star on invited to airport from anyones experience how long does it take to get the actual interview date
vermonter16  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:42:33 PM(UTC)
vermonter16

I applied for IAD and just completed my AA last week....very similar timeframe to your timeframe.  I did the CBT on April 9 and had my AA on April 22.  I have medical scheduled for Monday.  Things could have run just a bit faster but I have been trying to delay the time a little bit.
Aaron II  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:55:42 AM(UTC)
Aaron II

MysteriousJ wrote:
I've applied to Reagan, I am currently still waiting for my background check to be complete, for those who are already in the ready pool how long did your background check take?

Although I'm a male, Dulles ordered my BC on a "priority basis" and it was finished in 12 days.  If they order it on a "standard basis, it can take from 7 weeks to 4 months.  Right now, with DCA, it depends upon if your male or female.  We're "dying" for females here.  Our next two classes will be almost all female.

Aaron II2011-05-05 17:28:57
Aaron II  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:59:17 AM(UTC)
Aaron II

nlamberth wrote:
i am a candidate for tso at regan airport. i applied on april 22 2011 and did the computer test  and the credit check all within a week. i filled out and sent in the sf86 forms on april 29 2011 now there is a star on invited to airport from anyones experience how long does it take to get the actual interview date

Read my previous answer regarding females.  If you're a male, expect a wait anywhere from two to six months.  If you're a female, it will likely be much faster.

nlamberth  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:28:51 AM(UTC)
nlamberth

yes i am female  hopefully i will hear something soon i am so ready for a career change
Aaron II  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:27:50 AM(UTC)
Aaron II

nlamberth wrote:
yes i am female  hopefully i will hear something soon i am so ready for a career change

Excellent!  Please feel free to keep me posted as you progesss through the process with DCA.  Hopefully, you'll join me one day on the Checkpoint at Reagan Airport. Thumbs Up

Aaron II2011-05-06 13:48:17
Rss Feed  Atom Feed