Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
katedc  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 3:16:25 AM(UTC)
katedc

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I have one year+ (22 semester hours) of graduate coursework in my field but did not complete my master's degree and do not expect to. Most of the federal jobs I want to apply for list one year of graduate work as a qualification, but the usajobs resume builder doesn't offer an option for "Some Graduate Coursework" in the drop down menus for Education. Since I did my undergraduate degree and graduate work at the same university, I am thinking of just having one education entry, choosing "Bachelor's Degree" for highest level attained, and then putting something about my graduate coursework (e.g. degree I was working toward, GPA, semester hours) in the text box. Any ideas on how to format the bit in the text box, or better ideas for how to wedge my graduate coursework into the resume?

Thanks in advance.
elcid89  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 6:00:08 AM(UTC)
elcid89

From the help section on USAJOBS:

Note: If you are currently completing your degree, select the degree and enter in the expected degree completion date.

You might be a firefighter if your kids are afraid to get into water fights with you ...
elcid89  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 7:25:16 AM(UTC)
elcid89

In your case, you might want to select the degree and enter "none" in the completion date or leave it blank. I would definitely not lump it in with your undergraduate entry. The graduate work needs to be delineated as such, separately from your undergraduate work,  even if you never expect to complete the degree. 
You might be a firefighter if your kids are afraid to get into water fights with you ...
katedc  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 7:34:36 AM(UTC)
katedc

Thanks, elcid89! Looking at it again, the fields that were marked as required when I put in my first degree are marked as optional for the subsequent ones. That's one worry eliminated. And yeah, I was uncomfortable with the the idea of squishing all that together.
katedc  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 7:38:32 AM(UTC)
katedc

Hm, no. It's still making me pick "Master's Degree". I hope that the way it comes out:

Master's Degree [no date]
22 Semester Hours

makes it clear that I'm not claiming a degree I don't have.
katedc  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 7:47:23 AM(UTC)
katedc

Heh, it's late and I've been staring at a screen way too long; I just reread and realized that picking the degree and leaving the date off was exactly what you were suggesting. I'll just leave it like that, then. Thanks again!
elcid89  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 8:03:30 AM(UTC)
elcid89

YW. Best of luck with your search!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed