Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Call me Energy  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 9:48:40 PM(UTC)
energy

Groups: Registered

I know I've probably read it in bits and pieces on this site before, but I couldn't find the answer in 
a quick search and thought someone here could probably answer it for me real quick.

Yesterday I was offered a job with OPM (Office of Personnel Mngmnt) which I interviewed for 
3-4 months ago.
The job is listed as:
Series & Grade:GS-0901-05/07Promotion Potential:11
My question is 2 fold, First what does PROMOTION POTENTIAL mean? Does it mean this is 5,7,9,11 
position? Does it mean it is a 5 or 7 then maybe a higher grade in the future with no guarantee? Does it 
mean that future grades will be posted and I will have to apply? I am use to positions 
grades being posted as:  Series & Grade GS-901-7/9/11 NOT listed under promotion potential

My second question is I am currently a GS-7 at another agency (I have 3 years in the gov) and I will have 
52 weeks at the gs-7 in May of this year. Does the way this is posted mean I am eligible for a GS-9 in May 
if I take the position? Or would I have to stay in in that position for at least a year?

Thanks for helping me clarify this. Wink

Copper  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:04:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Energy:
It may be best that you contact the person that offered you the job and get specific answers to your questions.  The reason for this is that regardless on any advice received in this forum the only information/answers that will count will be theirs.  If you can, I suggest you diplomatically ask for written clarification.

The wording in the job listing is confusing and potentially problematic.  All the more reason to get a clear understanding from them.

As to your 2nd question; it depends on the agency and the performance level of jobs skills needed.  I have seen it handled both ways you described.   

Good luck!
Knight  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:25:21 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 478 time(s) in 395 post(s)
If the jobs are different enough they may keep you at a 7 for another year. Looks like it is 5/7 and then the 9/11 is based off of certain conditions. But Copper has given good advice, only the agency really knows what they mean.
Call me Energy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:07:50 PM(UTC)
energy

Thanks you guys, I am going to talk to the HR person that called me tomorrow. I dont know if I can get everything in writing, however it is not going to stop me from trying
funInSun45  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 1:10:35 AM(UTC)

This is worth a phone call, but it mostly depends on your current series now.  If you're an 0901 in your current job, then you'll be brought in as a 7.  You may still be able to become a 9 in May, but they also may make you wait the full year from the date OPM hires you.

If you're not currently an 0901, then they're looking to hire someone at either the 5 or 7 level.  They usually have internal guidelines for that, but in general if you have a BS/BA with GPA greater than either 3.5 or 3.0 (not sure which), you'll usually be eligible for a 7.

Promotion potential refers to  that series ladder you mentioned, you spend (at a minimum) 52 weeks of being a 5/7/9/11. For the first paragraph to apply, you have to be in the 0901 series (as shown on your SF50), not just something close to or like an 0901.

Scott Dickinson  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 8:22:04 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Usually when posted like this:
GS-XXXX-5/7 KPP 11 means that they can hire at either the 5 or 7 level and the position has the known promotion potential to 11. That is how your post reads to me:
If it was posted as this:
GS-XXXX-5-11 KPP 11 it means that they can hire at any of the levels (5,7,9,11) and the position has the KPP to 11.
To answer your second question: It depends.
I have transfered into a position when I had 2 months at one grade level. I performed above average so at 10 months in that agency (12 months total TIG) I was promoted to the next level. If your supervisor thinks you are capable of performing at the 9 level, they can promote you. If they feel like you need more time at that agency, they can make you wait. Also promotions are not automatic, if you get a jerk for a supervisor they can play "When I say jump, you say 'How High?'" games with you.
Call me Energy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:21:42 AM(UTC)
energy

Thanks, I have to call the HR rep today, but it looks like I will proablly take the position. It is an extra hour of commute time each day but my current position has no additional grades associated with it. At least with this position I am very likely to move up to the gs-11 postion.
Communicator  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:58:26 PM(UTC)

Congrats!
Call me Energy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:39:05 PM(UTC)
energy

Thank you everyone for the advice. I accepted the position yesterday. Just to clear up anything for anyone else that apply for something like this in the future

1) It does in fact go up to gs-11 without having to reapply for positions, however promotions will be based on the level of my work.

2) they would NOT put it in writing for me

3) My previous work experience ( I have a had a similar position in the past) may allow me to get a promotion in May, but that will be up to my supervisor
Communicator  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:02:53 PM(UTC)

We'll be expecting to hear from you again in late May after you get your promotion!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed