Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DEA

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) is a federal law enforcement agency under the United States Department of Justice, tasked with combating drug smuggling and use within the United States. Not only is the DEA the lead agency for domestic enforcement of the drug policy of the United States sharing concurrent jurisdiction with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, it also has sole responsibility for coordinating and pursuing U.S. drug investigations abroad.

Perhaps you are working for the DEA or interested in working for the DEA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DEA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Scout0315  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 12:52:57 PM(UTC)
Scout0315

Groups: Registered

AG announced a hiring freeze effective January 21, 2011…….FYI
"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
superbowl  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 06, 2011 3:04:56 AM(UTC)
superbowl

Any word on how this will effect this year's DEA BATs?

I have been in the process since Dec. 2008 and was told that I would "hopefully" be placed in either the June or August 2011 BAT. On another forum there are conflicting comments on whether or not 2011 BATs will be cancellled or will continue as scheduled. I am panning on reaching out to my recruiter this week, but up to this point he has been (understandably) reluctant to give me any particulars about timeframes, etc., so I just thought I'd put it out there and see what info. others might have.
the Boston Wolf  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:49:10 AM(UTC)
the Boston Wolf

I have been in the process now for 25 months and was tentatively scheduled to go to the June 2011 BAT class.. got a call from my recruiter last week stating the may and June classes have been cancelled as of now but there may be a august/september class. thats what i know so far
superbowl  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 4:59:51 AM(UTC)
superbowl

Yeah, it sounds like you and I are in about the same boat...I got more or less the same info. from my recruiter, but he said he might know more if they pass a new budget next month. Frustrating to be in the process for 2+ years, finally get approved for hire, and then have this happen. I just hope we can get in sometime this year.
MarkMcG  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 12:43:06 PM(UTC)
MarkMcG

I didn't even know the DEA had "recruiters." I presume these are the folks one must coordinate with after one gets a job offer? Also...once you get a job offer you can't start the job until you get a slot in a BAT class? Boston Wolf & superbowl, fill me in on the timeline & sequence of events of what happened after your initial job interview/test. How do you know about the dates of the different BAT classes?
the Boston Wolf  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:31:26 AM(UTC)
the Boston Wolf

Mark...

It all started a very long time ago like i said 25 months in the process now....they tell me it usually takes 2 years to complete the process.... sorry if the time line is off but it has been awhile...you need to fill out the application , drug use forms, then went for a writing sample, Oral Interview with senior agents, drug test, then  medical at local field office, mine was Boston, then PTT (3/2010), then psychological written, psychological oral, then lie detector and the background investigator comes out during the later part of completeing all of that. I got a conditional job offer back on Feb 06, 2009 and still completed this process.

I was told of the classes by my S/A contact and was advised i was tentatively scheduled for the class right b4 the freeze went into effect.... the problem is i reach the cut off age this summer and have had my families life on hold this whole time and for it all to fall apart for some other reason than my qualifications is a real kick in the teeth....

the Boston Wolf2011-02-22 12:36:43
fladjb  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:22:52 PM(UTC)
fladjb

Well I passed everything, I'm good to go. Time to move from Florida to Washington!!!!!!!! New job, sold off everything at home, house ready to be turned over. Oh wait after 8 months of BI and other fun stuff we have a hiring freeze!!!! Dam this sucks. Life has a funny way of turning sometime. Hope this freeze is lifted soon for everyone. Everyone hang in there, you are all needed. Ouch
ineedajob  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:30:52 AM(UTC)
ineedajob

Good chance you'll wind up back in florida anyway after training
NYCDivision5289  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2011 6:29:40 AM(UTC)
NYCDivision5289

Man that sucks, but if there's anything the rest of us can learn (if we didn't already) is NOT to put your life on hold or make important life decisions based on the outcome of this process. Even though I'm trucking through the hiring process (PTT scheduled for next week), I'm still making career choices as if I wasn't in the process. I'm taking the LSAT in June and will be applying to schools this fall. If everything works out perfectly (big if as far as DOJ hiring is concerned), then I will be able to pick between two viable options. If not, I could defer my admission for a year if I want to, but I'll have to see where I'm at when that times comes...
<font size="1"><strong>Vacancy BA-2010B</strong> <br /> <br />Applied: 02/2010 <br />COE GS-7: 04/2010 <br />COE GS-9: 06/2010 <br />Passed Phase I Testing: 10/2010 <br />Passed Panel Interview: 12/2010 <br />Passed Medical: 12/2010
HidingPlaces  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:36:33 PM(UTC)
HidingPlaces

Does anyone know if hiring is still frozen now that a budget has been put out there? I had been hearing that any training classes were based off of what the final budget was.
Ruanne  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:58:31 PM(UTC)
Ruanne

No word yet. The budget just passed on Thursday, I'm sure they are evaluating the results and determining what they can do for the rest of this year. Probably having meetings as we speak. If you find something out, post it here. We'll all do the same:

the Boston Wolf  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:00:23 AM(UTC)
the Boston Wolf

i have not heard anything...have an email into my recruiter. waiting to hear back
the Boston Wolf  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:45:48 AM(UTC)
the Boston Wolf

DEA hiring freeze is still on as of 5-02-11.....indefinately
Ruanne  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:35:48 AM(UTC)
Ruanne

The FBI has started to place people who have already been cleared and approved for hire - basically last Fiscal Year's leftovers. But there's not enough slots for everybody, and a lot of people are being asked to take positions other than the ones they applied for in the first place. So it's a Hiring Thaw, and not even that if you aren't already in the hiring system.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed