Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PTF Clerk  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:39:56 AM(UTC)
PTF  Clerk

Groups: Registered

Hi there, I am new to this forum.  I am really feeling the frustration with the post office.  I am a PTF Clerk and have been for almost 12 years.  Five miles down the road from me, a small rural office was in need of an OIC, management decided to put a rural carrier in that position.  I questioned their decision and even called a union rep.  He made a phone call, then called me back and told me that management could put whomever they wanted to in that position as long as it was done the right way....What happened here?  How do they figure that a carrier is more qualified to run a one person office than a clerk?  I had contacted our POOM several times to let him know that I was interested in that office, applied for the OIC program and did everything that I could think of to get that job and to no avail.  Now, this person has been in there for over a year, getting 40 hours a week and I cannot even get 2 hours a day.   What is going on???  If this kind of stuff is going on, why do we even have a union??
retiring20soon  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:51:58 AM(UTC)
retiring20soon

PTF Clerk wrote:

Hi there, I am new to this forum.  I am really feeling the frustration with the post office.  I am a PTF Clerk and have been for almost 12 years.  Five miles down the road from me, a small rural office was in need of an OIC, management decided to put a rural carrier in that position.  I questioned their decision and even called a union rep.  He made a phone call, then called me back and told me that management could put whomever they wanted to in that position as long as it was done the right way....What happened here?  How do they figure that a carrier is more qualified to run a one person office than a clerk?  I had contacted our POOM several times to let him know that I was interested in that office, applied for the OIC program and did everything that I could think of to get that job and to no avail.  Now, this person has been in there for over a year, getting 40 hours a week and I cannot even get 2 hours a day.   What is going on???  If this kind of stuff is going on, why do we even have a union??
It's the POOM's girlfreind, wife, daughter or son as the OIC in that office. Nepotism and favoritism runs wild in the U.S.Postal Service. Several years ago I have seen a level 24 Postmaster promote every one in his family in the district that I worked in, wife, son and daughter. It is all in the family in the USPS and the give head to get ahead program is wide open. Extremely sad but true.  retiring20soon2011-01-25 16:57:19
lindalu55  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:56:27 PM(UTC)
lindalu55

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
All career employees should have a chance to OIC or 204B.  This includes city or rural carriers, clerks, and office or plant workers.
UNIONlvr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:46:38 PM(UTC)
UNIONlvr

I am sure that we have people even more qualified, who have been employed longer, NOT able to receive an OIC assignment.
haha I am one....15yrs!
Yes, one of the problems with hiring TE's or PMRs, etc is the back door to get family and friends in.
However, I don't think that RCAs qualify for any advancement so if that rural carrier isn't full time I would find a way to report it.  ( probably why I can't get a detail...lol)
Southernclerk  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:37:13 PM(UTC)
Southernclerk

PTF Clerk wrote:

Just a thought.  Similar things are happening in our area also.  PMR's put in small offices over clerks begging for the opportunity, PTF clerks that NEVER showed interest were courted to take OIC positions over PTF clerks that had OIC'd and wanted that particular assignment.  Might I add  (and this is highly opinionated) it appeared that they courted the clerks the PM's were not that pleased with to go to the OIC assignments. 
I'm speculating on this as . . . honestly the way they have filled small offices in our area has been truly bizarre.  But you said something that makes me think your situation is similar,in that you said this office you wanted was five miles down the road.
We have smaller offices that haven't had a PM position filled in years, we suspect that they will be the first to lose the PM position and be a hub office, close or be contracted out.
The career personnel that they have courted in our area to fill these small offices are coming from offices that we suspect are offices that will be downsized due to DUO and CORE and again, this is a way to cull out a Post office career staffing in the downsized office.  One office literally pushed two of their clerks to go OIC and then had to borrow clerks to fill the lose of people to do the work.
What I'm trying to say is that it is quit possible that they did you a favor in the long run.  Although I am certain their choice wasn't for you, it could be that office may not around in a year or so.
Its not about being qualified . . .  geez, if you've seen the OIC's we've had come through our office you would realize it has NOTHING to do with being qualified.
And to the rural carriers that did get the OIC position, apparently he/she is doing okay as otherwise they would have pulled them.
This still doesn't fix your desire to make more hours but I just wanted to give you a diffrent prospective to look at this.

UNIONlvr  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:49:27 PM(UTC)
UNIONlvr

I know of a rural carrier that was sent to training and passed ( I was also at this training, and he was a relative) before they (district) realized that he could NOT fill the position he took the training for so not necessarily true that this person would have been pulled by now.  Just saying...
Southernclerk  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:50:17 AM(UTC)
Southernclerk

Don't question your post.  But how long ago are you talking? as we haven't had training available to be an OIC for several years.   In 13 years we've had 12 PM/OIC's and I only know of one that went through supervisor training.

lindalu55  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:54:22 AM(UTC)
lindalu55

Alot of vacant offices  in rural areas are being OICed long term now.  Most by PMRs.  The offices are on the list of possible closures, if allowed by congress.  Putting a rural carrier in over you saves them $$.  How??  The rural carrier is full time already, thus no increase in hours.  The RCA to carry for carrier probably makes less than PTF,  And time and pay for RCA will not count for retirement (if they ever become career).  If you want to work more, contact the PMs and OICs of offices around you and let them know you want to work.  As PMRs and PTFs are called to OIC, who is left to cover for the office.  Get your name out there and do a GREAT job if called.  You will probably have to take some sh** jobs and might have to kiss some booty.  But the reality is this is how the PO works. 
common-sense  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:07:45 AM(UTC)
common-sense

It's been my observation that starting at the top of this organization, subordinates are chosen who are not a threat to displace their superiors. By the time you get down to the station level, you can understand why this organization cannot fix itself in its current construct.

Having said that, any employee who's earning a fair amount in OT pay, should be thankful that paradigm exists.

retiring20soon  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:31:06 AM(UTC)
retiring20soon

common-sense wrote:

It's been my observation that starting at the top of this organization, subordinates are chosen who are not a threat to displace their superiors. By the time you get down to the station level, you can understand why this organization cannot fix itself in its current construct.

Having said that, any employee who's earning a fair amount in OT pay, should be thankful that paradigm exists.

common-sense,

You are absolutely right that subordnates are chosen who are not a threat to displace their managers/supervisors. That is why the USPS has so many morons as managers and supervisors. In my plant we had one good supervisor with an MBA and great work experience but the Plant Manager was so threatened by his qualification he could never get past SMO. He was run into the ground by the Plant Manager and was forced to leave. Sad but so true about how the USPS promotes one moron after another because of this concept.
kingsmen1  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 8:56:39 AM(UTC)
kingsmen1

The USPS will pay that rural carrier a lot less than they will pay any ptf.  The clerk and city carrier craft have provisions set up with in their contracts that immediately put them on higher level pay, including overtime.  A rural carrier has to work the position for a minimum of 30 days with a 1723 on file.  After the initial 30 days a form 50 is cut.  Contractually the USPS cuts the rural carrier back to 40 hours (most rural routes are evaluated over 40 and their salaries have built in ot,) the may give up to a 5% increase in pay from the 40 hour salary at their specific step. to do the OIC position.  The rural carrier is also only paid additional straight time for any hours over 40 and inorder to work over 40 the MPOO must specifically approve it or the additional pay will be denied. Oh, and the NRLCA will not help or represent a rural carrier in the OIC position.

So it is to the Postal Services advantage to not use ptf's in OIC positions because it will cost the USPS more.

kingsmen12011-01-31 17:08:31
Rss Feed  Atom Feed