Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
F250PS  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 12:19:39 PM(UTC)
F250PS

Groups: Registered

I have searched the net for an answer to my question, which is:  I'm a GS 15 step 5 looking to apply for an SES vacancy.  Will my pay be at least what I'm making now or am I pushed back to start of the SES pay of $119k?
20yrvet  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:48:27 PM(UTC)
20yrvet

This doesn't answer your question, but I'm just curious...How is it you become a GS15 and don't know the HR rules? It would seem to me that someone in that grade would be the head of an agency or at the very least a department head over many employees. Your location is not DC, so what gives?
F250PS  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:24:25 PM(UTC)
F250PS

You’re correct, you don't answer my question.  I'm not looking for criticism from you or anyone else in this forum.  Do you know every answer to every question related to your GS scale?  I fail to understand what being in the DC metro has to do with anything, let alone my question.  I focus on performing at the optimum level as it is described in my position description, which says nothing about knowing the HR Regulations.  Get a life and leave me alone.

20yrvet  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:38:24 PM(UTC)
20yrvet

First off, I wasn't criticizing you. I simply asked how you could be at such a high grade and not know the answer to your question or at least be resourceful enough to ask your HR what your pay level would be set at.  Second, no, I don't know every answer to related to my GS scale; but I know how much I should be getting paid!

The reference to DC was because, there is a larger concentration of higher level GS and SES employees who are not in agency head and supervisory positions, so they wouldn't be privy to a lot of the HR rules and regulations. So if you were in that situation I could understand why you didn't know.

No need for you to be an ass. But I'll leave you alone.

F250PS  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:50:32 PM(UTC)
F250PS

I have asked my HR staff, they normally do not deal with SES positions so it is not an answer they can come up with right away, hence the post.  One should look in the mirror before accusing a person on being an ass, have a good day!
F250PS  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:46:59 PM(UTC)
F250PS

Are you people for real?  I should have known better than to post to such an open site where people can make such stupid assumptions.  It’s a simple question, I guess I don't deserve to be a pompous Federal employee like some who visit this website since I don't know all there is to know in the HR regulations.

FedSam  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:32:14 AM(UTC)
FedSam

I will answer your question sir.

It is typical in the federal
government that you would get a higher salary. I am not familiar with
the SES levels, however, if you make at at least $130k as a GS-15 (for example), you would also make more than $130k as an SES.

To
make sure, however, A) Check the job announcement to see what the max
pay for the SES job is, and B) negotiate with HR before you accept the position.

The only cases I can think of that you would get less
than your current salary is if you A) don't tell HR, B) willingfuly
accept lower pay and C) the job announcement's max salary is more than
your currentFedSam2011-01-30 08:39:32
aftester  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:00:47 AM(UTC)
aftester

I'm surprised myself, doubt you'll find any SES folks lurking around here. My manager thinks GS-3s should know everything (I think it was an insult). Sir, taxpayers expect government employees to have some standards, so please don't be alarmed if you're being called into question.

But one thing I do know is that vet pref doesn't apply to SES positions, you don't get comp time or locality pay, and pay is based on performance level. If it's anything like the GS system, they will not lower your pay for being promoted. I can't see how it's any different, so it must be based on negotiation as well as the type of SES position -- be it professional, scientific, etc.
cityfed  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:35:42 AM(UTC)
cityfed

F250, I have looked at SES positions too (although I'm not quite ready yet) and I don't know the answer to this question.  I also don't get the doubt that a GS-15 would be on here.  Why not? 

I can't find the answer on opm.gov but I think you retain your pay when you advance to the SES.  Good luck in your quest.

Wakahaka  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:21:46 AM(UTC)
Wakahaka

In his defense... I'm currently in consideration for a 14 position, not based in DC.  I don't know diddly about HR, etc.  I know my job, and I know it well.  When I make it up to the 15 level, I can't presume I will have gained some huge amount of knowledge about the SES system, or pay structure.

While the information you posted Kathi is readily available, it doesn't answer his question.  If brought on as a new SES, are you stuck in the Level 1 category or can you be brought in higher?  That would make a huge difference in the pay question.  

How can he know "what they would be paid for crying out loud" if he hasn't even applied for an SES position?

Moron.
cityfed  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:57:22 AM(UTC)
cityfed

Wakahaka wrote:
In his defense... I'm currently in consideration for a 14 position, not based in DC.  I don't know diddly about HR, etc.  I know my job, and I know it well.  When I make it up to the 15 level, I can't presume I will have gained some huge amount of knowledge about the SES system, or pay structure.

While the information you posted Kathi is readily available, it doesn't answer his question.  If brought on as a new SES, are you stuck in the Level 1 category or can you be brought in higher?  That would make a huge difference in the pay question.  

How can he know "what they would be paid for crying out loud" if he hasn't even applied for an SES position?

Moron.

Exactly. 

I've noticed some disdain for higher-graded people on here.  As if at a GS-15 you suddenly gain special insight into the SES?  That really makes no sense.

I hope these same guidelines are applied evenly to everyone - if they were, there would be no reason for this forum.  Every question you have about federal career planning should be answered by your HR or you are a liar and must not be a federal employee at all.  lol.
Wakahaka  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:03:42 AM(UTC)
Wakahaka

cityfed wrote:
Wakahaka wrote:

Moron.

Exactly. 

I've noticed some disdain for higher-graded people on here.  As if at a GS-15 you suddenly gain special insight into the SES?  That really makes no sense.

I hope these same guidelines are applied evenly to everyone - if they were, there would be no reason for this forum.  Every question you have about federal career planning should be answered by your HR or you are a liar and must not be a federal employee at all.  lol.

I'm a GS-13, and started this grade at age 26, and when I first came here, some of the comments I received basically crossed the gambit of "You're a liar" to "Great!".  More often than not, I received negative comments, and about how unfair it was that a young "kid" was a GS-13, when they spent the last 20 years as a GS-11.

Whatever.

I'm a 13 now, in consideration for a 14 in our office, or an internal promotion overseas as a 14.  One thing I've learned in the last few years working in the Military, Corporate Life, and as a Federal employee is that in any job, whiners will whine and hard workers will move up.  If you're not self-motivated or a hard worker, you're going to sit in that same cubicle office for the next 10 years.  

There is an enormous amount of hate towards 12's, 13's, and 14's on this board.  I've read multiple times that "there is no way a 15 would be on here".  It's like they think once you're at that level, you somehow forget how to use a computer or a message board.  It's 2011 folks.

Wakahaka2011-01-30 19:09:49
cityfed  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:08:06 AM(UTC)
cityfed

I agree 100%.  Sounds like we are on similar paths at similar ages.  I expect to be a 15 in the next two months, I guess when that happens I won't be able to post here anymore because my computer will immediately deny all routing to fedsoup.  Even if I could I am sure I couldn't share my excitement over getting promoted without getting some hate mail.
F250PS  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:38:13 PM(UTC)
F250PS

Thanks for the last three post folks, Yeah I looked at OPM too and couldn't find my answer, which is why I posted here.  Thanks for your thoughts and when I get an answer, I'll post it here for all to read.
ahales  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 9:54:45 PM(UTC)
ahales

Congrats on being a 13 at 26... I am a little behind, I will be  a 12 this year at 27. 
PsychoFan  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:27:46 PM(UTC)
PsychoFan

Retire2019  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:02:58 PM(UTC)
Retire2019

The SES pay scale begins at $145,700K, not the $119K to which you refer.  The two systems (GS and SES) are different systems, therefore one does not rely on the other for pay information in the purest legal sense.  You state your current GS scale is GS-15, Step 5, and in Oregon that salary is $118,241 annually for CY2011.  An increase of $27,459 over your current salary is a great salary increase (22% increase).  I don't think "negotiations" are necessary.

Check the OPM.GOV websites for current pay rates for both GS and SES positions.

Good luck!
F250PS  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 12:12:05 PM(UTC)
F250PS

Listen Kathi, there is nothing wrong as you tend to believe.  I just asked a simple question and yes I already sent an email to my HR folks, but I was searching the net (including OPM) and could not find my answer.  I stumble along this website and for some reason you have a problem with me, a GS 15 asking a question.  Of all places, I figured I would be able to ask and get an answer.  I didn't think I would get such a negative email from you.  Please leave me alone.

To Retire, the starting pay you list of $145k is for the 'Executive schedule', not the 'Senior Executive Schedule (SES)', which starts at $119k.

I'm going to log off, not sure if I'll ever be back to this site.
Thanks to those who were positive and did provide some useful information.
freeageless  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 9:30:09 PM(UTC)
freeageless

Kathi52 wrote:
Uh, sorry, but don't buy into this folks. NO GS-15 would ever, and I mean ever, ask this question as they would already know the answer. Furthermore, this information is readily available should they desire it. Sorry, but this person is NOT a GS-15!   

Kathi52, you wrote an arrogant, condescending, know-it-all post. At the very least you owe that GS-15 an apology.
cityfed  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 10:35:25 PM(UTC)
cityfed

Kathi52 wrote:
no one here could calculate his pay; two different systems entirely. AGAIN, his source would be HR and OPM. This is not rocket science! 

Your posts sound like you really have an issue with people in higher grades than you.  Almost like you think that GS-15s are a different species and could not possibly frequent the sites you frequent or ask the same types of questions people on here ask.  Like this person is the only 15 to ever use this site.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed