Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
phillykg  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:26:19 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I had an interview with the DCMA for a contract pricing/cost analyst GS 12 position on 1/16 and was notified on 1/21 by the pricing chief that they selected me for the job.  I am coming from private and am at my wits end with my current job, to the point I consider walking out every day.  My question is, am I looking at a 4-5 month time frame before I start working?  If so, I'm gonna lose my mind.  I have not been contacted by the the hiring office with a TO yet, as well as required info to start the security clearance check.  If a similar post is already out there related to this, apologies.  Thanks.
CPAAudit  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:20:36 AM(UTC)

It's usually a month of so for the TO and then maybe a month after that.

As for being at your wits end. Try to work at one of the larger contractor office. That is where the real complex problems are.

phillykg  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:23:21 AM(UTC)

OK thanks.  2 months I can handle, but 5 might cause me to jump off a bridge.
proud2serve  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:34:44 AM(UTC)

I can tell you my experience with the DCMA.  I was a transfer from one agency to another but I still had to do the drug test and the security paperwork.  I only needed a low level security clearance.  Anyway I don't have my dates but it only took me about a month.  Human Resources from Fort Riley contacted me with a TO on 12/1 pending the drug test and security.  The army handles a lot of the HR functions for DCMA.  Things moved fast, I received the final offer on 12/22.  I thinked they had a waiver for my security since I already had one done from my other agency.       

I am still new at the job but in communicating with several DCMA CMOs (contract management offices), most of the offices are very small.  So it seems to me that if they are hiring somebody, they want that person to start as soon as possible.  

Hang in there, I am sure something will come soon from HR.  Don't burn bridges at your current job until HR contacts you with a final offer and you accept, etc. 
martyb  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:42:24 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I'd be surprised if it took more than a couple of months.  Security clearances are usually the thing that end up taking the longest.
Forum trolls to 0%
phillykg  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:03:23 AM(UTC)

Update for any inquiring minds:

1/21 - told by pricing chief I was selected for the job

3/1 - contacted pricing chief, and informed them that I had not been contacted by any hiring official yet.

3/1 - pricing chief called hiring office to understand my status

3/3 - hiring official called me asking for official transcripts

3/4 - hiring official confirmed that they received my transcripts, and also mentioned that they would explore the option of obtaining a waiver, so that the security check could be delayed and I could start earlier.

I've not heard anymore from the hiring official, but i'm hoping they provide me the OF 306 and whatever other required forms ASAP and keep this moving forward. I'm burned out at my current job and its painful to watch this drag out, but I'll be patient.  Hopefully this info benefits someone

Out of the Hole  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:58:56 PM(UTC)

It sounds like selecting official (SO) didn't tell HR you were hired or HR didn't act on SO's request. Either way, that's messed up.  I know hindsight is 20/20, It's best to keep an open line of communication with the SO and let them know what is (or is not) going on.  Unless they contain information you want to protect, forward all emails to from HR to SO.
phillykg  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:05:34 AM(UTC)

Yea, I'm sure somebody dropped the ball during the process.  I sent inquiry emails out during the months of Jan and Feb, and was told I have to wait for the hiring office to contact me.  In the mean time, I got my tentative offer last week, which I accepted and I just completed the EQIP.  I'm praying to find out I've been granted a waiver for an early start date.  I don't have a history of any suspicious activity, so I'm not sure what would negate it.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed