Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TB113  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:00:52 PM(UTC)
TB113

Groups: Registered

Is it possible to fail this driving test if driving to passively.  I wonder if this is how I failed it.

Just to update, I failed, and have no idea why.  Didn't break any traffic laws, did not put anyone in any danger, and flat out failed.

I may have been driving less aggresive than most, wonder if this why.

Input anyone????
recycledpaper  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:57:52 PM(UTC)
recycledpaper

Did you curb your wheels, use your emergency brake, turn signals, etc.?
chicagoexam  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:50:44 PM(UTC)
chicagoexam

I've never heard of anyone failing the 804; not that it's never happened, I just haven't heard of it.  I know people who have failed the 805 (multiple-choice test taken on the computer), and I have heard of people failing the 806 (on-road test) - but it's because they hit something. 
recycledpaper  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:29:33 AM(UTC)
recycledpaper

What do you mean when you say you were driving less agressively than most?
MailmanB  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 9:46:43 AM(UTC)
MailmanB

Did you follow the instructions of the examiner (turn, park, stop, etc.) where and when instructed ?
TB113  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:07:38 PM(UTC)
TB113

That doesn't make me feel any better about failing this exam chicagoexam, but its allright.  This just makes me more perplexed as to what did I do to fail.  Did I curb my wheels?  No, I did not, but we parked on levels streets, and the handbook specifically states that you do not have to curb wheels if on a flat road.  Did I follow all the instructions?  To a T, literally.  I did not miss any instructions, and I drove well.  Really, I am a very good driver. 

What I mean by driving passively, is the extreme opposite of driving aggressively.  Either at or below the speed limit.  Took turns slow, picked up slow, baked slow, and came to smooth stops, and took probably fice minutes longer than I would have normally.

Ugh, this really irks me, could something have gone wrong with the scoring?

I got all my "not selected" notices this morning, for all eight positions I was up for.  I was on the hiring list for all of them.  I had done three intervies, and had the background and drug screens done.  Now, I am not not eligible for any of them.  My god.....I don't know, I'm just irked.
MaleMan  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 9:33:41 PM(UTC)
MaleMan

TB113,

I don't know if they really have to give you the details of the "fail" but, I would also be like you and want to know. Also, perhaps they made a mistake and pulled up a different person's driving record with a similar name/number. I mean it does happen.

On the other side, it could be something you did incorrectly and didn't realize it. That also happens - I have known a few folks in my office that actually failed the test before they actually got out of the parking lot. Yep, there is a stop sign at the edge of the parking lot that provides access to the public road. At least here, if you don’t come to a complete stop at that sign you just failed the test.

By the way, I would say 75% of the traffic that leaves the lot does not stop for that stop sign. So, it is really harder for the folks that have worked in the building for a while before taking the driving test, cause then they are already in the habit of not stopping.

But, I am with you, regardless of the reason I would want to know if I was at fault or them or some error in their researching of documents.

Good luck

<font color=RED><em> <center> Just Because You're Paranoid - Doesn't Mean They Aren't Out To Get You. </em> </center></font>
recycledpaper  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:52:13 AM(UTC)
recycledpaper

Always curb your wheels...  I would imagine you don't carry a level with you at all times to verify the road is truly flat.

When you say driving non-aggressively, do you mean you were going 20 under the speed limit?

Did you set the parking brake if you were asked to stop and secure your vehicle?
TB113  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:21:11 AM(UTC)
TB113

Okay, so, did I fail because I didn't curb the wheels on two parks?  I did engage the parking brake and I put it in park.  Was I suppose to turn off the engine?  He didn't tell me too.

Okay, so now I didn't curb the wheels nor did I turn the engine off on two parks.

Is that enough to fail me?

My passive driving was not 20 under the speed limit, it five max, I drove right at ther speed limit, or five below, again a safe speed.  I understand that driving under the speed limit can be unsafe.  But five under is not unsafe.

So, is that why I failed.  Didn't curb wheels and didn't turn off the engine?  Is that enough?
RAPUNZEL  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:35:36 AM(UTC)
RAPUNZEL

did u exit the vehicle  with the engine on??????????
hopefully not, but yes, not curbing your wheels and failure to turn off the vehicle if u exit it.....you could fail for that............
chicagoexam  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:08:51 AM(UTC)
chicagoexam

I looked for my 804 information, and before I took the 804, they gave me a 5-page packet (cover sheet and pages 1-4) titled "Examination 804: Orientation Guide".  Did you get a copy of this?  On page 3, it says you may be rated "ineligible" (fail) if you pass another vehicle illegally, fail to stop at a stop sign or stop signal, attempt to turn when the road is not clear, pull into traffic or another lane without allowing enough space, strike an object or a person, or get struck by an object or a person.  Basically, if you do anything dangerous, illegal, or if you're involved in some sort of collision.  However, I don't know if there are other reasons for failing - if you look for Handbook EL-804 on the NALC website, you'll see that the person conducting the 804 test is instructed not to tell you how you scored on the test, or what errors you committed. 

Are you sure you failed the test?  Were you advised that your status changed to "not selected" due to the result of the 804 test?

I don't remember if I turned off the engine or not when I parked during the 804, I probably didn't if the examiner didn't specifically tell me to.  I know I didn't curb the wheels when the examiner had me park in a space in a parking lot, you'd just need to curb the wheels "when appropriate".  I don't know if not curbing the wheels (when you should have) would be enough to fail the 804, though.

The 804 is just the initial road test; I thought you pretty much had to follow what it said in the orientation guide, do what the examiner told you to do (and not do anything illegal or hit anything).  It's the 806 that you have to do everything exactly right, because you take the 806 after you've had the USPS classroom and driving course instruction.
TB113  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 10:23:34 AM(UTC)
TB113

chicagoexam wrote:
I looked for my 804 information, and before I took the 804, they gave me a 5-page packet (cover sheet and pages 1-4) titled "Examination 804: Orientation Guide".  Did you get a copy of this?  On page 3, it says you may be rated "ineligible" (fail) if you pass another vehicle illegally, fail to stop at a stop sign or stop signal, attempt to turn when the road is not clear, pull into traffic or another lane without allowing enough space, strike an object or a person, or get struck by an object or a person.  Basically, if you do anything dangerous, illegal, or if you're involved in some sort of collision.  However, I don't know if there are other reasons for failing - if you look for Handbook EL-804 on the NALC website, you'll see that the person conducting the 804 test is instructed not to tell you how you scored on the test, or what errors you committed. 

Are you sure you failed the test?  Were you advised that your status changed to "not selected" due to the result of the 804 test?

I don't remember if I turned off the engine or not when I parked during the 804, I probably didn't if the examiner didn't specifically tell me to.  I know I didn't curb the wheels when the examiner had me park in a space in a parking lot, you'd just need to curb the wheels "when appropriate".  I don't know if not curbing the wheels (when you should have) would be enough to fail the 804, though.

The 804 is just the initial road test; I thought you pretty much had to follow what it said in the orientation guide, do what the examiner told you to do (and not do anything illegal or hit anything).  It's the 806 that you have to do everything exactly right, because you take the 806 after you've had the USPS classroom and driving course instruction.

Yes, I had the five page handout, read it three times the week prior, read it the morning of the exam.  I did not do any of the things it said could be an immediate failure.  As I understand it, the examiner will stop the exam immediately if I did any of these things, and ask to be driven back.  This did not happen.

Yes, I am sure I failed the test, I received a communication stating the results.  It said that any position that has this test as a pre-requisite will now be called ineligible.  Yes, there is no doubt it was the failue of this exam that caused to status to go "Not Selected".

I still do not think that not curbing the wheels and not turning the engine off was enough to fail me, but maybe it was.  I guess I have to assume it was, in the absence of any other information.

I still can't believe this had happened, I'm still.......
nlh9302  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:46:53 AM(UTC)
nlh9302

Hello did you ever find out why you failed?  I failed today and I am very perplexed I got my results maybe 10 minutes after I left the testing sight.   The person who administered my test last words to me that we were going to have a good time in training.  So I am dumdfounded. Just want some input in my case as well.  Thanks
eightup  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:16:42 AM(UTC)
eightup

the school zone is also a problem to fail the driving test.
elyse  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:01:15 AM(UTC)
elyse

maybe the position was no longer available.
nlh9302  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:03:10 AM(UTC)
nlh9302

No school zones and the position was available I was suppose to go see the PM @ 1pm to finish paperwork and take drug test tomorrow I am not sure what I did wrong but the other interview I had three next week all changed to not selected
nlh9302  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:10:54 AM(UTC)
nlh9302

Also, I read this forum and others to make sure I did nothing to fail and the booklet they send you that's why I'm in shock but I guess something just aren't for you.
bobby1464  
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:46:44 AM(UTC)
bobby1464

I passed the 804 but failed the 806 computer test here in Fayetteville, NC. I heard from someone on this site that the instuctors are suppose to hand out 9 panplets for us to study in the classroom. My instuctor didn't do that and a total of 4 failed with only 1 passing and she was a previous postal employee. Is there anywhere on the web that I can go for some information to study the 806 computer test?
wannabeme  
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:28:18 AM(UTC)
wannabeme

Ahhh I saw your other post first.  I see that you already took the computer test and failed.  I'm not sure if it is the same for the computer test, but for the road test, I know you are eligible to retake the road test after 180 days.  Check in with the hiring manager or HR to ask about that.  Again, sorry there's no book that I know of and they do not even tell you which questions you get wrong b/c they don't want people sharing the trick questions, etc.  Sorry.  Hope you get another shot at it.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed