Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Medicare and Health Care

*This is a non-medical board. This site shall not be used to seek professional, medical or legal consultation.

Medicare is health insurance for people age 65 or older, under age 65 with certain disabilities, and any age person with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). There are many different parts to Medicare; with all of these options, it can be confusing.

This forum will allow members to share their experience with medicare and seek advice* on certain medicare-related situations.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JBCIII  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:56:50 AM(UTC)
JBCIII

Groups: Registered

New hire and as many probably were, a bit overwhelmed by the choices of plans vs 'private sector'. Follwed the planning tool and spent the time going over the tradeoff matricies, etc... then realized about FEDVIP and had to do it all over again, backing out vision and dental!

I looked at my recommendations, based on what our situation was (spouse and I recently RIF'ed / outsourced) and thus we need coverage for both... a few maintenance meds of which most are generics, and a Dr. visit or three during the year if something minor comes up.... also I have to go 2x / year for a refill authorization for one of my meds. So, nothing chronic, nothing major (thankfully!) and mostly not used much but for the meds...

Best recommendation / fit + cost balance led me to APWU High (472) for us both = less for both of us than we paid each at the old job!

Question 1 - I read some say good, and some say bad about this plan, but I really won't "use it" much...

Question 2 - I joined NTWU as part of this job, but also see that this plan requires joining APWU as well - didn't really note that until I read more later (we were pretty much on our own about the choices and I had to work fast).

Can I belong to both at the same time to get this plan? Or, will it get rejected as a result, and thus I look at my second choice / redo the tool?
upandup  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:23:50 AM(UTC)
upandup

Groups: Registered

If you aren't a postal  worker, you will be required to get an "associate membership" in APWU. There is a yearly fee for which you will be billed.  This does not conflict with your NTWU membership. NTWU is the union for your bargaining unit; APWU is for you simply the sponsor of the health plan you are choosing.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed