Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Angel1955  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 06, 2011 12:12:27 AM(UTC)
Angel1955

Groups: Registered

Checking my TSP G account last December I found out it was $3,000.00 short - first thought was Congress found out a way to get it - I called TSP first person did not know - second person said they caught the error December 28th, when the distribution of TSP funds was made to those over 70 1/2 EVEN STILL WORKING AS I AM.  After they told me that since it was a distribution I was only charged 10% tax - debated about keeping it - but voided it, returned it registered.  When I called a few days ago since they have so many 1099R's to reissue (so that we don't have to pay taxes as we were charged) they did have any idea when this would be done.  Reason I asked - it was suggested that I I wait for this 1099R before I file my taxes.  I called the IRS and they said there is a form and they did provide the number, which I could use.  WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH OTHERS WHO HAVE GONE THRU THE SAME THING -  We are suppose to get the interest back that we would have made - but within my heart - I wonder - 
simchief  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 06, 2011 9:31:14 PM(UTC)
simchief

I am in same situation; I did receive a TSP 1099R on 2 Feb, showing payment; however I am going to wait until I 'get' a corrected 1099R; showing the disbursement was null and void, and then file.

With all the changes to tax rules I have been advised to file my return closer to 15 April anyway.

That’s a good question: why do they call it a “Tax Return”?

I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
Angel1955  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:46:10 AM(UTC)
Angel1955

I never got a 1099R - since I am getting ready to retire I think I should have kept it.  
I noticed in my W-2 Square 12 - there were 2 D -s - one I knew but the other stated D 09  60.99
IRS didn't know - payroll doesn't know - it appears that my money has been applied back to account - but really couldn't track it thru their website - like there was no break at all - 
simchief  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:35:02 PM(UTC)
simchief

Okay: I received my 1099R earlier this year showing the TSP mandatory Required Minimum Disbursement; in error.

I just received CORRECTED 1099R showing zero distribution; I have been advised to include corrected 1099R information, showing zero distribution, with my federal tax return.

Review of my TSP account shows all has been corrected, as if the error never occurred.

I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
Angel1955  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:51:39 PM(UTC)
Angel1955

Well I did find my 1099R - was in the TSP website - IRS said I could use Form 4852 if I didn't get the amended one - and TSP said that would come in the mail - I wonder if I should have kept the check - going on 41 years CSRS - 
Rss Feed  Atom Feed