Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NSPS - National Security Personnel System

NSPS is the Department of Defense's (DoD) flexible and responsive civilian management system that: (1) values performance and contribution, (2) encourages communication, (3) supports broader skill development, and (4) promotes excellence in the workplace

NSPS modernizes a 50-year-old civil service system, allowing DoD to better attract, recruit, retain, compensate, reward and manage employees. The system focuses on people, performance, and employment decisions that are cost-effective and best for business practice.

(source: Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service)

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Will  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 9:28:22 PM(UTC)
Will

Groups: Registered

Here is the status on some local NSPS to GS conversion, people were appealing to DoD on the basis that they were given a lower GS ranking then the job rates.

The appeals were sent to the DoD for appeal right after the conversions in September.  They got letters that the appeals were won in December.

They were not given corrections they were given promotions.  The thinking is because of the problems with handling back pay the local offices just did it this way to avoid that problem.

After paperwork was received the changes it took them a month to implement the change and produce a new SF-50 so the correct pay could be received.

Abu Jack  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:07:53 AM(UTC)
Abu Jack

I'm an Air Force employee. My postion review just came back today. After the transition from NSPS to GS I came out as a GS 12 step 9. My position review resulted in GS 13. Any idea how the step will be determined? I have heard that the 2 step rule will be applied. If that's so, and I understand the rule, I should be a 13 step 5
Thanks
Will  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:27:11 PM(UTC)
Will

They add two steps to your current GS grade and then compare that to the going to GS grade and bump you up to the closest step.  So it will be around a step 4 or 5.

When did you file for your appeal and did you do it through the DoD, local HR or somewhere else?
Abu Jack  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:08:01 PM(UTC)
Abu Jack

Thanks for the response

I submitted it to local my HR in October, it sat there until the Air Force Moratorium on appeals was lifted in January. My organization completed the review and preclassification on 12 January. It was submitted to the base HR on 21 January. On Monday, 31 January, I recieved a list of audit questions from the Air Force Manpower Agency. I submitted my response last Friday, 4 February and recieved the updated CPD yesterday. So it was relatively quick.
NavyQueen23  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 3:43:53 AM(UTC)
NavyQueen23

Two individuals from our command filed a classification appeal through DoD and his appeal was denied. Reason being is that his position was misclassified going into NSPS; therefore, he believed he should've received a higher grade upon conversion. Wasn't the case.
Toughnose  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 5:41:00 AM(UTC)
Toughnose

Hi Folks. This is my first post.
I was a Supervisory GS-11 that converted to NSPS YC-02. While in NSPS, I was reassigned to head my entire department, from heading 1 section, to 5 sections. I was compensated and a new NSPS PD with SF -5O were completed . I was converted back to GS as a GS-11 using my old PD, from which I was reassigned. That old PD graded out as a 12, and I was still made an 11. I have a new PD submitted by my new mlitary boss. HR has been difficult to say the least. I've bee trying to fix this since June 2010. Any thoughts? Need some direction.
Will  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 2:26:52 PM(UTC)
Will

If both you and your boss are appealing this there is nothing else that can be done.  Have your boss check the status with the people and see where it is at.  Thing with HR just move very slow.
Toughnose  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 11:28:43 AM(UTC)
Toughnose

There is a  lack of cooperation from HR and maybe "higher authority".  Once the PD by my boss subitted is finished being graded, what are the organizational obligations to accept the PD?

From what I read from the NSPS to GS conversion Q and A, they are required to upgrade an pay due to my increased reponsibilities.
Abu Jack  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:30:20 AM(UTC)
Abu Jack

On 8 Feb I got the results that my position was upgraded to GS 13. I found out yesterday that I will be a step 5 effective 27 Feb.
Toughnose  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 09, 2011 12:06:04 PM(UTC)
Toughnose

I picked more duties and your GS PD rated higher, what is the "definitive rule of law" that must be followed by DOD agencies? What if I went into NSPS as an 11 and out a12 or 13. I work for the Marine Corps and I'm being told that the old Table of Organiztion does not support the GS increase.  I need orders or law to support my complaint.

sggravatt  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 07, 2011 6:42:07 AM(UTC)
sggravatt

I am an AF employee at Travis AFB. I have the opposite problem. Was GS 11 prior to NSPS, was YA-02 under NSPS then was made a GS-9 during the conversion back. Supposedly all done using the same PD for all three positions. I have exhausted all avenues at the base level and get stonewalled at every turn. My pay has not been effected but sure would like to at least get my 11 back. Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you.
RetirednHappy  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 07, 2011 9:59:19 AM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

If the official Position Description (PD) was the same for each timeframe you mentioned, it would state "GS-11" on the cover sheet in each instance. If that were the case, you would currently have an official PD with "GS-11" on the cover sheet, and I would find it remarkable that you would be classified as a GS-9 now. Classification as a GS-9 was quite common, coming out of NSPS as former YA-2's. (My guess is that your current, official PD states "GS-9" in the cover sheet.) Stop by your HR office (or otherwise request) and get a copy of the PD, so you will know for sure.  Good luck!
simchief  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 07, 2011 11:01:41 PM(UTC)
simchief

Yes NSPS still haunts us: I was Army GS-14, converted to YC2, transferred to Navy YC2 position under PPP and transitioned back to GS as a GS-12, with NSPS retained pay.

My navy position description did not have any GS grade stated when I arrived; however it now says GS-12.

As a side bar; I can apply for a position at any grade, and if accepted for position, I will keep my NSPS transition retained pay; for example if my pay was $100,000, even in a GS-12 position, I can move to a GS-9 position and would still receive $100,000 salary.

There are certain events that would trigger loss of my retained pay, such as a break in service.
I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
Toughnose  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:37:45 AM(UTC)
Toughnose

That is incorrect. If you take another position, you will assume that pay and responsibilities. You keep the same pay for NSPS conversion purposes only.  You pay does not follow you, unless for RIF's etc.
simchief  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:56:38 AM(UTC)
simchief

I stand corrected, only if new position is same grade do you 'get' same NSPS retained pay. There are limits on maximum pay allowed, under same rules as for GS retained pay.

simchief2011-11-08 10:22:46
I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
fcarver  
#16 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:40:04 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Yep, that's true.

You got retained pay because you were converted, out of your control, to a lower grade than your rate of pay.

If you voluntarily accept a position at a lower grade, you lose retained pay and will get paid at the closest step rate to your current rate of basic pay.
Retired Decoy  
#17 Posted : Friday, November 01, 2013 3:33:16 AM(UTC)
Retired Decoy

I am just wondering how the couple of you in this blog that lost grade or special rate pay (doing a loop around the RUS/base tables), ever came out. I am doing my best to either get this fixed now in a last ditch as they say gentleman's agreement, or initiate an EEOC class action. Looking for real stories posted here how you may have gotten things corrected (or not). any OPM stories really welcome at this point.
Attempt2  
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 02, 2013 6:33:56 AM(UTC)
Attempt2

I can give an up date on mine. I finally got my PD corrected and have it reflecting the work I have been doing the since the NSPS change over.
OPM would not take the appeal since both myself, local HR and my management agreed I was working under mismanagement and with the wrong PD.
Had lots of problems with local HR and AFPC with them lieing about items, ignoring that I was working under mismanagement and them forcing my management to sign paperwork where if they did not AFPC said there would be negative consequences.
It finally ended with them having to treat it like a promotion instead of the NSPS to GS conversion the reason given from AFPC was that I had pushed the appeal instead of management so they would change my pay grade from back when they gave me the wrong PD. Not sure I am going to appeal that since with the promotion I am now 1 year 6 months ahead for time in grade so the money I am out I will make up if I stay in.
Retired Decoy  
#19 Posted : Saturday, November 02, 2013 6:58:14 AM(UTC)
Retired Decoy

hang in here. My fight is going to fix this for EVERYONE that was adversely impacted in any form or manner. Thus if OPM gets it together in the next 10 days or so... If they do NOT. then you are just one more warm body that will by default be eligible to join a class action. In the end you get the promotion, or reconversion which ever is higher, back to reconversion. heck if I have my way, if you transitioned into a special rate field while NSPS was the law, I want the higher back GS special rate pay paid to everyone as far back as the new position under NSPS... Not sure how all this will wash out. full across the board corrective action is going to cost a LOT. under the CFR any employee that receives a corrective action, can NOT be furloughed to fund the action. meaning the IT staff may very well be at work while leadership and non IT people sit at home in a non-reimbursable furlough for as long as it takes to fund this... I luv it.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed