Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
abroerman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:40:30 PM(UTC)
abroerman

Groups: Registered

Greetings all -- Al Broerman here. I'm a student at the University of Cincinnati and I'm working on a project to redesign the interior workspace of USPS mail trucks with a focus on ease of use and safety from the driver's perspective. I'm trying to get some input from postal workers about what they think a redesigned mail truck could benefit from.

I've visited a couple of post offices around Cincinnati and it's been extremely helpful.  Everyone I've met has been extremely kind and knowledgeable.  Now I'm trying to branch out to postal workers outside of my immediate area to find out what you think. 

If you're feeling generous I made a pretty simple 5-10 minute survey here.  Don't feel forced to answer any or all of the questions. 

Any input would help me out immensely. Or, of course, if you don't feel like taking the survey, we could have a discussion here.  Either way, thanks in advance, and have a great week--
-Al

abroerman2011-02-09 08:06:59
boober  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:35:53 PM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Link doesn't work for me.
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
abroerman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:03:00 AM(UTC)
abroerman

Should be working now. Thanks.
boober  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:18:39 AM(UTC)
boober

Works now. I filled it out and it was very easy. Only took a few minutes to do. Thanks. Smile
TETastic  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:33:52 AM(UTC)
TETastic

Can't check the link right now but please, oh please, put in front wheel, or even better, all-wheel drive
abroerman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 5:36:38 AM(UTC)
abroerman

Thanks boober!
and TET, that's not the first time I've had someone recommend changing to FWD or AWD.  Makes you wonder why they didn't go for that originally. I suppose that's just how things were.  Cost concerns too, perhaps.
Juliska  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:59:08 AM(UTC)
Juliska

AIR CONDITIONING!!!! LOL!

Safety reason: can't see with sweat running in your eyes. teehee.

BlameGame  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:03:04 AM(UTC)
BlameGame

abroerman wrote:
Thanks boober!
and TET, that's not the first time I've had someone recommend changing to FWD or AWD.  Makes you wonder why they didn't go for that originally. I suppose that's just how things were.  Cost concerns too, perhaps.

Exactly, cost is the major factor.
TETastic  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 8:01:39 AM(UTC)
TETastic

I know cost is prohibitive for the AWD but I would be surprised if FWD is much more, if at all, more expensive than RWD. I'm far from an auto expert though.
RedSox  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:48:04 AM(UTC)
RedSox

BlameGame wrote:
abroerman wrote:
Thanks boober!

Exactly, cost is the major factor.
Can I assume that the people who work in like Arizona or Nevada or the Virgin Island have A/C in there trucks?
roythomasbaker  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:11:43 AM(UTC)
roythomasbaker

I would like to see some kind of rack system installed inside the vehicles, either in the back or up front for mounted routes or perhaps both. I'm tired of stacking trays of mail on top of each other and piling packages up like blocks and then trying to retrieve something later in the day that was inadvertently placed at the bottom of the heap and out of reach. There was absolutely no thought put in to these vehicles in regards to delivery of mail.
Gshepdog  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:22:08 AM(UTC)
Gshepdog

Please do not replace with a Ford engine...the current FFV/Explorer engine could cost us millions in repairs in the next few years...
Gshepdog2011-02-09 19:29:24
Inception937  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:23:17 AM(UTC)
Inception937

definitely AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand why there is HEAT for the winter...but no AC for the summer?!?!?!?!

someone please explain that to me.

Inception9372011-02-09 19:33:25
Rosey  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:27:02 AM(UTC)
Rosey

Something should be done about the different axle lengths. I understand that a shorter front axle may result in a tighter turning radius but it plays heck in the snow. The LLV has to make two sets of tracks. One the width of the front axle and one the width of the rear axle. This never made much sense to me and caused many stuck vehicles during my years spent in Northern States.
Good luck with your project.
boober  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:01:56 PM(UTC)
boober

The seat is my biggest problem with LLV's. It would be nice if it could go at least another 1-2 inches back. Being 6'3" it makes it a bit difficult to drive when you're so close to the wheel. And also if it offered better lumbar support. It feel's like your just sitting up against a wall on the floor when you're driving. Cry
te2b  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:16:52 PM(UTC)
te2b

roythomasbaker wrote:
I would like to see some kind of rack system installed inside the vehicles, either in the back or up front for mounted routes or perhaps both. I'm tired of stacking trays of mail on top of each other and piling packages up like blocks and then trying to retrieve something later in the day that was inadvertently placed at the bottom of the heap and out of reach. There was absolutely no thought put in to these vehicles in regards to delivery of mail.
I'm with roy on this one.  Shelves, please!!!!!!!
<strong><em><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2"><font color=GREEN>"Life's River Shall Rise, And Only The Strong Shall Survive"</strong></em></font></font></font>
barefoot mailman  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:52:08 AM(UTC)
barefoot mailman

There is a very simple one word explanation for no air conditioning.
MONEY
A heating system costs little extra money because the equipment is much simpler and it works off the cooling system of the radiator. Basically, hot water is rerouted through the heater and there is really no energy cost to it. The heat is dissipated one way or the other, radiator or heater.

On the other hand, an airconditioner is a separate system, much more involved to install, maintain and operate. It has an energy cost in itself. It's why your car gets less mpg when using the ac. Add to that doors being open a significant amount of the team and there is zero chance they will provide ac.
barefoot mailman  
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:53:26 AM(UTC)
barefoot mailman

Make that "a significant amount of the time".
tired mailman  
#19 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 12:04:21 AM(UTC)
tired mailman

Your survey didn't differentiate between LLV's and FFV's. These are two completely different animals. The LLV's are quite efficient as far as loading, storage, and delivery of mail. They are terrible in snow, don't have intermittent wipers, the seats are not as adjustable as an FFV. They are rear wheel drive. The door locks are flimsy at best. The FFV's have many design flaws but handle great as far as driving.  The window is too small (constantly hitting elbow on window frame and it's too high. The tray is too low. There is absolutely no floor space for anything, -- third bundle, purse, parcels, other items needed to be a productive carrier.  There is less room for mail in the back. The step to get in and out of your seat is smaller. The side doors go into the body making it harder to close them because you only have the handle as leverage.  

You need to do a survey comparing the two, not lump them together.
alexoneal10  
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:53:13 PM(UTC)
alexoneal10

tired mailman wrote:
Your survey didn't differentiate between LLV's and FFV's. These are two completely different animals. The LLV's are quite efficient as far as loading, storage, and delivery of mail. They are terrible in snow, don't have intermittent wipers, the seats are not as adjustable as an FFV. They are rear wheel drive. The door locks are flimsy at best. The FFV's have many design flaws but handle great as far as driving.  The window is too small (constantly hitting elbow on window frame and it's too high. The tray is too low. There is absolutely no floor space for anything, -- third bundle, purse, parcels, other items needed to be a productive carrier.  There is less room for mail in the back. The step to get in and out of your seat is smaller. The side doors go into the body making it harder to close them because you only have the handle as leverage.  

You need to do a survey comparing the two, not lump them together.

I can't agree more!

alexoneal102011-03-10 08:21:37
<a href="http://www.learning-chinese-easy.com" target="_blank">learning Chinese</a> <br /><a href="http://www.chinesetranslati&#111;nguru.com" target="_blank">Chinese translation service</a>
Rss Feed  Atom Feed