Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Floatus Maximus  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 5:04:46 AM(UTC)
maxfloater

Groups: Registered

according to this article the only way to get a raise in the TSA on the SV payscale is to get a job in another band.

"
Essentially all federal employees within the Pay Banding model will not receive a salary increase for the length of their duration within any particular band regardless of work performance. Despite the Core Compensation guidelines that state “Within band increases are recommended”. Unlike the GS Scale which afforded within grade “Step Increases”, employees within lets say the H band will NOT receive any base salary increases until he/she finds an I band position (several years)"

can anyone confirm this?

Mind Explorer  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 3:25:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Uppin this topic
Fed1969  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 3:37:44 AM(UTC)

I suspect this may be correct.  The rest of the government has a pay freeze for two years, so I suspect TSA also has a pay freeze.
texasvet54  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2012 12:19:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Management in the FAA is under the Core-Comp pay-band system.  There are no step increases.  There is an Organizational Success Initiative (OSI) that replaced the step increases.  If the FAA meets something like 32 of 35 goals (not sure of the numbers) then the FAA Administrator can grant a whopping 1.0% pay increase to employees.  If the FAA falls short of those goals, the raise can be set to something smaller, which it has been in the past.  Also, on top of the 1%, those in straight Core-Comp typically get the full presidential COLA.  This past year, the 1% was granted, but nothing more because of the pay freeze.

Now if you are member of a union that has a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), like the Air Traffic Controllers union, NATCA, that negotiated a 3% raise for their members a few years back, then your base pay increased 3% for the last few years.   I'm not certain, but I've been told that the POTUS could have, by Executive Order, reduced or eliminated that 3%, but of course since he is a union guy, those of us not covered by a Bargaining Agreement, pretty much received the 1% and that was it.  

With that being said, I have nothing against any union or what they negotiate (I used to be a union rep prior to going to the dark side and I wished that our union could have done the same).  But, it's pretty easy to see how it is tough on morale to watch one part of any organization receive a raise and another part to take it in the shorts.  That is one of the many, many reasons that I retired at the end of the year.  It bothered me to watch hard working technicians hired into a pay-banding system, work beside other technicians in the same band whose base pay was $45K more and there wasn't a thing that I could do about it.  Granted the higher paid techs had 20 years more service, but still, the difference is immoral IMHO. 

texasvet

cpt biggs  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:32:03 AM(UTC)

Yup... It's true. In FAMS (air marshals) we start off as G band then get promoted to H and I bands after each year. When we get to I band (in two years) in band increases (IPIs) are given to the chosen few who are liked more by their supervisors. There are some FAMS who have never received any IPIs throughout their entire career. It's really unfair, but hey what are you going to do.
The HalfBreed  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 9:52:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Actually, the president cannot legally abrogate a union/management legally binding agreement.
Therefore, the 3% raise had to stand, or certainly be enforced by a court. Those are binding agreements.

Of course, it COULD have worked to the detriment, such as others receiving a 5% raise, the 3% would've been the agreement, and enforceable as well.

The HalfBreed2012-03-01 17:57:47
RETIRED CSRS 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years.
Good Bye Tension...Hello Pension !
texasvet54  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2012 12:53:01 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
In a manager's meeting that I attended just after federal pay, with the cooperation of congress, was frozen, we were told that an executive order trumps any union contract regarding pay.  Congress can then pass a bill overturning the executive order (which has happened only twice in history).  The prez would veto the bill, then congress would have to do the 2/3rds thing.  I can't remember if it was a District Manager or our illustrious Service Area Director for Tech Ops that said it.

A tidbit of history for those who think that FDR was always good for government and military workers:

As Governor of New York, Franklin D. Roosevelt had campaigned for the Presidency, in part, on a pledge to balance the federal budget.[4][5] On March 10, 1933, six days after his inauguration, Roosevelt submitted
legislation to Congress which would cut $500 million ($8.181 billion in
2009 dollars) from the $3.6 billion federal budget by eliminating
government agencies, reducing the pay of civilian and military federal
workers (including members of Congress), and slashing veterans' benefits by 50 percent.

On March 24th, 2009, here is what our current prez said:

"Both under our estimates and under the CBO estimates, both the most
conservative estimates out there, we drive down the deficit over the
first five years of our budget," Obama said. "The deficit is cut in
half.  And folks aren't disputing that."

I'm just saying,
texasvet

Rss Feed  Atom Feed