Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DirtCopUSN  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:50:14 AM(UTC)
DirtCopUSN

Groups: Registered

I was refered here on this subject from guys over at officer.com. I'm presently an 0085, prior service MP type. I applied to the SES position and have received emails that I am being considered. I'm aware that SES does dispatch duties, and I've heard that they also do some training work. Is that correct?  My specific question is what do they do at Pembroke Pines? As well what does training cosist of before begining work? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anything violates OPSEC in any shape or form please disregard or if anyone feels uncomfertable posting this information I will gladly provide my current .mil email address to verify who I am. I am highly interested in accepting this position if it's offered. Thanks in advance!

TEWACHO  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2011 11:14:08 PM(UTC)
TEWACHO

DirtcomUSN we are currently dealing with this they want to downgrade all SES's to GS-6.

Everyone,

Can I say a few more words?  The Union genuinely is trying to do everything it can to help the SES employees.  We all feel terrible about the downgrade, and we care very much about the SES employees.  But sometimes matters are not as clear cut as you might think.  According to federal law, classification matters are outside the scope of the union’s duties and responsibilities.  Because this is a classification matter, by law the Union cannot file a grievance regarding the downgrade, and cannot bargain on the proper grade level of any employees.  Therefore, there is nothing we can do to prevent the downgrade, or stop this kind of gross re-classification from occurring in the future.

In addition, it should be emphasized that it wasn’t CBP Human Resources that decided on the downgrade, it was the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).  CBP does not want to downgrade the SES position any more than you want to be downgraded, and is very  worried about employee retention, morale and recruitment.  

In response to Ms. Archer’s other comments, there is no right to bargain until something actually changes.  Right now, there have been no changes to the SES position.  The Union cannot bargain on the downgrade until management decides what exactly it is doing (and hopefully, informs the Union).  Since there have been no changes to the SES position, the agency has no obligation to talk to us at this time.  But once the agency has decided what action it is going to take, it must notify the Union, and then the Union will negotiate to the extent of its legal authority to do so.  What I mean is that the downgrade will stand, but the Union should be able to address some impact and implementation issues, such as preferential consideration for other sector positions for which the individual is qualified. 

Deborah S. Wagner, General Counsel

National Border Patrol Council, AFL-CIO

2yearsin  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 8:17:40 AM(UTC)
2yearsin

Don't know BUT DONT APPLY TO BLAINE WA. ONE OF OUR GUYS JUST BAILED TO PEMBROKE PINES, ANOTHER WOMAN TO SAN FRAN. IMPORTANT,TRY TO TALK TO SES'S NOT SUPES!!  IT is a DEAD END JOB. PERMANENT BOTTOM FEEDING!! IN BLAINE SUPES ARE HIRED FROM OUTSIDE. IF THEY DONT LIKE YOU THEY BAD MOUTH YOU TO RECRUITERS.

2yearsin  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 9:17:53 AM(UTC)
2yearsin

ALSO IN BLAINE YOU DO COPS ....911...  
USBPSES  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2012 10:20:40 PM(UTC)
USBPSES

Just noticed a LECA with ICE in Denver, No PD available however duties less than BP LECA's and potential to GS08 and not a SLECA. Whats BP doing trying to get rid of us?
jrmandryck  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:51:55 AM(UTC)
jrmandryck

If they get rid of all of us future GS06's and staff it with GS12's it'll be interesting to see how long before those rotations become mandatory for agents instead of a volunteer basis
USBPSES  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:46:12 AM(UTC)
USBPSES

No rotatation for BPA's rumor mill has it a new group BPA (Dispatch Group) this will be there assignment not rotation. I do feel a RIF coming in the near future!

LUCKY556  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 03, 2013 8:11:14 AM(UTC)
LUCKY556

Hey wanted to know if you're still at the Pembroke Pines office ... I'm applying for the LECA position and wanted to know what you thought of the position ... Reading some of these threads ppl seem really discouraging about this position
TRITON  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:24:46 AM(UTC)
TRITON

Dead end, not worth the headaches, especially with the pay...You will be treated like a second class citizen.
LUCKY556  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 4:45:34 AM(UTC)
LUCKY556

Thanks but I'm not sure if its any worse than where I am now with no raise in fours years and no retirement to contribute too.
TRITON  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 08, 2013 8:20:35 PM(UTC)
TRITON

Wait till the NLECC opens up. GS11 less work and secure. Don't waste the time with the LECA.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed