Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sisterwomen  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:30:16 PM(UTC)
sisterwomen

Groups: Registered

Just wondering. If a gov shutdown occurs, would retirees get their  monthly annuity payments?
TerryNPS  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:15:00 PM(UTC)
TerryNPS

From what I have heard annuity payments will be like social security.  No payments!
postalvet  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 12:21:48 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
annuity payments should not be affected by a government shut down.  we are in a separate system and our money comes from a different fund.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
LinkC  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 12:58:03 AM(UTC)
LinkC

Different fund, yes.  But Civil Servants still initiate the payments...
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" <br />--what Reagan REALLY said.
TerryNPS  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 1:15:21 AM(UTC)
TerryNPS

Correct LinkC, I have been told annuities would not be paid since no one would be there to hit the  buttons to initiate the payments.
RetiredFED-08  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 3:17:32 AM(UTC)
RetiredFED-08

I'm not worried about a Federal shutdown. I'm 99% sure there will be some form of resolution to the budget to keep the Government working. Probably some sort of compromise on another short or long term CR. IMO. We're all set with our 01-March payment, and I believe Congress will hammer out the budget compromise in time to get the next 01-April payment as scheduled. In the UNLIKELY scenario that the Government did shut down during March after the 01-March CSA Pymt.......it would only be for 3-7 days MAX. IMO...and a budget compromise/resolution would be voted on PDQ. The Government would be back up and running.....and the 01-April CSA Pymt. would be made on time as scheduled. Bottom line with me again is......I'm not worried about a Govt Shutdown.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed