Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lboogie  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:28:25 AM(UTC)
Lboogie

Groups: Registered

If the federal governement is forced to furlough federal employees March 4, 2011, will Federal Employees be eligible for unemployment insurance?  I am a Department of Army Civilian who is Career-Conditional in Kentucky...Ouch

chrisosa  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:52:05 AM(UTC)
chrisosa

In Michigan,  state or some cities  employees who furlough  didn't get unemployment

Use your saving
RetirednHappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:39:48 AM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

Doubt it, for a one-day, infrequent furlough. Usually have to be unemployed for a minimum period of time (like at least 2 weeks), depending on your state regulations.   
Ryos  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:05:44 AM(UTC)
Ryos

RetirednHappy wrote:
Usually have to be unemployed for a minimum period of time (like at least 2 weeks), depending on your state regulations.   

And then you're supposed to give back the money when the government resumes business.  Now I guess if the Federal government shuts down for good, things get really interesting. LOL
hrpeopleperson  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:24:42 PM(UTC)
hrpeopleperson

We are talking federal and state administer the federal unemployment insurance program. It has to be at least a week for it to be worth filing - most states make you wait a non-payable week before you can collect benefits.

You might be eligible - I am going to file on March 5 if it even looks like its going longer than a week. I am a single mom and to the poster who said use your savings - my savings will be gone by the end of March. The best answer is contact your local employment commission office now and figure out what you need to submit. Most places you can file on-line if necessary.

The other thing is we may not get paid for the time we're out if Congress determines its a furlough we're SOL.

hrpeopleperson  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:25:39 PM(UTC)
hrpeopleperson

One other thing federal employees are eligible if they are furloughed. However, you do have to meet other requirements like enough wages in the base period.
The HalfBreed  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:33:22 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've seen some paid for unemployment...there was one guy on this board who claimed he GOT the unemployment benefits, but was paid for the unemployed furlough time by the US Gov't for his period of being furloughed later on.
I told him that he was LEGALLY required to pay back the unemployment bennies he received.
He laughed.....
Hopefully he was or will be fired....or forced to pay it back, with interest.
Choose your weapon well.....that sword cuts BOTH ways.

The HalfBreed2011-02-23 19:40:14
RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
hpspin  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:14:19 AM(UTC)
hpspin

During the second shutdown in Dec '95 - Jan '96, after about a week or so, I was told by my supervisor to file for unemployment in CA, which was prepared to receive such claims from Federal workers.  Just when I received my first unemployment check in the mail, the gov't shutdown was over, and I returned the check uncashed, since we retroactively received pay for that period.hpspin2011-02-24 13:20:23
thalweg  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:56:30 AM(UTC)
thalweg

There are never any guarantees that federal employees will get back pay in the event of a a furlough from a government shutdown so I think it is a prudent thing to file if furloughed.  If it is like last time it will not be clear if the furlough is going to be a day, a week, a month, or longer.  I'm crossing my fingers that there will not be a furlough but the politics are quite unpredictable.
hrpeopleperson  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:31:04 PM(UTC)
hrpeopleperson

Thalweg, you said concisely what I was trying to say. I would return any unemployment received if we are paid for those furlough days. However, I think its 50/50 given the extreme political climate these days. I know things are rough but I didn't think it was lynch the public sector rough.
whockawhocka  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:33:05 PM(UTC)
whockawhocka

I haven't claimed unemployment before, but I was wondering how do you return unemployment money?  is there a particular form or do you write a check address to something?
hrpeopleperson  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 4:29:04 AM(UTC)
hrpeopleperson

I would guess that you would call the state you file in.
suezeekay  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:52:53 AM(UTC)
suezeekay

People like you.  Always trying to be the moral police for everyone else.  Take care of yourself and leave others to their own conscience.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed