Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grampi  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:22:18 AM(UTC)
grampi

Groups: Registered

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to as I don't see being furloughed as any different than being laid off.
Knight  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:50:13 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
where does the unemployment money come from?
daniel175  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:12:09 AM(UTC)
daniel175

From the state you live in...same as everyone else's unemployment.

Just in case it happens I hope we would be able to draw.  I really can't afford to be furloughed. :-(

RJR00  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:25:59 AM(UTC)
RJR00

take if for what is it worth, but in 1995 all employees who got laid off got back pay, while some of us still had to report.  Sort of a catch 22, but I would have liked to have been off knowing that I would get paid.  Who knows what will happen this time.  Congress stinks, they are missing the real problem, but it will never change.  Just roll with the punch.  You should have enough saved to survive at least 6 moths anyway.  If not, maybe next time you will.  Lesson learned.
Leonard12  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:32:25 AM(UTC)
Leonard12

RJR00 wrote:
take if for what is it worth, but in 1995 all employees who got laid off got back pay, while some of us still had to report.  Sort of a catch 22, but I would have liked to have been off knowing that I would get paid.  Who knows what will happen this time.  Congress stinks, they are missing the real problem, but it will never change.  Just roll with the punch.  You should have enough saved to survive at least 6 moths anyway.  If not, maybe next time you will.  Lesson learned.

With that smart a$$ remark you obviously are not a GS9 or lower living in an expensive area. Good for you, however, many do depend on being paid for survival and a loss of income for a few weeks can be stressful.
Knight  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:04:24 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Half the cost of unemployment benefits is paid by the FED. If we shut down will the funding be there or will the states have to go it alone, causing even more woes?

Costs are Truly Shared by Federal and State Government
Operating as a federal-state partnership, UC is based on federal law, but administered by the states. The UC program is unique among U.S. social insurance programs in that it is funded almost totally by either federal or state taxes paid by employers.

Currently, employers pay federal unemployment taxes of 6.2 percent on the first $7,000 earned by each of their employees during a calendar year. These federal taxes are used to cover the costs of administering the UC programs in all states. In addition, the federal UC taxes pay one-half of the cost of extended unemployment benefits (during periods of high unemployment) and provide for a fund from which states may borrow, if necessary, to pay benefits.

Beagle  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:48:25 AM(UTC)
Beagle

RJR00 wrote:

Yeah only about 25% of the federal government will be furloughed and the other 75% will still need to work.  This does not include the military and Postal service which are not affected.

I need some days off to chill and get back pay.  But I'm part of the 75% so not going to happen.  I might get a little annoyed if it lasted longer than a month.

The ones furloughed won't even feel it if it was less than 2 weeks.
elcid89  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:54:45 AM(UTC)
elcid89

Beagle wrote:
This does not include the military and Postal service which are not affected.

AFAIK it also doesn't include public safety. Cops and firefighters usually aren't affected.
You might be a firefighter if your kids are afraid to get into water fights with you ...
Beagle  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:01:27 AM(UTC)
Beagle

elcid89 wrote:
Beagle wrote:
This does not include the military and Postal service which are not affected.

AFAIK it also doesn't include public safety. Cops and firefighters usually aren't affected.

Yeah they're part of the 75%.

The military and postal service aren't included in that 75% calculation.

So if you wanna take the entire government then only about 12.5% will be furloughed.  The vast majority will still need to work.
Beagle  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:04:58 AM(UTC)
Beagle

To answer the OP question.

No they will not be able to draw unemployment.

Ryos  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:43:18 AM(UTC)
Ryos

Highly unlikely that any potential government shutdown will last long enough that you could draw unemployment.
whockawhocka  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:40:17 PM(UTC)
whockawhocka

Was just gonna say this...You probably will not be furloughed long enough to draw unemployment.  That being said, I think my department will probably be furloughed...but I can't imagine how behind we will be on processing tax returns and whatnot.  Definiately not looking forward to being furloughed then coming back to a mountain of work.
hrpeopleperson  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:50:31 PM(UTC)
hrpeopleperson

If its longer than one week, I am still filing. The last shutdown was 20 calendar days. Just something to think about,
daniel175  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:17:19 PM(UTC)
daniel175

Well i'm sorry I don't have 6 months worth of salary saved up.  I'm only a GS-5 and I have bills to pay.  Thanks for your concern though.
grampi  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:21:39 PM(UTC)
grampi

Beagle wrote:

Based on what? Is this an OPM law?  
grampi  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:28:28 PM(UTC)
grampi

Ryos wrote:
Highly unlikely that any potential government shutdown will last long enough that you could draw unemployment.

This has nothing to do with the possible gov shutdown. What this has to do with is the House of Rep budget proposal for the remainder of fiscal year 2011. They have proposed a budget cut of 28% for my agency and that proposal is now going to the senate to be voted on. Worst case scenario, if the proposal is approved as is, our entire office will be shut down for 27 consecutive days sometime between March and September to meet the budget cut. All office employees would be furloughed for the 27 days. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to draw unemployment during this time. It's no different than being laid off.
Ryos  
#17 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 8:50:13 AM(UTC)
Ryos

grampi wrote:
Ryos wrote:

This has nothing to do with the possible gov shutdown. What this has to do with is the House of Rep budget proposal for the remainder of fiscal year 2011. They have proposed a budget cut of 28% for my agency and that proposal is now going to the senate to be voted on. Worst case scenario, if the proposal is approved as is, our entire office will be shut down for 27 consecutive days sometime between March and September to meet the budget cut. All office employees would be furloughed for the 27 days. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to draw unemployment during this time. It's no different than being laid off.

Thanks for clarifying, I just assumed you were talking about the shutdown.  As far as furloughs go, unfortunately, you're considered to the Federal government as being in a nonpaid employed status (quite similar to LWOP).  You aren't even allowed to get a temporary job during furloughed time without getting management to approve it as a second job.  So no, you wouldn't ordinarily qualify for unemployment in that circumstance because even though you aren't being paid, you aren't out of work either.  Note this depends on the state you live in because some of those do apparently give a prorated amount for furloughed days because they consider you temporarily unemployed.  Considering how long you're looking at being furloughed, it's worth investigating your state's rules on the subject.
boxkicker  
#18 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:09:14 AM(UTC)
boxkicker

Are employees entitled to unemployment compensation while on furlough?

It is possible that employees may be eligible for unemployment
compensation, especially if they are on consecutive furlough days.
State unemployment compensation requirements differ. Agencies or
employees should submit their questions to the appropriate state office.

Can I take another job while furloughed?

Even while on furlough, you are still a government employee and must still abide by outside employment rules. According to the code of ethics, "An employee shall not engage in outside employment or any other outside activity that conflicts with his official duties."

Beagle  
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:03:12 AM(UTC)
Beagle

grampi wrote:
Beagle wrote:

Based on what? Is this an OPM law?  

Boxkicker is right, it depends on your state.  So you should call your state unemployment or visit their site.
aftester  
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:40:27 AM(UTC)
aftester

There's always Taco Bell, minimum wage is pretty high in some places ;)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed