Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans." (Source: www4.va.gov/about_va/vahistory.asp)

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dkool  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2011 6:08:15 AM(UTC)
dkool

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I am a new member to the forum, so let me say hello to all.  I am a VA Nursing Assistant.  Last year, nursing assistants were added under Title 38 Hybrid Appointments.  I didn't quite know what that meant, but just went with it.  Today, I received an email from OPM stating that a new SF-50 has been added to my file.  Well, I looked at it and it stated that my appointment status has been converted to Excepted Appointment.  Now, my 1 year probation is over on Tuesday.  I asked my supervisor what this meant, and she said that she was pretty sure it just meant that my probation was over.  So my question is, is this Excepted Appointment just mean I'm permanent now?  Shouldn't I be career conditional now?  My status in my service record now says Excepted without time limits.  My supervisor said that there was nothing to worry about, which I'm not worried, I just want to know what this exactly means.  Do Title 38 employees not follow the the Probationary/Career Conditional/Career track?  Does this mean I'm in for life?  I haven't been able to find anything that tells me for sure.  Thanks! 

lilsput2001  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 4:42:11 AM(UTC)
lilsput2001

Located the information on one of my favorite sources.  Please see the below link.

Although I worked excepted service for the State Department that time was not added when I went back to work for DOD. However I believe your situation will prove to be much different from mine.
beckrules  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:47:29 PM(UTC)
beckrules

Have you heard anything about your status? Im gonna be in the same boat soon!
mddlrthr2  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:31:37 PM(UTC)
mddlrthr2

Employees in the Excepted Service are placed in the following tenure groups:

a. Tenure Group I - Permanent employees whose Excepted Appointments are without limitation or do not require serving a trial period.

b. Tenure Group II - Employees who are serving trial periods, or whose tenure is conditional for the first three years after non-temporary appointment.

mddlrthr2  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:32:12 PM(UTC)
mddlrthr2

Excepted Service employees are not eligible for selection priority in other agencies under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan.

You are generally not eligible for selection priority if you are:

* in the excepted service (unless your agency gives special selection priority to excepted employees);
* downgraded or reassigned due to reduction in force, but not separated;
* in a different local commuting area from the vacancy;
* in a temporary or term position in the competitive service;
* in an agency that is not in the Executive branch;
* in an agency that does not follow OPM hiring procedures (this includes Postal Service, legislative and judicial branch agencies); or
* in the Senior Executive Service (SES).

mddlrthr2  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:39:01 PM(UTC)
mddlrthr2

Employees in the Veterans Health Administration are appointed under 38 U.S.C., chapter 73

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/38C74.txt
Rss Feed  Atom Feed