Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rankin91  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:16:15 AM(UTC)
rankin91

Groups: Registered

Applied for FERS disability retirement more than a year ago (USPS HR forwarded claim to OPM) and have never received any communication from OPM regarding my claim. Repeated phone calls to OPM have yielded conflicting info ranging from 1) no record of claim 2) OPM has such a backlog of claims it may take two years or more to get to your claim. Congressman has been unable to get any information from OPM.  (My SSDI claim was approved in less than six weeks.)  Any advice on how to get some definitive information about the status of my claim from OPM would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
oktoots  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:16:55 PM(UTC)
oktoots

The reason why OPM and the congressman have no information is because you have no CSA# assigned to your case. Your DR  package should have gone from HRSS to Boyers, PA, which is the Retirement services center and they would have sent you a notification within 90-120 days last year that they received your package and they would have given you a CSA#.   Then it would have been forwarded to OPM in Wash.DC to be adjudicated.

When you call OPM, they have no CSA#(case#) to refer to to help you. At this point a lawyer, like Mr. McGill may be able to help you. Are you separated from the PO yet or are you on LWOP? If you have to re-submit your package, along with the SSDI receipt, not being separated is a plus because you don't have that 1 year time limit.
  Your biggest error was letting the PO handle the entire package. Once you had all your info from them, you should have taken charge of it and sent it to the appropriate address yourself.
   I would call a lawyer for advice. If not McGill, then another who specializes in Fed.DR. 
multiple identities to 0%
irwin37  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 11:43:10 PM(UTC)
irwin37

Did you get a CSA number?   

If not you can use your SSN and call 202-606-02974 or 202.606.0290 and 0280.   Someone should be able to look it up.  OPM generally has 90 days to process a claim after it has been assigned to a caseworker. 
fedjoe  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:24:21 AM(UTC)
fedjoe

I have a question on your high 3 years when you hit MRA and its your DA converts over to regular retirement.

Will your high 3 years be recaluated on those years on DA based on what your current pay would of been?  Example is, my current 80% recovery is based on a GS 9 step 8.  As the years goes by will my high 3 be based on my high GS 9 step 8 during DA?

According to OPM regs, the intent is to convert DA to regulatar retire as if you were still in service at the time of MRA.

gonna b broke  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 5:50:54 PM(UTC)
gonna b broke

I have been told my case is in calculation how much longer will this case take? I am already approved as a disability case. but I have heard ithas gone to anywhere from calculation to finalization I have never heard any of these steps within OPM.
StandStrong  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:51:48 AM(UTC)
StandStrong

rankin91 I feel your pain, it sounds like the Postal Service HR department screwed up your disability retirement application. Oktoots is correct in that once OPM received your DR application at their HRSS department in Boyers, PA you should have received a CSA Number. Since you were approved for SSDI, I’m assuming that you are no longer working with the USPS. If I were you I would start with the USPS HRSS where they should have a copy of all of the documents that were or were not sent to OPM at Boyers, PA. Basically you need to retrace your steps and I would start with the USPS HRSS and press them to resend your DR application asap and for them to send you copies. Also, you should have made copies of every document that you submitted to the USPS HRSS. I hope this helps, take care and keep your head up.

GSBS  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:00:05 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
gonna b broke wrote:
I have been told my case is in calculation how much longer will this case take? I am already approved as a disability case. but I have heard ithas gone to anywhere from calculation to finalization I have never heard any of these steps within OPM.
That is  different, in calculation?  In an OPM regular retirement they use the terminology "adjuster" or "auditor"  a lot.  I'm almost sure our case manager does all the figures & submits the finalized packet for payment.
GSBS2012-03-24 13:09:48
beulah  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:53:39 AM(UTC)
beulah

i hope this can help, my hr dept sent me a copy of all documents they submitted to opm. i saved it until they approved my claim.maybe others received their documents from hr.i would call hr and ask them for a copy of what was sent if u didnt receive it. GOOD LUCK!
oktoots  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:13:00 AM(UTC)
oktoots

gonna b broke wrote:

Since you have been approved, the letter from OPM should have explained what should happen next. Once they receive from your agency your last day in pay status, OPM can begin issuing interim payments. If they haven't started, it should take a few weeks. This period will last (and it could be 6-8 months) while they continue processing your claim for finalization.
   I guess they now call it the calculation stage, but it's the same thing. When you are finalized you get a small blue book with your calculated regular annuity for the first year.
multiple identities to 0%
Rss Feed  Atom Feed